Guest viewing is limited

TKR Not sure how to feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
Micha, I can almost promise you that you will over do again when you're feeling good in spite of all your good intentions. We all do it. We think we've got it---but usually we don't because we just can't seem to help ourselves when we feel good and don't start hurting until it too late. But the main thing is that you enjoyed whatever you were doing and it was worth the grief afterward. But you have done exactly the right thing today. Nothing beats medicating, elevating and icing, and resting. Take care.
 
I'm excited and a little nervous. I called my surgeon and asked for a follow up with the office PT just so I could have some idea "officially" how my knee is doing. I see the PT that worked with me right after surgery on Thursday. He will just do a screen but I am happy that they will see me. I've done most of this without a PT b/c no insurance so it might be good to have them check on me. :yay:
 
well, I went to the PT and he was very encouraging about my progress. My bend is at 120 and he said I'm just a few degrees off straight - so just keep doing my stretching and exercises. I can go to the gym now and do some weight bearing. It will be nice to go to the gym again. He said not to expect my knee to get more than 125...tops 130...I am hoping that will be enough for skiing and whatever else comes up. He says it will for sure take 6 months to a year to not be so stiff, have less swelling, and feel like I'm healed. He must be reading here! :) It was a positive day so now I'm icing and elevating and thankful that I'm moving along in this process!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
What a nice, positive update, Micha. You just sound so upbeat. Your numbers are excellent and will continue to improve. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
 
I did it! :bicycle1: Today I took my bike out and was able to go round the neighborhood - about 2.5 miles, windy and cold but I was outside! I am so happy. It was a little stiff on the rotation at first but warmed up and went around just fine. I'm staying iced and elevated now just in case - but no pain! :flwrysmile:
 
I did it! :bicycle1: Today I took my bike out and was able to go round the neighborhood - about 2.5 miles, windy and cold but I was outside! I am so happy. It was a little stiff on the rotation at first but warmed up and went around just fine. I'm staying iced and elevated now just in case - but no pain! :flwrysmile:

That is a great accomplishment! doesn't it feel wonderful to attain these milestone? Keep up the great work!

(I wish I could ride today---it is raining and about 40*.)
 
Hi Everyone - I am wanting to post sort of a 3 month recap of where I stand right now and ask for reassurance that I'm doing just fine - this is really the only place that helps keep me centered and not being scared about all the little things with this knee. I feel like I am doing fine with the bending and straightening and I'm very lucky for that. I get stiff and swollen still everyday - but read a post, I think from Nanners, about jumping on her bike several times a day instead of just once to help with feeling stiff, and that works for me. I feel best walking and moving compared to sitting and being still. I still ice many times during the day and especially at night to help me fall asleep. Sleeping is the most discouraging - I can only get 2 to 3 hours at a time and I have to get up, move, get ice, and just walk a minute in order to go back to sleep. Will this get better? During the day I have long periods of time without pain but every once in a while I get a stabbing pain that goes away quickly and sometimes just a severe ache that responds to ice. I always get a jab if I try to bend too much getting in and out of the car or if I tense up my leg throwing clay on a wheel. I am taking 1/2 hydrocodone 7.5 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon and 1 at night. I've tried just alleve or tylenol and it does not seem to help at all. I want to be done with the meds but feel like I will have unnecessary pain and setback without them...but I'm thinking soon I will give up the morning 1/2. So - all in all I feel like I'm doing OK - still have those friends and family that think I really should just be fine by now - so I turn to this family for support. Do you all have trouble sleeping? I've read that almost everyone has problems with the stiffness and swelling for up to a year. And, am I ok on meds or should I try harder to stop completely? Thanks for feedback! :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
This is what you are experiencing at almost 3 months post op. You must remember (and remind your family and friends often, although it's doubtful that they'll ever "get it") this recovery takes at least 12 months, and you are only 1/4 of the way there.

Yes, the walking and moving are better than the sitting (which leads to stiffness), but too much walking and moving leads to pain. So you have to walk a fine line which is almost impossible.

Then there's sleep or I should say the lack of it. This is a bear for almost all of us---and it can go on for up to 6 months. This is an area where you just have to roll with the flow---and do exactly what you are doing now. IT WILL GET BETTER, but no one can give you a time frame---it just comes when it comes.

Then there are those stabbing pains that come out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly. We think they're nerves refiring---and we all have them. They're mean ones. Then the dull ache which comes and goes. Just have to take the pain meds when these show up. Again we all have it, and one day it will just not be there.

What's going on here is perfectly "normal" for the wonderful world of recovery. It is a very long road, and you often have to walk it alone when family and friends can't understand why you're not 100 percent---I mean you look fine and the outside scar looks great---what they don't see or feel is all that stuff that's still going on inside and that will be going on for quite a while longer. That's part of what we're here for---we know, we "get it", we've been there, done that, got the tee shirt---and we care. And as long as you feel the need for your meds, take them. Some of us need them longer than others and there's no shame it that and it does not make you addicted---just still in enough pain to need relief.

Here's a name tag for you to wear when you start to wonder [Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel... just to remind you that there is NOTHING wrong with you-----it's them! Take care and keep us posted, We care.

[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
 
wow - judy your post made me cry - it's interesting how much I "stuff" the feelings caused by people who expect me to be all better! Thank you so much for your post - I will reread it whenever I need to. You all are amazing people! Thank you so much! :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
Least I could do for a fellow BoneSmartie. We have to stick together.

I sincerely hope that you and yours have a very
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
 
Micha sweetness its not me that goes and jumps on the bike multiple times a day. There are some that are super exercisers like Debbiejoints and Elanor. But these guys are also trying to loose weight as well as rehab their knees. For me I am 3 1/2 mos out and will tell you I still experience most of what you feel. I still take my pain meds 3 times a day. But...I do have other health issues going on too that require the pain med, but my knee still gives me grief, so I still use them for that. My knee likes movement too, but after walking alot, I am really achey and sore. I still ice and elevate, but since its getting colder now, I have found I enjoy heat alot. I have alot of hip pain still on the tkr side, and I think its mostly from my walking gait.

So I figure I am only partially thru the recovery, I have a few months more to go to get to where I am totally happy with this tkr. I am still not happy I had it done, but think I will get there one day. Hugs!
 
Take the pills if you need them and don't worry, easy to say, I know. At 3 months I was convinced I'd never get better and had crippled myself for life. Judy s post was so accurate and we ll all tell you the same thing. You are going great! Just keep believing it
 
omg that is really so true and is making me laugh at myself! I really have felt that way - that I have crippled myself with this surgery! Forever! And then I have a good day and remember how much my life was ruled by my pain before the surgery - and I know in time this will be good - not yet! but it will be lol!
 
And then I have a good day and remember how much my life was ruled by my pain before the surgery -

Yes! Pain was the ruler then; Recovery's the ruler now. Recovery's a dictator, to be sure -- but a dictator who will eventually restore you to the freedom of mobility.
 
micha--as others have said if you have pain, you have pain and it's ok to take the pills. Probably pretty soon you'll find you could go down to twice a day and then once and then none--but maybe you'll still take tylenol a couple of times a day. It may take some trial and error. But most likely you'll find you're "overdue" for a dose and realize you feel pretty good and so you're naturally spreading them out.
As Josephine taught me--1,000 mg of acetaminophen (tylenol) is what you need at a time for a good pain relieving dose. But watch your total mgs (no more than 4,000 per day) --esp. if you mix and match over the day--b/c you may be taking hydrocodone that has acetaminophen in it too.
 
Micha i could have written your post myself. In fact I did one very like it last week and Judy was very kind to me too. She has a lovely way with words dosent she. I too am not sleeping, worrying about taking meds too much and am wary of family and friends eyes glazing over when I talk about still having pain. And like you I turn to my bonesmart family for reassurance. Your op was a little before mine but we are going thru the same things. Im going to physio tomorrow first time for weeks. Will be interesting to see my ROM. Take care and be kind to yourself. x
 
Hi everyone! I woke up this morning so frustrated with not being "normal" and came here to read Judy's post from 12/19 - good idea because I feel much better! It's amazing how much I need to keep hearing this is normal, this will get better, there is no time line, and everyone is different! With the holidays I am around people more and walking a lot more and not able to chill (and ice) on my bed as much. I have a 4 hour road trip tmw that I'm dreading and I have 3 days with friends that do NOT get that I still have pain and am still recovering...so its going to be a little stressful. But I'll come see you all if it gets hard and get my hugs that way! I love my friends so I have to remember how lucky I am to even be able to go visit! OK - to keep this on the right track today I'm going to go stretch (per Tim!) and ride my bike - even if I only get this in once today it is better than not at all! Thanks for listening and I hope you all are having great holidays! xox
:dancy: see that lil guy? ha ha he has no knees! that's why he's jumping all over the place!
 
Michael, hang in there. I hope your visit with your friends goes well. Remember to listen to your body and take a few rests during the day...maybe you can plead being in the good part of a James Patterson novel LOL...
BTW...some clever person needs to make us a smiley doing deep knee bends!
 
Hi! The drive out to CA was not bad at all! I've been doing ok here and I don't seem to be bringing as much attention to my icing and elevating so friends aren't noticing enough to comment! Good! I've done some stairs - wow! Those are hard. When I get home I think I'm going to have to do stairs more often to get used to that bend! Happy New Year everyone and hope it's going well for everyone! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom