Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

It sounds like you had a great time. In some ways we are experiencing the same thing. We are both so eager to get out and do that we both over-do and don't regret it even though we have some pain as a result. I believe it when the experts say that healing takes at least six months and maybe a year. We are still both healing and we both know what to do when we over do. It is wonderful to be out doing active things. Congratulations. I look forward to hearing of your future adventures.
 
Thank you for your encouraging comments. It's so true that it's hard to not start doing the things that we love, but we have to pace ourselves. I expected pain after my trip and it's not debilitating by any means, just letting me know my knees aren't happy with me. I believe after a few days of the BS mantra, I'll be back to normal. We want to go to a local state campground in November, if the weather permits. There we will have our phones and can go geocaching. That takes us way in the woods! Also, if it isn't too cold, we can kayak. There is running water and electricity at all their sights, so we'll have the ability to ice my knee, if need be. I'll post a photo of my little Scamp. It's only 16', but enough for us two. It weighs less than 1800 lbs. and can be pulled by a 4cyc. Toyota pickup.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
    Scamp at Poccohontas state park..jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 173
I believe it when the experts say that healing takes at least six months and maybe a year.
I was at about 80%-85% at six months---eight months I was around 90%-95%---ever so close to 100%, but I continued to recover and gain ROM well past a year after my BTKR surgery. Patience is the key---and while we want to get our lives back to normal---"normal" is what we all want, we have to remember that, in reality, our knees, for the most part, took much longer to get in the sad shape prior to the TKR than they will to become fully recovered post-TKR.
 
Oh!!! I love your Scamp. This is the best time of year for the woods, for me. We are so blessed to get our knees.

You inspire me, by the way :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Wow, what a wonderful trip. You did very well indeed. The scamp looks like great fun, too. So glad you got the elec hookup site, too!
 
Paula, it looks like you had such a great time and the weather is so much nicer now. I know that after a couple of days with TLC the knees will be good as new. I am very happy you were able to cross off another goal!!!
 
Thank you, Shelia, @sheliac. I have always loved God's creations, including the woods and creatures in them. Even as a child I'd wander in the woods watching for all kinds of animals and discovering all kinds of different plants and flowers. It's great to hear you're doing so well! @mamazipp, it's amazing how God worked that electric for me! Is HE wonderful or what??!! HE is so good to His children! I couldn't have asked for any better weather. Marilyn was cold on Friday afternoon, but it didn't bother me any! I have my personal summers, anyway! @uva55, you are so right, another goal marked off! I never dreamed I'd be able to walk so many steps. I don't think I could have done it without the ice machine keeping the swelling and pain manageable. Now, to bike about 5 miles outside and swim about 10 laps will be my next two goals. It's warm today, in the 80s, but I'll hold off on those two things for another few days! I am so UP emotionally after this weekend and I want to continue to enjoy it's success before trying something else!
@referee54, having been on Bonesmart since last year, I know it will take a while before I am totally healed. Even my OS said to give it 6 months before I see a lot of pain improvement. I think I have already surpassed that! Being able to nap when I need to is such a blessing, so a few bad nights here and there aren't too terrible!
 
I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your trip. Take a day or two of rest then it's on to your next steps in your recovery.
 
I love your Scamp and share your attitude about the outdoors. I just had to attach a picture of my Chinook. It is a little bigger at 21 ft. but that includes the cab since it is a motor home. Camping is great for the spirit.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
    1997 Concourse at Beach.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 137
@Floridagal, Oh how cute! You don't have to worry about anything to pull it because it pulls itself! Camping for me is like a sabbatical. When I was much younger I took off and went many times right by myself. It's more fun having someone with me, though. @uva55, I'd never make it in Florida. Since menopause I can't stand the heat. I am so glad winter's coming! Well, except for the ice and snow. I'm afraid to get out in that. @newlybionic, I am icing and today I have been peeing like crazy. I know I'm peeing out my swelling! I'm feeling much better already. Of course, an hour plus nap has helped a lot! If I can sleep well tonight, I'll have it beat already!
 
I'm so happy your camping/hiking trip was so successful! And electricity!!!~what a huge answer to prayer! Getting back to normal~~how fantastic! So happy for you! Rest up & get ready for your next adventure! :yes!::happydance:
 
@julesm86, I'm already feeling better! Ice and rest are wonderful companions! If I can make it through the night without those pains I will be able to go swimming tomorrow!
 
Loved reading about your camping trip and how well you're doing!
 
Good luck tomorrow. I'll be praying for you.
 
Thanks to you, I started planning a trip to mountain home for November. I've been afraid to look past tomorrow and your posts give me such hope.

God is good. All the time. And He watches over each of us, His precious children. Please pray for me to be able to trust and let go of my worries. I believe so much in prayer, yet I worry constantly. That is not what God wants for any of us, I know.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
You are so right @sheliac. God tells us not to worry about tomorrow. We are to put our trust in Him and that He will always do what is best for His children. I firmly believe that! You will be fine on your trip if everything works out for you to go. If obstacles get in your way, you can be sure that God's in control and maybe it's to not go just yet. It was always my dream to have my own place in the mountains, but I'll have to wait until my heavenly mountaintop unless He provides a way for it to happen here! Whatever happens, it will be for the best. Go to the mountains and have a peaceful, rejuvenating time! You got two new knees and the worst is far behind you!
 
While going through my infection I lived and breathed Ephesians 3:20. After a while I gave up worrying about what I wanted and accepted whatever He had, even if it meant a 3rd surgery and antibiotic spacer. As soon as I accepted what He wanted, the wound stopped seeping, the infection died down. Because He is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. I still weep thinking of how He used my TKR to draw me closer to Him. God is good, better than I deserve.
Ephesians 3:20
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
 
Two days after my TKR, I suffered a stroke due to decreased BP from anesthesia & pain meds. Come to find out my left internal carotid artery is 100% blocked. ~ it must have been there for years as there's been collateral arteries going over to supply that side of my brain. It was quite traumatic! My Bible verses have been Psalms 27: 13 & 14 "I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord." I'm still holding to those verses as I'm not completely healed yet, but I know He's in control & He will get me there. And I'm so very thankful my BoneSmart friends!
 
Back
Top Bottom