TKR Not sure how to feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! The drive out to CA was not bad at all! I've been doing ok here and I don't seem to be bringing as much attention to my icing and elevating so friends aren't noticing enough to comment! Good! I've done some stairs - wow! Those are hard. When I get home I think I'm going to have to do stairs more often to get used to that bend! Happy New Year everyone and hope it's going well for everyone! :)

I am glad to read of how great you are doing! You have a tremendous attitude, too!!

Those stairs are pesky and can be one of the last things to come more normally...I remember going through the same issues as you---take them slwly and gently and the strength and the ROM will get better!
 
Glad to hear your drive wasnt too bad Micha and glad you are coping ok with the icing and elevating. Hope you have a Happy New Year and more importantly a very Healthy one. Take Care. :martini:
 
Thanks Tim - I think that's good advice for me to take it slowly on the stairs - I was so surprised at how difficult they were! It'll come. Patricia, you have a happy new year too and I'll see you on the other side with some kind of plan for exercise! I don't think I'm up for dieting though. Usually if I exercise and stay out of restaurants and away from wine (yummy) I do ok! I hope! lol xox
 
I think the stairs, for me, were the pinnacle of recovery---by being able to go up and down in a normal way---AKA pre-surgery but without pain---was the signal that I was pretty darned closes to being fully recovered.

It is so very frustrating, I know---but just be gentle and take your time; you are doing fine and those stairs will help you strengthen and stretch our knee's ROM, too.
 
Hi again everyone - thinking about you all and hoping things are improving! I finally feel I've come to a place in my recovery that isn't so daunting and all-consuming! I go periods of time during the day without thinking about my knee or having to pay attention to it! (until I get "stuck" in the car because I tried to get out some silly way!) I'm trying to exercise a little and become stronger which makes everything sore but that feels right and familiar! :dancy: I am able to ride my bike over 10 miles and I know that will just get better. The other day I went up a short flight of stairs and realized I just went up without thinking about it or having pain! I am so surprised and happy that I can finally write all this! I take no pain meds during the day - don't even think about it! In the late evening or night, I will usually take one and do a major session of icing and elevating and I'll keep doing that until I naturally find I don't need to. I wake up with a good, sort of normal size knee that moves pretty well and it progressively becomes all stiffy and swollen during the day - it doesn't scare me any more - I know this will just get better over time. That's really it - I'm not so scared any more...I finally believe I will have a complete recovery! You all did tell me this would happen and I don't know what I would have done without you telling me and supporting me and giving me encouragement...thank you so much! :thankyou: I hope anyone who is having a hard time can read my post and realize there is light at the end of the tunnel - everyone's journey is different - but it does get better and sometimes just knowing that helps. Love you guys and appreciate you so much! :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...

WHAT A GREAT UPDATE!!!! And it will continue to get BETTER & BETTER. Just keep up the good work, take care of yourself, keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
 
:yay:for the stairs!
 
I find I am able to do the stairs more of late too. I am having no problems going up, and a little more issues going down. But its getting better. So glad you are seeing some positives in your recovery. Hugs!
 
Hi hi hi! Well I can not tell you I am so dang happy I have done this - but! I can say I don't feel like I crippled myself anymore...I have ridden both my bikes, hybrid and road and I am good to go - just need to work on increasing the mileage. It's hard but ok. I go hours now without thinking about my knee! I am rarely in pain - but still have stiffness and swelling - almost so what compared to the pain! My calf never hurts like it did before surgery and I hiked - yup - hiked! 2 miles this weekend - that will only get better too! I may try spring skiing but if I don't then next year it'll be a go - I just want anyone who is hurting and scared and sad and so not sure to know it really does get better! I never thought it would - but just over 4 months and I am me again! Yippppppeeeeeeeee!!!! It will happen for you - just follow the mantra, come here to this wondrful forum, and try to do what you want to do when the pain is minimal! You got it! I never thought I would feel this happy again! :bicycle1:
 
OMG! That is so fantastic!! You are the new poster child for TKR's. Good for you!
 
Well thank you elisea! lol no poster child ever whined as much as I did or felt so sorry for herself! Really! That's sort of why I want all newbies to know there is a life after all of this! There really really is....and I never would have found it without all of the love and support from bonesmarties! xo:thankyou:
 
Micha, that is a great report. I also found four months to be a magic time in my life post surgery too. I envy you riding your bike--I miss mine in the winter. But skiing is fun too. K
 
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
Micha!!!! Another almost satisfied customer, and it will continue to get better and better as more time passes. You'll be surprised how "normal" you'll be feeling in another couple of months. But it is a kind of rite of passage to discover that surgery was the right thing to do. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
So pleased to hear your good report my little exercise buddie. You are a good example to all of us who arent quite there yet. Keep up the good work on your bike. Going up the stairs..... Must be lovely. x x
 
Micha,
What a great report, thanks for letting us know how you are doing. The only way from here is up and forward. If I remember right I was about 6 mos when I finally felt like me again, and when it came it came quick.
 
Hi! I woke up this morning and decided to count weeks - it has been 24 weeks which is sort of 6 months :yay:I will count it as 6 months either way. Let's see, driving is easy, I can sleep once in a while 5 hours without waking, I can ride both my road bike and mountain bike with very little pain (although I still can't get up some hills I used to do but that will come), and I can do stairs without looking like someone's great grandmother :rotfl: ! I do get stiff and swollen almost every day but I always ice and still go to bed with an ice pack at night. I'm not sure how much I'm bending but it seems good enough as long as I don't have to get on my hands and knees and search for dog toys! :puppysmooze: Life is pretty much back to normal...I worry about wearing shorts but I'll get over that. And I know I need to be more diligent about exercise...ugh! This has been a long road but I've met some wonderful people here who have inspired and helped me as they struggle and share. Thank you all so much. :thankyou: I'll check in again just to see how you're all doing and if I get to swim in the ocean or make it up a treacherous hill, I will let you know! Bless all of you and take such good care of yourselves...xoxo Micha :bicycle2:
 
Fantastic, isn't it great when you suddenly feel like yourself again! I don't worry about wearing shorts, heck after all I went through I almost want people to know!! You will swim in the ocean, I've done it! I can get down on hands and knees, not pretty , but I can do it and you will too.
 
Micha, Great report!:thumb: Isn't good to know that you took the big leap and got your knee replaced, and you are the better for it! Congratulations on your 6th month kiddo! Give yourself a big pat on the back for this one!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom