THR Not old yet but getting right hip done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason notifications were turned off. I thought everyone forgot about me.

Site looks just as irritated as before. I wipe it with alcohol as advised and have left it open and airy. The itching is just over the staples as I use lotion around the area keeping it far clear of the incision. If it is safe to have soapy water rinse over in a shower I am confident with my cleanings and care I will be OK. For all the cautions they warned me about then me calling in on 3 out of 6 with no call back seems not many are really concerned. They only want to know when the incision is leaking puss. I would not let it get that bad before going in to Urgent care or seeing my primary. Temps are low skin cool just looks ugly.

As for the rest of it, recovery is exponential. I can pick up things I dropped on the floor as long as they are light. I bend the good knee and slide the bad leg backwards as I bend. I do not get 90 degrees on the hip and the muscles do not strain or feel pain. I am almost ready to go to just Tylenol and drop the Norco now. Norco is only morning and night. Wifey helps with socks and shoes still and some of my pants do not flex enough for me to pull up without her help. If I gave it enough time I am sure I would get it but we get in a rush to sit on the porch or watch the news.

I am still surprised at how tired the muscles feel. I am so much weaker in both legs and can see my recovery plan over the winter will be appropriate. I get a lot of spasms on the top front of the leg. No more massages with the doodle bugs as it kicks off the spasms hard. I still am working Isometrics and flexation. Keeping within the dislocation limits make it hard but I have had enough pain for a few years. At nigh I am finding myself rolled onto the good side and my bad leg pulled up in a figure 4. Very painful and against many of my restrictions. It takes a couple of hours to get comfy each morning now.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Things do hurt but not uncontrollable or life controlling anymore.
 
Hi I havent been getting them either....

but that's great things are getting better how long now before those staples are removed?
 
Found you. Do not take out those staples! The nurse will help you out. I am glad you are getting some sleep.
 
Good to hear an update. I figured you were feeling better and just didn't have time to post, sorry you weren't getting notifications.
 
skin cool just looks ugly.
Maybe to you, to me it looks really good!

You're still not answering my questions - perhaps you forgot where they are so I'll post them again

Please answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Not old yet but getting right hip done.
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
Josephine page four near the bottom is a really long post with the answers. It took a while for me to get to a computer to clip and paste. Since then so much has changed. Now I only feel discomfort deep in the joint most likely due to the grafting and carving. Occasionally I have spasms but mostly I just cannot get comfy. Some nerve pain on the femoral after exercises or long walks. I think this will go away with the last of the swelling.

Overall I am feeling so much better and am well on my way to a Hipsters Life. The doctor wants slow progress on weight bearing so isometric exercises for a while. I have plans for many long walks on beaches and city streets next year with the wife. Until then I keep looking for a comfortable way to spend the day.
 
Okay, GJ. But it's midnight here and I have work tomorrow so it will most likely be Wednesday before I get back to you.
 
Good night all. Today was my first day on tylenol only. Seems to be the same effect as Norco without the side effects. Still looking for that comfortable position. Stitches out tomorrow maybe that will help. I will take a picture of the xray so I will see the hardware. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Well done grumpyjoe. I was so much happier when I was just on tylenol/paracetamol. I was surprised that it worked so well, being an every day over the counter med, I thought it would be weak. But I swear by it - really effective. Yipee!
 
Good luck today with your appt!
Good riddance to the staples. :)
 
Glad the staples are coming out and that you are off the "big" drugs. Keep on healing. I haven't needed anything more than ES tylenol since I've been home. I hate the heavy duty drugs and hope I don't need them for the second surgery.
 
Hey, @Grumpyjoe
How did your Dr appt go? Are you free of the staples now?
 
@Grumpyjoe it looks like you and I have had a similar recovery in some ways. I was wondering how you are doing with moving just to Tylenol? I am having a bit of a tough time with it, but maybe that is moore mental and I can power through. It has just been 1 day for me.

What exercises are you doing? My dr just wants me to walk and rest and walk some more. Seems to be working ok for me, but I get feedback from everyone around me that I should have had formal PT. My dr does not feel it helps, so does not prescribe.

Glad to see your recovery is going well.
 
St I ll not getting notifications, hmmmmm. Busy week at my shop. I keep thinking things will go oNE way and they defy my logic.

Weeded off Tylenol to just twice a day. Incision is still pink and soft. There is a hard lump under that will take time to go away. Sitting hurts the most and I cannot get comfy in any chair. I am finding walking, stretching, flexing all ease discomfort. Real work is still out of the question but it has been nice seeing my friends at the store and getting back to business.

I painted a 4x4, drilled 6 holes and hammered 5 nails to display some bird houses. When I got home I passed out/ blacked out. To think 5 years ago I could tip up the walls to a garage in one day. Soon enough I will be there. Small steps and let the bones grow.

When one thinks about healing and the energy it takes it is easy to underestimate what happens. With the bone graft and my new hip molding to my body I use up everything I eat by noon. Dinner is just heavy enough so I sleep but still can heal too. Sleep is still hard even with my body working to grow so much. If I nap I do not sleep at night. Without a nap I am useless after 3pm.

My doctor apologized at my appointment and was impressed I was able to walk, hunt, horseback ride, do all the crazy things I do with the damage and bone loss he found. With the grace of God I do what I can in His name. Sometimes I am not caring for this vessel as most would but I will turn in a well used body when God calls for me. Pain tells me I am alive. 2 weeks ago God told me I am very alive.

Mobility is very good. I can dress with little help. Socks are still hard. Getting up and down is easier, still no floor fun with the dogs. The hip is stiff like a sand bag over new joint. Standing and walking helps. With 50% bearing limits it is slowing healing down but with little bone to hold the new hip I will obey and let it heal.
 
It will take time but I know how much stronger I will be. My doctor thought I could have needed the surgery 10 years ago or more. That is behind me and a new strong hip is in front of me. Just need to let it heal and save the hard stuff for next year.
 
I fel the same way you do @Grumpyjoe. I am at about 50% weight bearing at almost 6 weeks. People keep telling me that the summer is slipping away and I am missing it, but I am willing to go slow, follow orders and look forward to the future when I can start back doing the things I enjoy.
 
The first breat 30 years ago with 6 mo traction it did not heal right. Play my cards right this time and I will enjoy many years dancing and walking with my wife at my side.
 
So glad you got the apology. You shouldn't have been ignored during that time. But you made it through and on the slow path to healing.
Just promise me that we'll get a picture of you doing the pedicure for your wife?
:heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom