THR Not old yet but getting right hip done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am an official hippie. Surgery went well and as always they were surprised on the inside.

The original Crack from the femur pushing thru never healed. So I guess I was walking on a broken hip for the last 30 years? Doc added a couple screws and installed a ceramic on ceramic hip. Ice machine running and drain tube installed. Insists I keep cath in till morning. Did get a 100 foot walk in 3 hours post op but nausea is real bad.

So pain is better than before but feels like I was kicked by a horse. Med options in an hour. I am so glad now I did this.
 
Thrilled to see you here!! Just keep reminding yourself that each hour gets better. Slowly. I passed out after my first little walk but it straightened up shortly afterwards. I had a catheter for the first 24 hours and also a drain. They both came out at same time. Didn't hurt a bit. PT felt so good. Just take it easy and don't push. Think of it like you're a child learning how to move for the first time. Patience.

Sending lovely dreams and pain-free days as you recover and begin your new life!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well I am an official hippie. Surgery went well and as always they were surprised on the inside.

The original Crack from the femur pushing thru never healed. So I guess I was walking on a broken hip for the last 30 years? Doc added a couple screws and installed a ceramic on ceramic hip. Ice machine running and drain tube installed. Insists I keep cath in till morning. Did get a 100 foot walk in 3 hours post op but nausea is real bad.

So pain is better than before but feels like I was kicked by a horse. Med options in an hour. I am so glad now I did this. The queasy stuff has to stop
 
Doctor cleared me to go home. Made me sleep overnight but with reservations is sending me home. He wanted another day or two so he could monitor the coumadin and asprin. Drains and cath pulled and wearing my own clothes soon. Better yet bathroom privileges so I can splash bath the itch away.
 
Ask for anti-nausea meds if you need them. Many new hippies have a problem with the heavy duty meds at first.

Here's your official articles to refer to during this recovery. Slow and steady now! Welcome to the other side!
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Listen to @Jaycey, she's got the ticket to a great start to your recovery/rehab at home. Agree on the nausea thing. Controlling it with meds will help you in other ways, too, as you want to move about without getting sick to your stomach. You'll feel so much better once home but remember not to overdo it. Slow recoveries are best in the long run! Great job!
 
Hi @Grumpyjoe
Great that you are on other side and it happens so quickly! Following a recent op I am having aspirin, as you are. It made me feel nauseas but with in three days I got used to it. I began having it between a meal rather than before or after it.

You will have a lot to deal with now but you sound oh so confident in dealing with things. But be kind to yourself allow yourself a little wallow in self pity if you need it or a little tear of post op blues. We all have different ways of expressing the trauma that we have been through but it is great that you have arrived.

[Bonesmart.org] Not old yet but getting right hip done.
 
Well the pain was a big surprise. I am working thru it but sitting standing laying down nothing feels good. From the kind words here I know it is short term and my wife is the best coach and helper.

Things that do make sense. The hip rattles? Not knowing if it is actually the hip joint or muscles wiggling around all I can think of is did I dislocate. The pain on a dislocate is supposed to be hoRaible and I am still coping with pains I have no had in a lot time.

So how is everyone else doing? Short term here and still very glad I had it done.
 
The pain pills really make me goofy. Probably a couple doses to catch up. In the mean time some things I find weird. Every 3 hours I gotta go. Hardly drinking anything but still I could put out a forest fire. Never had this before.
Besides running to pee every 3 hours I try to get a short walk midway making it every 90 minutes a short walk to stretch it out.

I recommended a memory foam mattress for comfort before. Really bad idea. Getting in and out is very hard. Moving in the bed is even worse. After my brother leaves I will probably move to the old fashion bed.
 
Hi @Grumpyjoe :-) . Hope you are resting and recovering quickley. You definitely prepared yourself before surgery. How is the TV chair pedestal working out for you that you made to make it easier to get in and out of your chair? God Bless
 
@apeach the chair is great and a simple project for anyone. The pain makes it hard to stand but compared to the memory foam bed or kitchen chairs my creation is the bomb. When I am a bit more sober I will take a picture. All I used were 2x6 and a small piece of plywood. I am very tall so I needed the height. You could also use 2x4s and lay them on the side too. That wood give you 2 inches 4 inches or 6 inches.
 
Hi @Grumpyjoe
Glad your through the op. Peeing so often, I found out is normal!!! They apparently keep you hydrated through your IV on the day of the op. I remember thinking this is like a waterfall when is it going to end? Took 3-4 days till was back to my normal self. Look after yourself, take it easy and come out shining.
 
Wow you are so creative @Grumpyjoe and I would love to see a picture of your pedestal creation of your TV chair when your well enough. Get lots of R & R and prayers for a speedy recovery. Best wishes :-)
 
@Grumpyjoe
So happy to hear you made it to the other side and are home and resting. Follow the BS Mantra and you'll just fine. My turn tomorrow morning.
 
sounds like the bathroom needs are keeping you up and moving!! Feel better soon! hopefully your pain meds will even out by this evening.
 
Yesterday was real bad. I doubled my pain meds and am feeling much better but real woosy. Today I will call for help with pain management. 5mg of Norco is not enough. Last night I added my flexibility for my sore neck and was able to sleep and mm one much easier. Maybe that will be part of pain management.

Staying on top of pain is very important. I also found changing my ice therapy to my old trusty Donjoy was better. The pad is smaller but it is also thinner so it does not feel like I am sitting on a book. God bless everyone of you out there, you words have helped me more than I can say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom