Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Before I call my eye doctor, I wanted to ask you all who have had cataract surgery a question. Last night while riding to church all lights caused my new lense to have extreme sunbeams streaming out from the light source. I have noticed it before here in the house, but I didn't realize how bad it is until last night. Is this something any of you experienced? Is it just part of the healing process? Or should I call my doctor? Thank you in advance. Also, it is supposed to be a far vision lense, but looking at the computer is clearer than looking a something in the distance. Normal at just 3 days since the surgery?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bet that your eye is still somewhat swollen - just like the knee you can't always tell. I would think you could wait until you see the doctor. I would guess you have an appointment fairly soon. By all means tell him if it hasn't cleared up. BTW I still have some of that star burst effect around lights at night but it doesn't bother me since I can see so much better than before surgery. I've had both lenses replaced.
 
Sister, I would call doc right away. This may be normal but can also be a symptom of a detached retina -- highly unlikely but your doc needs to know.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'm taking about the light streams. I think the vision part is to be expected.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Whoops! FG and I were cross posting! I'd go with her advice as she has had the surgery ! As you know, I am a huge over-reactor :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Hey, I'm no doctor or nurse! Do what makes you feel most comfortable. If you are going to worry it is best to give the doctor a call. Better over cautious than under.
 
I called a couple of hours ago and left a message at the eye center. Good news! They just called back and said at this stage it's nothing unusual, that as the swelling goes down it should get much better. The eye itself feels much better today. But, my far vision hasn't come in yet. Getting old is the pits! I have another appointment at the eye clinic on the 10th. If it isn't better by then, then I'll worry.
 
He is so right. It is the side effects! I don't know about it being better than the alternative. We have heaven in our future! Of course, as long as I'm down here I might as well enjoy it, too!
 
The first evening I had those light streams all over the room...I went to my chorus rehearsal and had to keep sunglasses on to minimize them, as they were straaaaange! They settled after a few days. Expect your vision to take time to adjust. That lens still has to work with your other eye so the brain is having to make adaptations. As in knees, our favorite topic, it's not perfect right away. Time.......
 
Oh, finally someone else has had them! Thank you for letting me know that they will go away eventually. This was a brand new experience for me and my doctor never told me what to expect. It is really scary having your eyes messed with!
I haven't had to ice my knee is two days! Of course, I'm not doing too much because of the eye situation, but I hope to tomorrow. I have a week's worth of yard work to do!
 
Oh, Sister, please be careful. Take some time to rest and ice. You've been thru a lot this week. Yard work will be there when you've had time to pamper yourself. I'm so glad your eye is OK. Let's keep that knee comfy, too. Hug to you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Thank you, Sheila. And hugs right back to you! You take care of your two baby knees and don't overdo! We still want to see you in your new outfit! I bet you'll look stunning! Unfortunately, the longer I wait on the yardwork, the worst it gets. I might just go swimming instead!
 
Paula, just be mindful of putting pressure on your eye, like bending down while you're gardening. Give yourself a couple more days.....
 
Hi Paula, my father had cataract surgery in both eyes last winter and it's made an incredible difference for him! My recollection is that it took a few days for the vision to settle. Hope it's as successful for you!
 
Well, I did something stupid yesterday and am paying for it now. I had ordered 2 cases of iced coffee and picked it up yesterday. Each case had 6 4packs of bottles. I loaded them in my trunk and then, at home, backed up close to my deck. I carried each of them only about about 6 feet. It was enough to anger both of my knees. This is disturbing. I run an outdoor wood-burning stove for heat in the winter to save on the electric bill. If I can't handle a case of coffee how in the world will my knees handle carrying firewood. I went back on my diclofenac a couple of months ago, so the knees would be even worse than they are now if I hadn't been taken those. My OS says I can have a cortisone shot in the left knee. But, I have had so many of those through the years that I'm afraid I won't have a brain left if I keep on getting them. My left shoulder has signs of torn tendons, so that's in my future, too. Bummer. The side effects of getting old are so depressing! I've all these things I want to do, but my joints say no. I'm am blessed with really good health, just bad joints.
 
So sorry to hear this! Remember that right knee is still healing. Hopefully it will be better when it is firewood time. Maybe you'll have to bring in smaller bundles. I agree with the aging thing. If its not one thing its another that acts up. At least we can get out of bed in the morning and enjoy our friends and family.
 
Don't be do hard on yourself, your tkr knee is still healing, not even 5 months yet,remember baby steps, I know that you are very active and "grab the bull by the horns" type of person but your knee does not care about that, it will take a long as it needs to heel completely, even though we feel much better now we still have to slow down and have patience.

Lsst weekend I pushed myself too hard and ended up having to ice at work and before bedtime for 3 days and I'm ok with that, I know it will take time.

This winter you may need help with the wood and thats OK, just don't do anything to hurt yourself. You have worked very hard on you recovery to sabotage yourself now!!!
 
Thank you for your encouragement ladies. The firewood I use can weigh as much as 30 to 40 lbs each. If I use small pieces they burn up in no time. Once I get a good bed of coals going, I load the furnace in the morning and then at night. That usually is all it needs unless it's extremely cold. Our nights are already getting into the 30s at times, so I could have used the heater. I will try moving some of the logs around and see how the knees do. Actually, my old knee is reacting worse than the new one. But, it's also fussing. If I have to skip the outdoor heater this year, I will. I'll just tighten up the money in other ways. God will provide!
 
Paula, I'm so sorry this happened. Lifting and carrying is harder on the knees than we realise. You've been amazing in what you've accomplished activity wise so far, but as they keep telling us healing does take up to a year. Rest today and hopefully your knees will feel better.
Tabby xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom