Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I wouldn't think so, Paula. The cat probably landed on soft tissue that is still tender. If you have no pain while walking that's a good sign. While your sitting put some ice on that tender area and see if that helps.
 
I have been icing and it helps, but the swelling is still there. I'll see how it does for a couple more days. Eventually, I'll have to get a shot in the old knee and I'll do that then if my new one doesn't settle down and I see my OS for it. That way I'll kill two birds with...! His office is over an hour away.
 
@Josephine, I have pain and tenderness at the ERF2 area. This hasn't gone away for months now. I have started swimming and working out at the Y with low weights. It doesn't seem to affect this area much one way or the other. There is also pain at the DRF1 where there's a knot. I believe it's where the stem of the implant goes into my bone. The more walking I do, the more this area hurts. Are these normal aches and pains? Oh, and I do still have some swelling. Icing does help with the pain and swelling for a while.
 
So like this?

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience


I'd say the blue spot is very likely to be and ITB (ilio-tibial band) issue.
and the red spot to be Pes Anserine and MPFL pain

I've had ITB and my chiropractor was very good at getting rid of it.
 
Thank you @Josephine. The Pes Anserine inflammation is actually what I'm experiencing. I will read up on what else I can do besides icing and anti-inflammatories, which I'm already doing. I don't have the ITB issue since it's on the inside of my knee and not outside. The red spot should be right at the top of the shin bone and under the knee. I will get pains in this bone after a lot of walking.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the ITB issue since it's on the inside of my knee and not outside.
But you indicated it as being in DRF1 (the blue spot) which is the site of the lower end of the iliotibial band adjacent to the top of the fibula

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Hi Paula, just popping in to say hello. I'm sorry you've got these various knee pains, knees seem to be so complicated, and easily irritated and it's hard to find a balance between too much activity and not enough. I hope you get some lasting relief soon.
 
Hey @Tabbycat. It seems normal to have bad days and good days. Yesterday was a great day, hardly even knew my knee was there. But, evidently I slept on it wrong and woke up with it hurting. Tylenol took care of that! How are you feeling. Has your knee stopped hurting yet?
 
I'm glad you are having good days, make the most of them. I've got quite bad pain in both knees, but I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which I think I might have had for quite some time (way before my TKR), and many of my joints hurt. I believed I was in a rheumatoid flare, but my inflammation markers are normal, which is typical of Fibro. So, a new learning curve, finding out how to best cope with this. Today has been beautiful, and it's lifted my mood which helps a lot.
 
You have lots of people on here that will pray for you. I pray that this diagnoses is wrong and that God will take your pain away. Does being active help it or aggravate it? Beautiful weather can be such a mood lifter. Today is in the low 70s here, with snow in the forecast for Sunday. Crazy Virginia weather! I'm still really bummed out about putting my cat down this morning and I'm hoping when Marilyn gets home, we can walk a little. That always helps me to feel better emotionally. And it seems like when my mood is better, but body is, too!
 
My knee will be 10 months old tomorrow. I'm doing really well and am slowly building up my strength. Without kneecaps, my patella tendon is shorter than normal and is taking me a while to get the quads stronger. But, it is stronger than than before my replacement! The best thing is that I can now exercise my knee without that awful pain! I do have a question, though. Is it OK to go bowling yet? I haven't been able to for probably 30 years and would love to try to now. But, bowling is like a lunge and I don't want to try it too soon. Any of you out there bowling yet?
 
I haven't bowled in years but what I do notice is fear getting in my way of my confidence.
I can go up and down stairs normally but find myself hesitating out of fear of tripping
I can kneel. Why do I think about it?
I do pool lunges and for exercise some in the kitchen hanging on to the counter
I can't say they will work for you but why not try? I am sure they will be mini lunges anyway. Or like my grandkids roll the ball underhand
 
Great idea, @little red canoe! I did try the lunge this evening and my new knee did great. It was the old knee that screamed. Bummer. I still might try bowling and just not bend so low. I know I can't kneel. Without kneecaps that's a big no no and I was told that right after they were removed. But, being able finally go up and down the steps normally has me jumping for joy, (well, not literally!). My next, new-knee goal is to go kayaking. We're planning a trip in May! I missed all most all of last summer and I'm ready to play!
 
Oh you will do fine kayaking. In Florida we went out several times. Then we came home and back to snow. I've been snowshoeing and this week will try skiing again
 
You don't have any problem getting out of the kayak? Before my surgery I had to get out from the side of the boat into about thigh high water. I'm hoping I won't have to do that now. Of course, that old knee of mine might fuss!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The whole office is being taken out for bowling and dinner. I've been wondering the same thing as to whether I can bowl. Since I had my left knee done and I'm right handed I was wondering if I would be able to or if my old knee would hold me back. Of course it will all be moot if the date is after the 17th.
 
If you go bowling, let me know how you do. The old knee has been doing so much better since My Brat has taken over much of my work, and I don't want to mess it up. Of course, I can always just stop if it hurts!
 
Hi Paula! For bowling I would try the approach at home without the ball. I think it would work with socks on your kitchen floor...that way you can grab a counter if you need to. I haven't bowled in years and would love to give it a try.
 
@PegGar16, Thank you, Peg. I will try it that way. How are you doing and feeling?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom