Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Good morning, all. Last night was the same as the previous, sleep for 90 minutes or so and up for 30 or so. I am so tired. Of course, I know that this is normal.

I've also developed a new, different pain. It's not awful, but I know it's there. It's on the medial side and about the size of a nickle and the pain is a shooting pain just every so often. Could this be the nerve pain that I've heard so much about?

Also, does anybody know how much these implants weigh? I have gained 4 pounds without eating much. I worked hard to lose 14 before the surgery and now 4 is back. Boohoo!

PT just called to schedule a session and I told them I wouldn't need them, that I know what to do. She asked me if my doctor knew and I told her I didn't know, but that it's my choice, not his. She said she understood. Now, I'm glad that's over with!
 
@sistersinhim,
Glad you are on the other side now. Isn't recovery from that spinal so much easier than coming out of general anesthesia?! Now, ice and rest.
 
Also, does anybody know how much these implants weight? I have gained 4 pounds without eating much
They took out bone, and replaced it with metal, but I am sure it's not a 4 lbs difference. I would suspect it is the fluid in the swollen leg.

Jim
 
Today my new knee is one week old. The nurse came and removed the bandage. It looks good with no seepage so I can still shower. But, today has been the worse day yet for pain. And now with the bandage off everything that touches the incision sets it on edge. The whole medial side of my knee is warm and very tender to the touch. I am able to catch naps 3 or 4 times a day, so that's helping with the brain fog! But, forget reading. I start a page and that's as far as I get. I think tomorrow I will spend less time walking and see if I feel better.
 
I'm not sure if you're supposed to or not, maybe you'd need to ask your OS, PA or nurse, but can you lightly wrap a bandage or similar around your knee for a few days just until it's not so touchy? Congrats on your week old baby knee!
 
The nurse said it would be fine for me to shower. It might make me feel better.
 
I wasn't talking about showering, if that reply was meant for me...lol. I just meant since you said anything that touched your knee set it on edge, maybe you could lightly wrap it for a few days so nothing touches it directly, but since I'm not a medical person at all, ask first if wrapping it's okay.
 
I had a waterproof dressing so I could shower as soon as I wanted. The nurse told me the dressing had a kind of seaweed in it, she said it would look mucky but would promote healing. When that came off (when the staples came out at two weeks) they put a Tegaderm dressing on which is also waterproof, and it protected the inscision. Enjoy your shower, and happy one week birthday to your new knee.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Thank you, ladies. The nurse said that I could put a bandage on it after my shower. She gave me 3. If I use all those, I have bought some big ones from Amazon. If it stays this touchy I will have to keep it covered for a while. My staples won't come out until sometime next week. Maybe then it won't be so sensitive. Nurse also said that I shouldn't be walking over 500 steps a day, instead of my 1450+ steps. That's why today has been bad. I guess it's time to be lazy again!
 
I wore shorts for several weeks after my bandage came off the wound was so touchy to fabric

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:heehee: @jmdearras. Thanks I needed a good hee hee! I just took my first shower and washed my own hair. One small step to normalcy! Maybe it's all in my head, but I think I feel some better, too. It helps getting a bandage on the incision. Now every time the ice pack shifts it doesn't hurt so bad! :)
 
Thank you, ladies. The nurse said that I could put a bandage on it after my shower. She gave me 3. If I use all those, I have bought some big ones from Amazon. If it stays this touchy I will have to keep it covered for a while. My staples won't come out until sometime next week. Maybe then it won't be so sensitive. Nurse also said that I shouldn't be walking over 500 steps a day, instead of my 1450+ steps. That's why today has been bad. I guess it's time to be lazy again!
500 step sounds a little restrictive in your second week but I guess do what you're comfortable with
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also, does anybody know how much these implants weigh?
Try looking in the Library! Never mind - here it is Weight of hip and knee prostheses
I can tell you one thing - they certainly don't weight 4lbs. Jim is right - it's just fluid from the IVs during surgery.
The whole medial side of my knee is warm and very tender to the touch.
A perfectly normal sign of healing.
And now with the bandage off everything that touches the incision sets it on edge.
Then keep it ocvered. Or put Gladwrap (Saranwrap) on it for short periods of time. Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm
Nurse also said that I shouldn't be walking over 500 steps a day, instead of my 1450+ steps. That's why today has been bad.
You could say! You are a silly-billy! Didn't I tell you that the first 3-4 weeks were for nothing but REST? Dear me!
 
@Josephine I am a silly-billy! I thought since I'm not doing PT that walking wouldn't bother me so much. Wrong! It's going to be very hard to walk only 500 steps a day, but I will really sit much more and let things go. I have read so many recovery threads and know what I need to do. Now, I just have to do it or in my case NOT do it! I will be trying the cling wrap trick if night time pain becomes a problem. Right now, it's not pain that wakes me up. It's either my bladder or my age! It has been a problem for years, but with the arthritis pain gone, I should be able to sleep without having to move so often! I can already tell that some of that it gone! What a wonderful relief!
 
I had a better night! I bet it's because I took 2 5mg at 12:30am and 4:30am. I've learned my lesson! I think I actually slept about 2½ hours in a row. That is really good for me. Pain level is about to same. I tried to cut back my walking, but I didn't. I will try harder to walk less today. It's difficult when you're alone and have to take care of the basic things. The shooting pain on the medial side of my knee is better this morning. My incision is still really sensitive so I'm keeping it covered. @Josephine is it OK for me to cross my legs at the ankles? I keep finding myself doing that and not thinking about it. I think I remember reading somewhere to not do that. I have read so much that things are starting to get jumbled!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom