Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

ahh so you have not been actually working, but on the company disability, and they are moving you from that to SS at 65. I understand more now. Hope something works out for you
 
I took SS at 64 and it was not really that much less than had I waited till 68. Also, even tho its less, its more years I will collect, depending on how long I live. I started medicare last year and thats a really good deal :)
 
Medicare has been a huge blessing! When I go off of SSI, my SS will be more than $1000 a month less. That's a big bite! But, now is not the time to worry about those things. I have to heal! Stress can slow that down.
 
The age of full retirement is different depending upon what year you are born in. I just spoke to Social security about this. For anyone turning 65 in 2016 then 65 is your full retirement age. For anyone else who have birthdays in 1952 to 1954 full retirement age is 66. After that there is a chart on their website with the retirement ages. Anyone can retire and get social security starting at age 62 but will have a lesser amount per month than if they wait until their full retirement age. If you are collecting social security disability you are allowed to stay on that until your full retirement age. Your benefits will be the same amount then. I don't think that SSI will be affected at all but I haven't researched that area.
 
I pray you're right! I will be 65 this year, so that's my full retirement age, I guess. I have heard anything from the SS administration yet. I guess as the time gets closer I will.
I found out I can't stand in one place for any more than a few minutes or the knee will yell at me. And oh, that tight feeling. I'm going to study up on the IT band and see if it's causing my pain. My bruises are really showing up now, too. I was beginning to think they wouldn't make an appearance. Wrong, they're here now.
 
If you were married for 10 years or more and never remarried there is also a way to collect on his record too.
 
Glad to see you made it through to this side of TKR! :wave: Sounds like your recovery is "generally" coming along well. :yes: I think pains in lower back and other parts of the TKR leg are pretty common. Personally I found that heat helped the "odd" pains--especially in my lower back. I liked massage too--although I understand why you must be cautious about that until you know for sure that the pain isn't the result of clots.
 
Nope, neither marriage lasted 10 years. @jmdearras, thanks for the chart. It looks like I need to limp through until next year to get my full benefits. Maybe I can talk my company into keeping me on DB until I can get full SS. They've been good to me all along and maybe will continue to do so. @Kssii good to hear from you. All in all, I'm doing better than I thought I'd be. I'm up and down all the time and never expected to be able to do that. The pain is there, but tolerable. But, sleep, boy is it elusive! I have to catch a nap when I can. The backache isn't bad except when I'm up more than a few minutes. And it's always in the same place, so I know it's coming from my strange gait. I'm going to rub down with Tiger Balm before bed tonight. That should help.
 
@jmdearras Thanks for the chart. Too bad the agent on the phone didn't look at it before they gave me the info!

Paula each company has their own rules about disability. In my company I can get short term disability up to 6 months if medically needed and supported by evidence submitted by doctor. After that we have long term disability but I only get that if I paid the premiums for it which I didn't.
 
Sorry that while you're going through all this your company feels they need to add more to your stress. Hopefully you can speak to someone who can fix things so you have no worries. Feel better.
 
All this is why I am avoiding disability (more than 3 sick days) by using the sick days, then vacation days, then work from home. Keeps me in control, and I am a bit of a control freak on personal matters.
 
Sorry you have to deal with the job problem while you are recuperating...I guess we all have our own worries... My job expects me back after 3 weeks...I will cross or wobble that bridge when I get to it!
 
Wow @uva55 three weeks seems very unrealistic. I'd prepare them for that. What kind if work do you do?

Do you have your own pre op thread here?
 
I did it in two weeks, actually 1 week, surgery and start recovery 1 week, worked at home 1 week, then drive to work after that. But they are quick to tell you here I am an extreme exception.
 
@uva55 don't set up unrealistic expectations for yourself. Your knee will need all the time it needs. From what I've read, the normal return to work is after 12 weeks. If you push yourself too hard, you'll just fall behind. Keeping your knee inflamed will just slow everything way down. It needs rest, ice and elevation.
 
in my defense, my OS told me before surgery I could drive in two weeks, baring unexpected complications. He's GOOD :)
 
My OS is confident I will do fine, and I will not do anything to slow down my recovery... Like I said I will deal with my job when the time comes, I've been there 23 years so that should count for something....I will leave it in God's hands, it will work out,worrying is not going to solve anything, I don't need added anxiety and stress!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom