TKR Not sure how to feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Micha I am 8 weeks out and still on pain meds and still walking with a limp. I couldn't get to PT until 6 weeks out becuz the pain meds made me so sick that I got a bad case of gastritis. But just started PT and made great improvement in just a short time.

If you look in the library up above, you will find some exercises listed that might help. Big hugs!

Micha, I think so many have arthroscopic knee surgery that they underestimate the tka---after all, it is MAJOR surgery!!!
It is okay to ask friends to visit if they call to help. The women from my ski group took me to lunch once a week for the first six weeks!!! Those were great outings for me!! K

...totally taking it easy today and accepting this is going to take time has made a huge difference!... I will ... follow the bullet points, and give myself a break!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is your time. You have been SERIOUSLY invaded by a loony with saws, knives, HAMMERS and stuff, it's no wonder it takes time. You may now watch TV all day, without getting up.

The key is healing exercises (gentle stretching ONLY) until healing is done, only then strength and fitness. Imagine a broken leg - you don't exercise that to make it better, you wait until it IS better.

Good luck.

Good point about arthroscopic surgery (or even an open ligament or tendon repair). In the former, the incisions are minimal and so is the internal manipulation of tissue; in the latter, it's a repair of an already existing injury. A TKR creates an injury--bones sawn (leg broken in two places) as well as pounded and a whole lot of cutting and then suturing. I had arthroscopic surgery twice but had no illusions that a TKR recovery would be as swift--my OS and his PA did a great job of pre-educating me.

Glad you're finding the site helpful and you're feeling a bit better, micha. We all "get it" here.

Hi everyone - I read so many posts and want to say something to everyone - but mostly this is just the best place! Whenever I feel down, need advice, need encouragement, or just the feeling that I"ve got company in all this, I come here to see how everyone is doing! My knee is doing ok - sometimes better than others and it's usually because I overdid or didn't pay attention. I tried a spa last night but later that was ouch! It did make stretching easier though. I'm not as faithful about my exercises as I could be, but I'll get back on track. My leg has the hardest time straightening - bends well, but straightening is very painful and makes standing on the leg difficult. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks so much and have a great weekend! :) tkr 9/24/12 ( i can't figure out how to get that to automatically show up! )

Hi Micha, just a quick welcome and I'm so happy you found us! I wish everyone could have found this sight before surgery, like I did! But I'm glad you're here now! I had both done in June and it all gets better, be patient!

Hi everyone - I read so many posts and want to say something to everyone - but mostly this is just the best place! Whenever I feel down, need advice, need encouragement, or just the feeling that I"ve got company in all this, I come here to see how everyone is doing! My knee is doing ok - sometimes better than others and it's usually because I overdid or didn't pay attention. I tried a spa last night but later that was ouch! It did make stretching easier though. I'm not as faithful about my exercises as I could be, but I'll get back on track. My leg has the hardest time straightening - bends well, but straightening is very painful and makes standing on the leg difficult. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks so much and have a great weekend! :) tkr 9/24/12 ( i can't figure out how to get that to automatically show up! )

I'm just the opposite! Straightening is much easier for me to work on than bending. Bending HURTS! Good luck!

Hi - just came to look around and read - it always helps. I'm having a hard day...trying to dose down the meds and having more pain again - arghhh. I had a massage and that really helped with straightening my knee. Most days are slowly getting better (although never fast enough for everyone in my life!) but I struggle with impatience and wanting to be more mobile. Thanks to you all for being here! :)

Hi Micha, I had a tkr on my right knee on October 22, 2012. I only found this place 2 days ago and am so grateful I did. I wish I had found this site sooner but we are both here now and that is what matters. I had and have all the same issues you mentioned and realize after reading finding this site that everything I am feeling and experiencing is normal and that I am not alone. I am doing ok but still have a lot of pain, clicking and swelling. I am glad you are here and that we can share our recovery journey with each other and everyone else on this site. Everyone has been so supportive and kind. The journey is long and hard but you are now with others who are here to help.

Good morning Geoffs and Marianne! Marianne - I would also love to be a size 6, lol, and be able to bend and straighten this dang thing. I would also love to sleep until all that happens! Geoffs - you are about a month after me so I am so sorry for all the pain you're feeling - and the emotional upheaval if ur at all like I am...now I will actually have a day or two without crying or feeling down. This whole thing is hard but it is true that it's easier if I stay positive. Marianne - how are you doing with pain meds? I'm trying to dose down and finding myself really struggling again. I'm not sure if it's because I still need more or if it's because I'm becoming dependent. I appreciate your input! You all take care!

Micha if you are still having pain, then you still need your pain meds. I am at 13 wks and still using pain meds. Less now, but I still need them. By the way, I saw my OS on Thursday and he moved me from Dilaudid to Percoset (without Tylenol) and I had no withdrawal issues or anything. Hugs!

Hi Nanners - that is good to hear. I don't want to be hard on myself so it helps to know how you all are doing. I definitely can not do this yet without pain meds - but I thought I could take them with a little more time inbetween...I'm only taking 1/2 a Loritab 7.5 with tylenol every 4 hours and am trying to go 5 hours...it's ok sometimes but not all the time so I think I will let my knee be in charge and I will call in another script when I run out. I'm starting to add Alleve which helps a little sometimes. I have another question for anyone - if you are not seeing a PT how can you know how many degrees of a bend you have gotten back? And, is there any way to know how much to expect or do you just keep trying until it bends someday? Thanks!
:headbang: I just like this guy banging his head! too funny!

:headbang: I just like this guy banging his head! too funny!

LOL!!!

As far as "what to expect", haven't you figured out by now that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT? :) Some people have 125 after 4 weeks and some, like me, are struggling to reach 80. I think it depends on how bad things were before surgery and the type of surgery you had and how abusive your surgeon was with you during it, not to mention how much swelling you continue to have. As long as you keep increasing that ROM week by week, you are fine. If you can't get it to 90 and you can't seem to get any farther after a few weeks, then you may want to get it checked out.

Micha, If you already have pain and are trying to stretch the time between your dose on meds your not helping yourself. It will take longer for your next dose to take effect and you end up chasing the pain. It is better to follow the perscription and take them on schedule. You will know when you can cut back when you forget to take a dose because your no longer in pain.

I used to lie face down on bed , with a book to read, and just bend my legs up and down ad I read. Gravity helped with the straightening bit! I often fell asleep on the bed.

Hi Micha, Nancy's advice for straightening is good. Also in the same position just letting your legs hang down. You will feel the stretch. I rolled an old beach towel to make a cylinder about 8" diameter. Then sitting on the bed with my legs straight out, rest the affected ankle on the roll for a minute or so. You'll feel the stretch. My PT had me do that 5 times twice a day and pretty soon the knee was straighter. Those ligament can get very tight. Good luck. I'm glad you found the site.

Hi - I'm going to try the lying facedown - that sounds good! I do the bolster under my ankle (omg that used to really hurt in the very beginning!) and it must help because I can do it longer now. Today was a good day - lots of movement and I could tell it wasn't so stiff or swollen inside - nice! Thanks everyone! xo

:spin: Funny girl! Guess who is icing, elevating, medicating, and resting today because she felt so good yesterday! Pacing is an art form! I will learn - my knee is forcing me to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom