Guest viewing is limited

THR Not old yet but getting right hip done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never realized the toxicity was so bad. Feeling much Cleaner and healthier. Mobility increases by the hour but pain never changes. Trying different chairs and locations. Walking and isometric help mobility. I think more emphasis on why the stupid isometric exercises are important to healing and flushing out the bad fluids should be told. I am a huge water drinker. I know how much water in a diet helps, and as the body heals the chemicals need to come out. It is the movevent of muscles and fluids pumped in and out that does it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear an update, GrumpyJoe.. maybe you will have a great nights sleep tonight.
 
Glad to hear you're feeling much better! I'm sorry you had a rough go of it up to this point and HOPE your pain decreases steadily from this point on.:praying:
 
There is little I can add by way of advice you have the best in your corner already. However I want to let you know that I appreciate the honesty that comes thru in your posts. Every day gets a little better hang in there.
@Grumpyjoe
 
@Grumpyjoe you're not going to answer my questions then? It's okay if you don't want to - just asking!
 
WOW I finally made it to my laptop instead of reading these off my tablet upside down. I really do not handle pain meds well. I am quite goofy as my daughter has let me know. My wife was being kind to me but I am way out there. It does not take much to tip me over but I can still hold my Irish Whiskey better than anyone else in my family.

That said thank you to everyone trying to help. I can clip and paste questions now and will do my best to explain. I think what I am feeling is just different than what the Ortho folks are used to. I ran large marathons before the original injury and had very strong core muscles that do not take to atrophy well. I am feeling better but still hard to focus more than 5 minutes at a time. No major decisions to be made till I detox.


1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

Posterior that led into some reconstruction with a graft and plates. Still waiting to see how much with the next office visit and xrays. 28 staples with heavy early bruising that settled lower than usual but all from the surgery still. Now almost all bruising is gone with few dark red marks left over. THe extra work was from the break 30 years ago. One crack did not heal and caused some degeneration they cut/ground out then used grafts from same femoral head to fill in.

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Not old yet but getting right hip done.
) Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

Pain is different for everyone and I am very good at isolating what hurts and why. Now I can actually feel which muscle group hurts and why based on incision and locations. So Mornings I am low levels evenings crying and very frustrated.
Today and now I am sitting at about 8 with extreme muscle cramp/spasms. From the outer knee up to just above the implant. icing works sometimes massages help little Norco does nothing. Normally there is a sweet spot you can position in that fells better if not eliminates the pain. Nearest the knee the tendons are rigid in the evening and will not relax feels like a pulled ankle, achilles tear. Over the point of the hip about 6x6 inches square also becomes very rigid and is the feeling everyone calls sandbags. I varies between stabbing and just pulled muscle spasm pain.
Lastly the groin where they pulled and tugged. This I know will take time just because of what they had to do. It is always a stabbing Ice Pick pain that seldom lasts more than 15 minutes. Icing works well.

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
The only meds they will allow is Norco 5/325 that I have added a single 325 Tylenol taken every 4 hours without fail.

4. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?
Icing is with a Donjoy and is pretty much running all day keeping temps down. If the skin is warm I ice. My wife gives me my first load at 6am and I move the pad up and down the leg till about 9am. If I am still warm I will continue but I try to take a break for an hour. Today is the first day of no swelling and skin stays cool to touch. Icing is 30 minutes on 30 minutes off.

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

I walk to the furthest bathroom every 2 hours whether I want to or not. It is about 60 feet from one end to the other. I now get my own water refills using a cute little basket on the front of my walker. I intentionally leave things behind so I have an excuse once an hour to get up and move. 5 hours of the day I am in the front room sitting in a chair then I move to the bed for 2-3 hours and back out to the chair. THe only way I can relieve pressure on the back is on my side in bed. Not easy but it gets me moving.
While sitting I do sets of 10 butt squeezes, flexing thigh pushing knee into a pillow, foot rotations pointing and pulling. When I stand I do mini squats to warm up as the PT guy said, lift foot as close to butt without bending hip, side kicks, and backward kicks and finally the parade lifts. THese are very hard still and hurt so I am not as active. Everything is sets of 10 and I try to do them every time I get up.

I can get in and out of bed now without a leg strap to lift with. Most the time I can move myself around in bed with out help. THe blankets are heavy as my wife is a quilter and she loves a pile. The only help I get now other than fetching is pulling up my pants and socks. Wifey stands by for my showers but I think it is because she loves me. I stand for showers and do not sit as I cannot get up off the chair afterwards it is too soapy. I have a good walker and it dries quickly so standing is not a problem and actually feels good.

6. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

I think this is answered in the question above.

Today was a much better day. I am more alert. I called my doctors office, the medical group and my insurance carrier to explain my communication issues. Still since I called 5 days ago complaining of pain, a rash across the back, extreme constipation, no one has called back with an answer. I did go to the ER/ Urgent care for the bowel issues but still no help otherwise. I think the rash is from the heavy sweating with the obstructions but today I did break out again. I still may be reacting to meds.

Pain used to be the entire thigh front to rear with no specific attachment to activity. Now with swelling down and bruising almost gone I can say accurately it is three different muscle groups and the worst is just muscles not relaxing. I am sure there is some pain with a bone graft but I could not find anyone else that had a graft to say how it felt.

Every one here is awesome. Each day I continue to get better and I am so glad I kept in shape before this. I cannot imagine going through this ill. My strength is getting better daily and my ability to funtion is also changing fast. If I can only get a grip on the pain all will be great.

My wife has been the best with all of this. Last night she was helping lift my leg onto the bed and accidentally pulled my body sideways with the leg. My scream could be heard miles away and we both cried. After settling down we finished getting me settled with new socks. As she did this her nails raked the underside of my extremely ticklish foot. I jumped to the ceiling. This time we both laughed so hard it felt good. We are really going to celebrate when this drama is over. She is an amazing woman and deserves the world.
 
Strange night but I did get some sleep. Pain felt like a fresh break in a soft cast. The slightest movement or wiggle of toes shot through me fast. I am supposed to get a call from my doctor today to talk about the pain and see if we can do anything. I know it will only lead to come down for xrays then "Nothing unusual, deal with it."

I tried Tylenol PM last night at 9 and maybe it helped me sleep better. Still sit up trying to find the sweet spot my leg can relax in. Things get busy today so maybe the activity will keep me preoccupied. I did get a chance to read some of the other posts and I can see clearly no two hips are ever the same. No two recoveries are the same. My mind is much clearer and I feel much better general health wise. If I missed your posting before I will reread today and hopefully be more responsive.

Looking forward to a great day.
 
Well the doctor has hurt feelings because I left the hospital early. With all the sneezing, the rash I came home with, and infections at the hospital I would still leave early. As a consequence he will not call me. I call, they leave a note and no one calls me back with his reply. Whatever. I am beyond this. Time for me to start pushing now. If it is going to hurt I will give it a reason to. I may have an in with a local Physical Therapist for late night treatments. Not much can be done till week 3 but they do have a few ideas. We have worked together before more as sports therapy so it is a freebie out of clinic try.

Mentally I am feeling so much stronger. Agility I am no longer shaking on the walker and will start transferring to much easier crutches. Spent the last couple hours looking at thigh Isometric exercises. I am still determined I need to stretch and flex the muscles to get the bad juices out kind of like post 26 mile marathon. The most discomfort comes from a small square just below the incision that feels tight and is very rigid. It cannot possibly hurt any more at night so I am going for muscle therapy.

It took a few days for me to recover from the stomache issue and it really did throw me a loop. I feel so much stronger everywhere but the right leg. No swelling, no warm skin, body temp is normal again. All I have left is the rash but with the antihistamines it too is going away.

Time to be positive and helpful. SO how about some Hip humor??
 
I am rubbish at humour, other than I thought my trip to the Drs was a bit humerous.

Do you know the surgeon is being funny with you because you left early, or is it a feeling you have? That's still bad form not to return your calls.

My trip to drs, I went in told her I had bilateral THR. she didn't know, so the time I sat and waited while she had no patients in her room, was not taken up reading my notes. So I said that I am pretty certain I have bursitis, went through all the symptoms. She said I had sciatica. No I said, I don't have sciatica, it's bursitis, the nerve pain down leg only happens at night when my butt muscle spasms...anyway she wouldnt have it, and wanted to increase gabapentin for nerve pain and take the dihydrocodeine away and increase the amitrytilline. ...

On the bed I go, legs moved up and down and twisted about. Diagnosis, I have bursitis and no sciatica from back. Medication is amitrytilline for sleep, she never mentioned the gabapentin, gave me 12 days worth of cocodamol, as I may get addicted to dihydrocodeine. Oh and I am not allowed to have a steroid injection into hip bursa as my replacement will get infected.

The only thing I could do when I left was laugh.....not sure what to do now....

She did Ask if I was going to the loo, no I said.....that was it, not sure why she asked.

I hope you don't do too much you hurt your muscles and tendons more. I am 7 weeks in, and am still having aches and pains, besides the bursitis throb in right hip.

Hope things improve for you soon x
 
Well I talked with insurance company and they confirmed I upset my doctor. Oh well. Healthnet now assigns a RN to manage care after any surgery. I got a real nice RN from 35 yrs of Ortho work. She will check in weekly and give suggestions, like be nice to your doctors.

Had a great workout today walked more than I should have but after this past week it felt good. Pain is less with the more work? Whooda Thunk it. I will keep using mornings to expend energy and take my Flexerils during the day when I am awake and less likely to pass out. This is supposed to slow down the muscle spasms and relax some of the tension while working out. Since I am not really strength building yet I have no issues with this plan. Normally no asprin or NSAIDS or muscle relaxers when building strength.

I feel great and am going to rest the last of the day. Store did well too making up for lost income last week. Things are looking good.
 
@Grumpyjoe
That is surprising about your OS. I would think that if he felt that strongly about it and was going to leave your case that he could have at least notified you of that decision!

Something you said in your post above-- are you really not taking any aspirin so soon after surgery? Any other type of blood thinner?
Good to hear that you are feeling better and have a good nurse to help you.
 
14 days Wafarin then 45 days asprin...

Nothing surprises me with medical anymore. A friend of mine went to the hospital from aN injury while a cop. Came out with a flesh bacteria losing both hands and one leg. Even when you have premium care stuff happens. My doctor used to be the lead for the Dodgers sports medicine. He is very talented. I think I said it here somewhere, to be a truly successful medical practice you have to have Sympathy, Empathy, and human dignity. I am a big man and Tuesday he will see what it looks like when the big guy no longer smiles. Still I have my new hip but he and possibly the medical group lost a patient.
 
Last night was amazing. The first night I slept. In all I got almost 9 hours sleep. Not all at once yet but I fell very rested. We tried alternating between hot and cold on the leg. 20 minutes heat, 20 rest, 20 cold....... After a couple hours it was bed time. I had leg fidgets real bad but pain was minimal. Part way thru the night my legs felt like sand bags weighted down. By noon I was feeling great. Now all I have is small pain where the new parts are and occasionally deep inside probably the bone graft. My mind is fresh and clear, I have most my wit and can talk more than 5 minutes without losing track.

So now all I have are simple questions. The staples itch and are starting to get really irritated. Doc was insistent I had to keep them in for all 15 days and they have to stay dry. Normally I would pull my own staples out but these are too far back and I left my tool kit up high in the garage. What do some of the health care folks say about the photo?

What does everyone do with the fidgets? I am sure they go away soon enough too.

I see the dancing coming soon here. Small steps at first. I had a plan to work slowly building core strengths and working towards overall strength over the winter. It will take more discipline but to be limping for so long and having limited ability I want to make it so I can function like any other 54 year old in fair shape. Both the wife and I have slipped with cardio and this is the best opportunity to rebuild.

Thanks to all of you putting up with the darker part of my post op. I will be much more cheerful from here on out. Another day or two and I will be a crutch for someone else to lean on.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Not old yet but getting right hip done.
    IMG_20150805_070753290.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Happyjoe
I am glad you leaping forward. It is such a complicated thing this recovery. Imagine 9 hours sleep I am jealous even if it was intermittent.

I am sure that @Josephine has a brilliant understanding of healing of wounds to give you honest advice. My lay persons view would be don't risk it. I got a wound infection post op and it is not something you would want to risk. Isn't the itchiness the healing in process? I was given a sterilised pack with staple clippers in it for the clinic to use.

The great thing about Bonesmart is that we all give a lot and receive a lot and learn such a lot from each other. We are all so different and yet have lots of very common concerns. What ever you do look after yourself! A big hug to you and your wife from sunny England!
 
Well I am going with no band aid /dressing so I get more air to the staples. To be safe I will also wash it and keep clean skivies too. I sweat a lot on the one side from the healing and I think that is causing the dressing to saok up the sweat and stay on the wound. Even though I do not have much of a tush the doctors assure me it still is prone to tear with sitting and standing as clothing tugs and pulls. Staples stay and if I have to get a lot of alcohol to rinse with so be it. Funny as UK and East Coast is more in favor of wet dressings it seems. Out here we are stuck with dry itchy dressings. The tape is the worst as it pulls no matter if applied when sitting and bent or standing and straight. Yucky but still better than the pain of last week.
 
Glad you are keeping the staples. Yes the tug and pull of the muscles would pull on that incision without the security of staples.
You are sounding more lucid. Good news!
 
Yikes! Your picture with the staples looks painful, itchy, irritating and all of the above. I got super lucky and only had glue and steri strips. I really feel for all of you with those awful looking staples. They just can't possibly feel good!
But for heavens sake.... Don't use dirty old tools from the top shelf in the garage to yank those suckers out! It's not about CAN it be done, it's about making sure you heal with the least complications. Suppose you yank them out to relieve skin irritation, can you imagine the pain of an infection and how much you'd be kicking yourself for doing something so risky?!??


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Well I am going with no band aid /dressing so I get more air to the staples.
Joe, before you do this, I suggest you phone your surgeon and ask him if it's okay to do that. I've never yet met an orthopaedic surgeon who wouldn't go pale and sweaty at the thought of his dressings being tampered with before 10 days days passed. There is a reason for this - it's called infection. You're only 9 days post op, you still have staples in and your wound is not yet healed. It's too risky.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom