Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

The closer I got to my surgery more active I had to be. I shampooed carpets, scrubbed floors, cut grass, string trimmed, got groceries, the normal household things. What stopped was my bike riding, hiking, and swimming. I bought a recumbent bike to try and strengthen my quads, but didn't use it enough to help much. I think the more active you are before hand, the better you'll snap back afterwards. Unfortunately, with my arthritis I was unable to do any leg lifts to try and strengthen the quads. Of course, I still can't lift my leg now. It will probably be a while before that'll happen. When it does happen, it'll happen and I won't worry about it now or then.
 
Same thing happened to me, I couldn't do leg lifts for the life of me, then one day it just happened. It will for you too.
Tabby xxx
 
If I don't dwell on it, it'll come and be a wonderful surprise! I'm already moving it more than I was yesterday! It was a very painful afternoon, but I've crossed over that to the relief side and am feeling much more optimistic!
 
Wow, you were WAYYY more active than I have been in years. I'm glad you are feeling on the up side of the roller coaster, at this moment :-)
 
I remember after my TKR I tried and tried to lift my leg, to no avail. Then it just happened, and took no effort. This time I was lifting it within a few days of getting home, but it wasn't as drastic a surgery this time around. One day you won't even think about it and you'll just find yourself lifting it without even thinking.
 
@dianehelen, I'm single, so I had to do those things. It won't be long before I'll have to get back to them. But, in the meantime I'm going to concentrate on my healing only! The less I do, the more I'll be able to do sooner! I was able to lift my leg in the hospital while the knee was still numb. I believe if it didn't hurt so much I would be able to lift it now. But, why should I try and do that and aggravate my already inflamed tissues! I don't have to lift it!
 
You are doing amazing for only being 5 days out...you are an inspiration...I can only hope to do as well next week!!!
 
@uva55 hi from another Florida girl in need of a new knee. Where in Fl are you? Im in Orlando

@Floridagal just had her surgery a few days ago too and is in Gainsville

Welcome to Bonesmart :-) all the best to you
 
@dianehelen Tampa, I'm glad my surgery was not yesterday, the streets by the Memorial Hospital were flooded due to the tropical storm! I picked up all my meds today that I will be taking after surgery, wow there are lots of them, Oxy, Toradol, aspirin 325 mg, Tylenol arthritis strength, Celebrex, Gabapentin,Colace, laxative, iron pills, and anti nausea meds... I think I'm going to have to make a chart to keep up with it all...fun times:flabber:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just put all my meds away today, except the Motrin and Tylenol. I also was surprised at the huge amount of pill bottles in the container my husband put them in for me to take care of after I stopped taking them all. He picked them up at the pharmacy as I checked out of the hospital and he was the one taking care of sorting them into tiny pill containers by time and date needed, so I never really saw them all en masse until today. Phew-there sure are a lot!
 
Another up and down night. It's not so much pain, it's just that I keep waking up. The most I can sleep at a time is about 90 minutes. So, I get up and change my ice pack then, if it's time, take my pill and read some. Oh! I do have some good news! the poop fairy came to visit this morning! Got that one hurdle crossed! I still haven't heard from pt either and I sure won't call them. I think it's time to take a nap!
 
Great news on umm both "ends" ;), pain and poop. heehee

As for the waking up, its normal, I had that for months with my hip nightmare. Then after a few months, one night I went to bed, set out my pills, and my music, for my 2 or 3 am wake up, and low and behold, I opened my eyes and it was 6am! Baby steps. Im just just amazed how well you are doing..
 
I'm just having a bad day and am venting!
Oh sorry!I remember those spells!
I think the more active you are before hand, the better you'll snap back afterwards.
A popular misconception!
I was able to lift my leg in the hospital while the knee was still numb. I believe if it didn't hurt so much I would be able to lift it now.
NOW you got it!
Oh! I do have some good news! the poop fairy came to visit this morning!
Woo hoo!
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Thank you for all the encouragement everyone! Today is a day that all I want to do is sleep! I received some bad news in the mail when I got home on Saturday. My employer is taking me off of disability and putting me on retirement the month I turn 65. I wasn't expecting that. My head is too foggy to call someone about it. They did give me a number, but I have to have a brain when I call. The letter says that I have 30 days to appeal, so I want to start that process. I don't know if it's even worth the hassle of trying. It's hard to fight big business! Another nap time! Oh, and pain level is holding at 2 while sitting and a 5 while walking. I'm very happy with these numbers! Being that in the past narcotics made me really sick, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to take them this time. With the Zofran in me that's not a problem! God is good!
 
Great news on your pain and recovery, sorry about the job issue. Are you not ready to retire? I hope you can find answers that work for you.
 
I'm glad you are doing well. I'm sorry about the job problems. Did you want to keep on working still?
 
My employer is taking me off of disability and putting me on retirement the month I turn 65.
That's horrible! Do they have mandatory retirement there? SS does not kick in fully until you are 68 for our age group, totally not fair.:gaah:
 
I've been on disability since the 90s and was told a while back that I could stay on it until I turn 72 1/2. I've been on SSI and Medicare since then, too. I was planning on building up my retirement about 8 more years before dipping into it. If I can get my head straight enough I'll give the DB board a call. @jmdearras, I didn't know that about SS not being maxed until I'm 68. That will really drop down my income. The only thing my papers from work said that if on disability, at age 65 I have to retire. Doesn't seem fair. I still am unable to work anywhere, especially with another TKR in the near future. God will take care of me, I've no doubt, but I am to be a good steward, too!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom