TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Two big jobs around the house & you're doing good:yes!: I'm so happy for you, & yes, I look forward to being there also!:roseshwr:
Bummer about the leaves...hopefully soon they'll all be down. Enjoy your day!:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you, Julie. It will be relaxing to rest for a change! Enjoy your day also.
 
That's great that you were able to accomplished so much and your knee hasn't given you too much pain afterwards. Let it have a day off.
 
My Brat is 6 months old today! It took at least 4 months before I could say I was glad I had this done, and then it wasn't all the time. Now, I am very glad I had it replaced. It is such a blessing to not have that arthritis pain anymore. I can go up and down the steps without the terrible inside the joint pain. I am able to forget about this knee about half the time now. I still have to be careful carrying heavy things, My Brat rebels and so does Lefty. I still ice as needed, which is probably about 4 to 5 times a week. I no longer have to ice or elevate at night. My sleeping has gotten so much better. It was awful for a few months, especially before I could sleep on my sides.

I do have a problem with my new knee wanting to give out for a few inches, then it catches itself. Being without kneecaps, I've always had this problem. Once she's healed all the way, I plan on trying to get those quads stronger to stop this giving away. Even with the really short patella tendons I hope to be able to get both of them stronger than they have been since the early 90s. The other problem I am having is pain when I am laying on my left side with leg bent and then picking my leg up in this bent position. If I straighten it and lift it, it is painfree. As time goes on, it's getting less painful to lift it bended, so that's improving! That outer right side has been numb since the surgery but is starting to wake up some. Maybe that's why I'm feeling this pain now. Also, zingers in that area have started. My OS said that nerves reattaching. It's a year long recovery for sure, but the difference I am now compared to just 3 months ago is amazing! You who are coming behind me, your time is coming, too, when you can forget about your knee. I have never regretted not doing PT. I achieved all I needed to without it. Just using my knee in my daily living. Your body knows how to repair and rehab itself. I am proof of that!
 
That's a great 6 month report. You have made it through the tough times and are now enjoying what life will be from here on out. I'm very happy for you!
 
Thank you, Marian. I wish Lefty was done, too, then I could really know it's all over with, with just the best to come.
 
Great report and encouraging for those of us behind you. I am not a patient person either and have not always made the best decisions in my recovery, i.e. pushing it too much. Thanks for sharing. Working on patience and positive thoughts. :SUNsmile:
 
@birdinger, I'm glad I can encourage you. It is such a slow process to go through, but once things are looking up and you're feeling better, you look back and realize, hey, it really wasn't that long! God has taught me patience through this and is continuing to do so! I still get some bad times, but nothing like they used to be! Before long you'll be holding your fist up in the air and shouting, "Success!".
 
@sistersinhim
I'v also experienced some problems with my new knee slightly giving out and catching at times (a little scary) I'm told it's a weakness in the quad muscle like you mentioned, so I'm working on that. I can go up the stairs one foot at a time (slowly) but going down is another matter:heehee:
PT told me stairs are usually the last thing for total knees to accomplish.
Oh! and those middle of the night zinger pains.... are sooooo annoying :thud:
 
Oh yes, those wonderful zingers to remind you that you've had a tkr! As if we didn't know already! Believe it or not, I find going down easier than going up my quads are so weak!
 
Well I have read your recovery thread. And all I got to say is very impressive. Wherefore seeing we also are compasses with so great cloud of witnesses ,let us lay aside every weight and sin which doth so easily beset us and let us run with patience the race that is set before us. I like the name sisters in him . Your whole recovery thread and all who contributed in it have given me encouragement to continue with patience. What amazed me was the amount of work you were doing in your time of healing. Yes their were set backs but you laugh it off and your friends never stopped cheering you on. There was a tkr family bond within all of you. Now you all can sit back and laugh at it and continue to get better. Job well done. Oh yes I love psalms 91. God bless. Ss and Church is my strenght.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@rightsidelimper, thank you so much for such an uplifting post! I was feeling down this morning because I am having pain because of carrying wood to fire up the outdoor wood-burning stove. I might not be able to do this, this season because the knee is not ready, and this had me down. Not now, because of you post! God has always taken care of me and I trust He will continue to do so. I have electric central heat and a propane stove in the den, so I won't freeze this winter. And God has blessed me with the ability to pay my bills, including a higher electric and propane bill! HE has given me a new knee that I just have to be patient with so it can completely heal.
 
I did something tonight that I haven't been able to do for at least 2 years. I took a bath! I got into and out of my tub. It felt so good! Being able to soak in a tub of hot water after a day of physical work feels so good! Getting out was a little rough, but I did it!! My new knee let me finally take a bath! Thank you, God, for my new knee!
 
I don't have a tub anymore or I'd want to give it a try, especially when I'm not feeling well.
 
@KarriB, what a shame you don't have a tub. Sometimes that's all I would want to sooth these aching muscles. Now, I'm blessed to be able to do it again! @julesm86, now that I know I can do it, I plan on doing it lots more! What's funny is as soon as I got out of the tub and dressed, I started icing! From one extreme to another!. Just in case I have some angry tissues after working outside I want to make them happy again.
 
@sistersinhim do you still have a tightness in your knee. I am only at 4 weeks , but most of my pain is gone. But then again I only lay around all day and do nothing. That tightness on the right side of my knee give me fits. Then sometime it's on the inside.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom