Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I had no issues with using oxycodone and was able to scale down as I recuperated with less pain. I have a pill cutter to cut them in half which was a natural progression. And because of my complication I needed pain meds a bit longer, especially when I started bending a straight leg. You'll be fine, it's still too early to think of cutting back. See how you're feeling at 4 weeks.
 
Sounds like good progress to me. Are you sleeping with the wedge? How are you keeping the ice packs on your knee when you sleep? What kind are you using? Ya I too think it's kinda a non issue for most, re addiction from oxy when used for pain control from major surgeries. I have had 6 in the last 4 years and still have left over 325/10 and 325/5 oxy (Percocet) and some left over hydrocodone(vicodin) , that I use once in a while if I'm having an extreme pain night. But its maybe every 2 or 3 weeks or more. I tend to stockpile them but never took them for fun. In fact I always was happy when pain was at a level I didn't need them any longer. I say use them for what they are for, pain relief! Wine is for fun, pills are for pain, imho ;-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you are feeling better today and you are seeing some progress. It's still early in your recovery so take the meds as you need them. Is there any way you could put the ice packs in a cooler so you could just have them next to your bed and just pull them out? You won't have to get up them to go get one during the night.
 
@KarriB thank you for your encouraging experience with the pain meds. Since my OS has agreed to send me another prescription for the Oxy, I will start taking the 10mg. It's no need to hurt when I don't have to. @dianehelen I am using my two elevator leg lifters I told you about. I am using ice packs at night and a Polar Care Cube during the day. That stays cold only about 3 or 4 hours. I have ordered another brand that is supposed to take large clumps of ice, so it will stay cold longer and I'll start using that at night. The cold packs are from Walmart and are different sizes and brands. They're OK for a short range need, but not for a TKR. They just don't stay cold long enough. I also tried some clay ones from Amazon which are a huge disappointment. They're even worse than the gel ones. Oh, and I made the alcohol/water ones that I got the recipe for on here. They sweat so bad that everything gets wet. I wrapped them in a bath towel and even that got wet all the way through. @newlybionic I hadn't thought of the cooler ideal. The problem with that is the weight of carrying it to my bedroom.
 
When you get your next machine I use the little boxes you freeze for a picnic cooler in mine and a couple of water bottles and I change those out but I don't change the water out every time. It stays colder a lot longer than just putting ice in it.
 
picked up all my meds today that I will be taking after surgery, wow there are lots of them, Oxy, Toradol, aspirin 325 mg, Tylenol arthritis strength, Celebrex, Gabapentin,Colace, laxative, iron pills, and anti nausea meds... I
I'm surprised that your doctors have prescribed them before surgery. It makes sense to have them all there afterwards but I'm curious about the Gabapentin. Is that standard?

I actually did make a chart for my meds as it was overwhelming. A nurse friend brought me a medication record from our workplace so I could record and assure that I'd taken everything, and to just chart how I was doing with my Oxycodone dosages. It really helped, and was familiar to me anyway, being a nurse. I was my own patient. It was amusing to me as well.

Good wishes for your upcoming surgery.
 
@mamazipp I think your post above was meant for @uva55 pre op thread

, I think it was her who posted about picking up her meds pre surgery. Also I was interested in the gabapentin, as my husband takes that for periferral neuropathy, was wondering how that is applicable for knee replacement.
 
Each week gets better and better Paula! I'm amazed at where I am today- (6wks) versus where I was at 2wks! BIIIIIIG difference!

I just a few minutes ago walked down 4 steep front porch steps- holding onto only the handrail then about 8ft across the front yard, unassisted. I felt NO pain!

That was my PT for today- so much fun!!

Hang in there Sweetness- you're right behind me!!

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh WOW @Suz you give me GREAT HOPE and encouragement for my upcoming time.. that is just sooo great to hear you say this
 
Ladies, from all the antibiotics I took in the hospital my good bacteria have been destroyed, too. I've started eating yogurt to help with that. Do any of you have any suggestions? @Suz I haven't attempted any steps since getting into the house last Saturday. One step down unto my deck doesn't have rails and I'm afraid to try that. If I could get to the deck then it's 5 steps to get into the yard with rails on both sides. But, who wants to go out? It's 92* out there with a heat index of 101*! Nope, my butt is much happier in the house with this a/c! Like I said before, these little tiny improvements mean the world to me! I know there will be set backs, but not as bad as there would be if therapy was tearing me up.
 
@Suz that is great, I'm very happy for you and encouraged for the rest of us getting ready for the unknown!
 
Probiotics are usually good to help regain the good flora of bacteria. There's a wide variety of them available. I hope it helps you quickly.
 
@sistersinhim what makes you think your bacteria is destroyed? any symptoms? I eat yogurt for breakfast every day wonder if that will benefit me at all?
 
By the way there are several free medication alert apps available, I just downloaded 2 different ones on my iPad, I will play with them later and give you guys an update which one I liked!
 
@sistersinhim, I also recommend probiotics, I actually started taking them after having problems from antibiotic and have continued with them!
 
I am not allowed to go back on supplements, including my probiotics until I go off of my aspirin, which isn't for another 3 weeks. I can already tell the yogurt is helping. There's less burning. I guess it'll be more yogurt for a while! Thank you ladies for all your suggestions.
 
My ID said I'd have to eat gallons of yogurt to make a difference with my gut bacteria. I was on three different antibiotics, two for 6 weeks, so C-dif was a real concern. My ID instructed me to take a probiotic because of the C-dif fear. I haven't missed a day of my probiotic since surgery and could definitely tell a difference when I had to switch for a month. My stomach was a mess. But if you're feeling a difference that's good.
 
I was using some different wipes. They might have been aggravating things. I'm back to my showering now! I will be getting better. What a joy to be able to shower! I even got in and out by myself. Those little baby steps add up to a normal step! Now, to lose that walker!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom