Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@KarriB I love to swim. Is a whip kick the kind when you're doing the butterfly stroke?
And @sistersinhim i gave up doing the breast stroke when my knees got bad because I felt I would blow them out when I would do it.
After a year or two healing do you ladies think those kicks will be doable? I'm satisfied with the freestyle normal kick and backstroke anyway but wondered. Christmas birthday I got the new Apple Watch that is waterproof and it counts swimming laps. The few times I used it in the pool, up till surgery, I reallyliked it.
 
Yes, the whip kick is from butterfly, but I'd be careful with scissors kick (breast stroke) at first too. I had no issues flutter kicking (freestyle) but I didn't swim until June and my TKR was in November (oct 29). If you're in the water at month 3-4 I'd just begin with some water walking because it's very easy to over do in the water. You just don't feel it in the same way due to the buoyancy.
 
All I do is the flutter kicks no matter what style I'm doing. I still have to not overdo with either knee at this point.
 
@julesm86, it is wonderful. You'll be there before you know it. But, it is so easy to overdo. How are you doing?
 
I'm doing better~thanks! Foot's about completely healed~yay! I've decided to stay in my current job & just take it easy between patients & elevating and icing thru lunch. I'm happy with my decision. Still working in strengthening my weak quads & finding a PT place to do some water therapy & also find a place to do some swimming. Hope you have a great week! :loveshwr:
 
@julesm86 i think that's a great decision. In the midst of TKR it seems life as we knew it will never return, but it goes and when it foes you want to be doing a job you love and fulfills you.
 
The same day I started swimming, I started working on the leg machines, too. Do you have access to the Y?
 
Good luck. I love going, when I can get there! It seems like there's always something else I have to do.
 
I just have to spread my wonderful news! I've been back to the Y for 3 weeks now. I started off with 10lbs on the leg extension with both legs. Today I did 75! I tried my new knee by itself and was barely able to do 10lbs, but considering I couldn't even lift my leg straight out before the surgery without extreme pain, I'm tickled to death with the 10lbs! Some days are better than others, but many, many more good days are happening now. My next goal is to be able to ride my bike outside for 5 miles. I've made 3 so far. We are having so much wind that I've been unable to ride lately, just walk. But, walking is better than nothing. I'm averaging 7500 steps a day. All is good! Now, to ice after this big Y workout today!
 
I'm really pleased you're doing so well. :yes!: :happydance:
Be careful with the weights. Only increase the amount very slowly.
 
Great post, Paula! I'm so happy you're seeing such progress!
 
so happy you are swimming - i am so looking forward to doing it myself. maybe some mild water aerobics too.
 
@julesm86, how are you doing? How's your foot and are you having any knee relief? I've walked almost 12,000 steps today and am having to ice both knees. But, I'm so please with my new knee! But, it's still really weak. For the last 20 years or so I haven't been able to work on the quads. Now, I can! I want to get rid of that cane of mine. It's been my companion for many, many years.
 
@sistersinhim Hi!:roseshwr: My foot's back to normal~thankfully! The knee's been feeling strange lately??? The top of the tibia aches/hurts, I feel like my knees' shifted (which I don't think could happen)~just feels strange??? Not sure what to think of it...I did post on my page to see if anyone has had anything similar happen. I've been taking it easy at work between patients, but still pooped by the end of the day. We're in our 8th month of this recovery journey ~ so happy to share it with you!
12,000 steps!~awesome! The weakness seems to be a struggle! My quads are still weak
 
Questions ladies. Monday night while sleeping, one of my cats jumped up on the bed and landed right on the lower inside of my knee. It hurt really bad and when I was able to go back to sleep, I dreamed about it hurting, so obviously it still was. Yesterday the whole knee and shin bone hurt to put weight on, but got better as the day went on. But, I had swelling right much on the area where Lucky landed on me and it is still very sensitive to touch. The knee does not hurt to walk on today, but is still swollen in that area. Is this something to worry about?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom