Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I wish I could rest today, but Marilyn is off for the weekend and has come over to clean up our cars. I can't just sit around while she's working, so I'll be shoveling and digging and separating irises and day lilies. I will sneak in and take a break when I can get away. I took a Tramadol and it has helped some. I really was hoping my old knee would last longer, but all the stress it's been under has really flared it up. @Tabbycat, how are you feeling? A good night's sleep is a gift and I'm so glad God gave it to you. I pray He continues to and brings you quick healing. Oh, and I pray that He heals your RA! After all, He is the Great Healer!
 
Thanks Paula, I'm sorry you can't rest up more today, but short breaks are better than nothing. I've got the same problem as you with the other knee, I hope it will last a while longer, I can't envisage doing this again in the foreseeable future for several reasons. I've been resisting asking for x rays on it, I don't want to know how bad it is!
God bless,
Tabby xxx
 
I think we know how bad it is by the way it feels! At least we have our BS friends to help us get through all this!
 
Paula, you sound discouraged and I want to ask you to give that knee more time to heal and be courageous enough to put yourself first a little longer. It may not be as bad as you think. But, if it is, you have friends here, like me, that will help you through another one. I'm saying a little prayer for you . . .
 
Thank you so much! Prayer works! And yes, I'm down, but better days are coming. God always takes care of His children. That is one thing that I can ALWAYS TRUST in! If He leads me to get relief through a cortisone shot, fine. Through a replacement, that's OK, too. My OS is a Christian and not afraid to admit it! God lead me to him, and so I trust he will make the correct decision when the time comes to see him again.
 
Paula, I'm glad to hear you are thinking about your activities and realize what may or may not be overdoing it at this early stage in recovery. I am in awe of the fact that you heat with giant logs that you have to haul around! Wow!

It's pretty common that your unoperated knee complains as you begin doing more activity. That pain should lessen as your operated knee continues to heal and becomes stronger. However....(there's always a "but" isn't there!) it is also important not to overdo it with your unoperated knee too. Inflammation in any joint can hasten arthritis. So try and keep your pain levels as low as possible. It may be that you need to take some pain medication as you increase your activity levels. But the important thing is not to do strenuous things unless they really, really must be done. It's still early stages!
 
@Jamie, yes, that old knee is still fussing at me today. I'm actually using the new knee to go up and down the steps now! I do have a few Oxy and Tramadol left, but try and make on Tylenol only, if I can. What is so strange is I was OK at church, but when I sat in my recliner with my legs up it started paining. I've have to learn this one just like I have the new one.

As far as the outdoor wood furnace goes, I probably won't be able to handle the lifting this year. I might try one more time, if I can get lefty to calm down. If not, it's off to the OS for a shot. @TML, how are your two knees doing today? Is the pillow stacking still working for you?
 
Yes, this new method is so comfortable and does not irritate hip or lower back. As @sheliac has said, you can adjust the pillow under your thigh to accommodate your individual need. Have you tried it?
 
I'm sorry to hear that your old knee is causing you problems now. maybe a shot will calm it down for long enough for your new knee to pick up the slack. Are there any young men in your church that could move those logs for you so that you would have a supply ready for the cold weather?
 
No, I haven't had to use my pillows for a month or so. When I have my other knee done, I try it, unless I need it before then. Then I'll try it a lot sooner than that!
@newlybionic, every morning and every evening I'd have to load the furnace with the logs. Marilyn can help me stack the wood for burning, but I'd be the one to actually load the heater. No one will be here but me. It's really no big deal if I can't do it this year. I have a propane vent-less heater in my den, where I stay most of the time, and central forced air heat. Believe it or not, the wood heat feels so much warmer even though the temperature of the room is the same. With me icing the knees I'll need it warmer than I usually do! Carrying those cases of iced coffee really opened my eyes on what I can and can't do right now. The old knee behaved really well until I did that. And it was only about 6 feet. I'd be carrying the wood about 8 to 10 feet. I will not harm my knees anymore than they already are, if I can help it. I'll be so glad when I get back to normal!
 
Hi Paula,
Sorry to hear about your old knee giving you fits, mine did the same thing before I caved and had my second knee replaced. I remember the Dr. telling me that when we rest at the end of the day, that's when the muscle screams at us that we have done to much:yikes:
Have you tried to put a pillow under your old knee? also I used a Salonpas (pain relieving gel patch) at night and that seemed to help.
 
Hello @Majella, thank you for the suggestions. It has settled down now that my lifting and carrying is over with for a while. I have the Tiger Balm patches that work well, too, but unfortunately, they won't stay on at night because I move so much and the sheet catches the edge of them and pulls it off. I iced it last week, which lowered the swelling. Going down the steps is still more painful with the old knee, so I'm now using the new one almost all the time going up and down the steps! I love being able to strengthen these quads that I haven't been able to in years because of the pain in the right knee. My old knee was always the 'leader'. Now, it's the opposite. I might even be able to get to the bended knee lifts at the Y soon. I have never been able to do those! When the old knee was angry I had to keep it straight, so the pillow under it wouldn't have worked. I am so glad it has calmed down again. We'll see what she does when I try and move some firewood. That's the real test!

I was finally able to ride my outside bike about 1 1/2 miles Sunday evening! It's so different that the recumbent bike in the house. That is a constant tension. Not so on a real bike! Of course, the new knee was really sore Monday morning, but nothing I couldn't handle. Just iced both of them and today is better. I even spot shampooed my carpet. Tomorrow might be another sore day, but that's what ice is for! Tonight I'll take a Tylenol PM and if not enough I'll add a Tramadol later on. But, right now, it's no worse than normal! I love getting back to doing things. And the thought of having to go through another replacement is such a downer. If I can baby it enough, maybe it won't have to be replaced. Only time will tell.
 
Congratulations! I know you were looking forward to riding your bike! I'm so afraid of falling off it ma never happen!
 
Give it a try, @KarriB. You can start out just a quarter a mile or so and build up. It's so refreshing! I have a low entry bike, so I don't have to lift my leg too high to get on or off. I'm ready to jump on mine again just talking about it! I rested the knee yesterday, so today I'm less sore and ready to go!!
 
Have fun! Maybe at some point I'll give it a try. But I'm so happy you're able to ride! Biking in the cool crisp fall weather was always my favorite time.
 
Congratulations! I know you were looking forward to riding your bike! I'm so afraid of falling off it ma never happen!
@KarriB i was also afraid of falling off my street bike, but I did fine, the only trouble I had was getting on and off the bike, trying to swing my leg over was a little tricky, also make sure the seat level is okay before you take off. :biking:
 
I'm 5 months out and am doing well. I'll not be posting anymore updates, because there seem to be none! To all of you who've had and will have a TKR, listen to the suggestions you get here and read the articles. If you follow the BS way, you will have a much easier recovery. Less exercise is truly more recovery! So long all of you, for now. When I have the left knee replaced, I might be back!
 
Keep riding that bike until the snow falls! So glad you're feeling well enough that there's nothing report! :flwrysmile:
 
@KarriB, thank you for your good wishes. You have always been so kind and caring and I consider you a true friend. I pray that you continue to do well!
 
Thank you sistersinhim, maybe we'll get th left done at the same time.
 
Back
Top Bottom