Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@KarriB, that's what we have where we were in the Fellowship Hall, tile over cement. All of us workers are Seniors, too, and we all got pooped and were hurting. One of these days we will be too old to do it anymore!
Are you girls getting any snow up there this weekend? Praise God I have a propane stove in the den in case we loose power with the forecasted ice. Ice storms treat us really badly here because all our power lines are on poles instead of being buried.
I have finally found time to sit down, elevate and ice the knee. The back is feeling some better since being off of my feet. And so are my feet!
 
Ice storms are worse than snow storms imho. But 10 inches here this weekend will be no picnic.:snow plough:
 
I want to wish all my Bonesmart friends a very Merry Christmas!! I joined the ODIC last night because of work I did last week and yesterday. I had siblings and their families over for Christmas Eve celebration yesterday. I hadn't done much heavy cleaning since my tkr so I went crazy this past week trying to play catch up. On top of that I had to cut wood three days. Well, last night, while trying to sleep, both knees let me know they were very unhappy with me. Today my new one is still complaining, but not as bad as when I was trying to sleep. This afternoon will be an ice and sleeping time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who joined the club this season! Wishing everyone a less pain day week!
 
Hope you were able to rest and recoup yesterday, Paula. Today is my day of rest after a crazy few days! My left knee wasn't happy at all.
 
Hi @KarriB, I took about a 2 hour nap yesterday and iced most of the day. I slept like a log last night and the knees are about 50% better today! The recuperation times are getting shorter! Before long, I won't even have to have them! Are you expecting to have to have your left knee replaced, too? With all you've been through, I'd understand if you're hesitant! I'd say overall my recovery has been good, with only a few setbacks because of ODIC visits. They're my fault, not my knee's. I'm going to try shots before I commit to replacing mine.
 
My left knee was bad before my right, but the right just gave out totally, thus the TKR. I'm waiting as long as I can, but I'm putting off trips because of my left knee. My niece wants me to go to Disney next winter, but I don't think my left knee could handle it. I'm just leery because of the infection and the fact that the TKR was my first surgery. It's not for the weak of heart, but I'm trying to build up my courage.
 
@julesm86, hi there. I'm still tired, but better! This busy season has gotten to a whole lot of us. Now, we can all relax and recoup. @KarriB, too bad you can't imagine going to Disney with your niece. Maybe you could use a cane and go. It'd be awful to miss such a trip and wonderful time with her.
 
I'm glad that you had a good Christmas and your recovery times from a visit to the ODIC is getting shorter every time.
@KarriB I'll go for number three and you can go for number two together with me!:console2:
 
I have another 'I did it!' I came down a ladder with the new knee second instead of first! I haven't been able to do that in probably 25 years! The new knee is getting stronger. I do have some new pain in my quad area that started a week or so ago. I haven't had this before. The pre-Christmas preparations almost did me in. The old knee was awful yesterday, but is much better today. I didn't do anything differently except resting more. That can't be bad for me! These knees just do what they want to do.
 
Congratulations on negotiating the ladder safely with your new knee bending so well. :yes!: :yay: :)
 
@KarriB, if I can do it, you can do it! Just hold on to the sides of the ladder really tightly. You'd surprise yourself. I did! @Celle, thank you for the encouragement! I did a hand's clap, too!
 
I have another success story. I made it back to the Y and worked out in the fitness center for the first time since the surgery and then swam. The best thing is I was able to use the leg extension machine with a low weight on it. I have never been able to use it because of the extreme arthritis pain, not even with no weight! I did it yesterday with 25 pounds on it, and it didn't hurt at all. I couldn't believe it! How wonderful to finally be able to work on those quads! I also exercised in the pool and then swam 4 laps. Not much, because I was afraid of overdoing it. I did start having pains yesterday after relaxing at home, so I broke out my ole Polar Cube and used it most of the afternoon and part of the night. My knees are sore today, but not bad! I can now do it! Yippee! I do have a concern about my swelling though. It hasn't gone down all the way yet. The knee is still about 1" larger than the other knee. It was this swollen at least a year before the surgery and is down to that size now. I was hoping for it to be completely gone by now. But, the discomfort is almost completely gone! Just muscular pain when I do new things. I'm so glad I had the tkr!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you were able to swim and work on your quads, Paula. When I started swimming at 8 months I took it slow also, I could only do 4-5 laps then worked my way up. Just do 4-5 for a week or two and add a few laps every week (if you're wanting to add laps).
 
@sistersinhim My mom's TKR was June 29 and her knee is still larger. Probably has something to do with that year recovery that we've heard about. Yea on the exercise and swim. I love swimming. It is such a good and gentle exercise.
 
@KarriB, oh yes, I definitely want to add laps to my swimming. I bought a waterproof ipod and earphones that I used to use and would get lost in the music while swimming. I won't be using this again until I heal more. I have to pace myself! That lower stem bone is still very touchy and it doesn't take much to make it ache. This whole recovery is common sense. If you overdo, you're going to swell and hurt. If you don't, then you make forward strides! I learned this lesson early on! @jaschembra, thank you for the comment about your mom still being swollen. You make a good point about it taking a year. It is so true that it just takes time and patience.
 
My energy drain had so depleted my stamina that it took a full month to work up to 15 laps. It felt weird to kick with one natural leg and one TKR. They both made sounds when I kicked, but the natural leg hurt when I kicked and the TKR didn't. Be careful with a whip kick, my OS said no whip kicks for a while.
 
@KarriB, I haven't been able to do those kicks anyway even before the surgery. They hurt too much. I worked up to 8 laps before the surgery. That's all the right knee would take. Now, lefty will probably be holding me back some. All in time!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom