Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@dianehelen I have had no kneecaps since the 90s. When they removed the kneecaps they had to shorten my patella tendons or I never would have been able to straighten my legs. I searched for OS who had done replacements on knees without kneecaps. It took me a few months to find one I felt comfortable with. I'm concerned about my extension because of the shortened tendon. It was fine before the replacement. I ordered a goniometer from Amazon, (is there anywhere else?), so I can check my ROM periodically.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is why this site is so beneficial! I love to read, so it's a double blessing for me! Another thing I'm fighting is an extremely dry mouth. I know it's the meds, but dry mouth makes it hard to eat. I bought some Oasis moisturizing mouth spray from that same place because I had read on here that it's a problem many are having. It seems like I can't get enough to drink, and then I have to pee, which adds to the number of my steps. Catch 22!
 
Thanks. I think Walmart sells.
 
Amazon too, Prime, you can have it same day, if you are in a same day delivery area (I am )
 
The pt I had yesterday wants me to walk two trips around the house every hour. Everyone tells me something different so I just do what I feel like and hope for the best. Congratulations on your good sleep. Do you sleep with ice?
 
I do sleep with ice packs, but have to change them every couple of hours. My ice machine is at my recliner and I use it all day. I keep it on hours at a time except when I have to take it off to do something. If you are going to do all that walking you won't need to do pt. Don't overdo it. Remember what I said in my threat yesterday! Walking is the only therapy I'm doing and I still over did it!
 
I know hips are not to cross ankles, but not sure about knees. Sometimes it's necessary early on to set an alarm to take pain meds. It's better than waking up with massive pain.
 
Ha, boy I remember from my hip nightmare, I NEVER had to set an alarm for pain meds, I was more worried about waiting to take them not too early, but did jump the gun many times, only having at times 3 hours between 325/10 two percocets.I have a pretty strong tolerance for drugs, but low tolerance for pain.
 
@Jaycey, or @Celle Would someone please change my thread title to Who Needs a Kneecap Anyway?!
 
but with the arthritis pain gone, I should be able to sleep without having to move so often!
Is not that. Obviously you haven't read your recovery articles! Go back and look - there's one about sleep deprivation.
@Josephine is it OK for me to cross my legs at the ankles? I keep finding myself doing that and not thinking about it. I think I remember reading somewhere to not do that.
If you can, by all means but personally I found it a very uncomfortable position and it hurt my knee. So in that respect, I'd probably recommend not. But it's hips that cannot cross their legs in case of dislocation.
I bought some Oasis moisturizing mouth spray from that same place because I had read on here that it's a problem many are having. It seems like I can't get enough to drink, and then I have to pee, which adds to the number of my steps
That stuff is so YUK! Like having a French kiss from a dog! Personally I find sugar free chewing gum much preferable. I often get an horrendously dry mouth whilst driving to work for which reason I keep a pot of gum in my car. It's been a lifesaver on many occasions.
 
@sistersinhim I use sugar-free hard candies to keep the bad taste out of my mouth and keep it moist after surgery and when I'm taking pain meds. I like the Werthers brand. I also recently bought a goniometer and from Amazon, lol. I never bothered after my TKR for some reason, but I wanted to know what my ROM was before this surgery and after. It had worsened from shortly after the TKR and I am hoping to see it get better as the swelling goes down. It was something like 3/108 the other day, so it's heading in the right direction, as the PT had it at, I forget exactly, but I think it was 10/90 or something close to that. The OS was thrilled with the number at my 2 week check-up (I knew the exact number then but can't remember for sure right now-lol) I'm not a stickler about ROM, but it is a good measurement of progress as long as we don't get fixated on numbers.
 
Obviously you haven't read your recovery articles! Go back and look - there's one about sleep deprivation.
Oh yes, I read every single one of them and more once! I've haven't been a good sleeper for years! So, this is nothing new. What is new is that I'm able to take naps now. Before, I couldn't. This is wonderful! Some of what wakes me up at night is when my ice pacts warm up every couple of hours and I get up and change them. I just ordered an Active Ice Therapy machine so I can ice all night long without having to get up and change out my ice packs. @lovetocookandsew Thank you for the hint about the sugar free candies. Unfortunately, sugar free gum sticks to my dentures, so that option is out. Someone also suggested Biotin.
My goniometer came today and when I looked up the instructions for measuring, I realized my in home pt measured my extension wrong. My calf is really swollen and she had me sit in my recliner with the foot rest up to measure me. My calf and the stuffing on the recliner wouldn't let my knee come down. When I measured standing up today it's 10 not 15. And my flex is 92. I'm very happy with those numbers! It's just strange how pt wanted my reading to be lower than it actually is. I bet you it's so the next time a different one measures me the correct way it will look like a good increase. Slick!
 
Last night was a better night! I'm still waking up a lot to change the ice packs, but the pain is less. Taking 10mg of the Oxy is a big help. I'm considering taking 10mg during the day, too. After reading the articles about addiction, I think I'll be OK if I take them only for pain. I don't notice any high feeling, only pain relief, so I don't know what the big deal is about them being a recreation drug.

This morning I actually sat on the edge of my bed and had both legs swinging some. I know my flex has improved just by being able to do that! I still can't stand up and or walking for long. The tiredness and pain hit me hard. My roommate is home today, so maybe I won't have to walk as much as I do when she's not here. My quad is getting stronger but I still can't pick up my leg and put it on the bed by itself. But, I can lift it some. That's an improvement right there! It is a really slow progress but each baby step is an encouragement! I can see the difference between last week this time and today! Thank you, God! Good luck to all my TKR family members!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom