Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I wish I didn't have all this yard work to do! I have 5 acres with about 1 of it cleared. At first I had flowerbeds all over the place. As the years have gone by I've been letting them go, one by one. Now, the only ones left are around the house and the garage. And around the house, I've let some of those go. Once the growing season it over, then it's time to cut wood for my outside wood burning stove. I'm not looking forward to that. I still am unable to carry a lot of weight with my knee. If I have to, I can run the electric. But, wow, what an electric bill with that heat! I am so blessed to be able to do what I can do! Being laid up for 6 weeks really put me way behind out there, but I think with another 12 to 16 hours I should be done! Then I can go on to something else. When you own a home, it's always something else! I just can't overdo. The left one is starting to show itself now.

@KarriB, and @TML, my Vionics came today. I love them, especially the sneakers! They remind me of Birkenstocks with the support they have. They do run large and my Mary Janes are loose. The sneakers will be worn with thick socks this winter, so they will be fine. I will be looking for some more Vionics!
 
hang off my bed on my tummy with my legs dangling from my thighs

I am not understanding this. If you are lying on your stomach, how can your legs hang off the bed? seems they would be facing the wrong way? If lying on your back, your legs could bend at the knee and dangle off the bed?

What am I missing here?
 
Haha. Lying on your tummy letting the legs below the knees dangle off the bed. You have to lie across the bed and if you have a king bed your face will be in the middle of the bed. You'll need a pillow to support your head or face. The leg is dangling with the foot facing the floor. It's not comfortable and 1 minute is plenty at first. I was able to bear it for 5 after a while. Can you visualize it now? I'll post a photo. On your page.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it sounds like your daily living routine suits you and your knee! Guess I ought to try some yard work...but I've got a hilly half acre, so will need to start small! I just got the okay to do the hang legs off bed exercise as well as short arc quads with a soft inflated ball between my knees...the PT that's the physiologist knows my old pattern of knock-kneed-ness and is convinced I can avoid reverting to that pattern if I learn to move more aligned...to this end she modified how I was initially taught to do those short arc quads... Putting the ball between my knees engages my adductors, or inner thighs...
As for cataract surgery, my DH had that done 3 years ago and it has made huge difference for him. Colors are more accurate, he has much clearer vision now, and I have a colleague who was a physician but in retirement became a well-known illustrator of moths. He works large and discovered after his cataract surgery that his paintings were all too yellow!
 
@dianehelen, sorry I wasn't clear. @mamazipp, explained it pretty well. But, don't do it long, no more than a few seconds at first. I don't want you to have the reaction to it that I did. But, aren't you already at 0? If so, you don't need to do that. It is for extension only and you've got that nailed already!

No new news to report knee wise. My night was pretty good with only a few wake ups with discomfort. My biggest complaint today is my shin bone aching. Must be something I did as usual! It sounds like we're finally going to get some rain tomorrow. Compliments of Hermine. That means it's a day of not working outside. Yippee! No complaints from this girl! But, I do have to get out there today. I want to be lazy and rest up from yesterday but ain't gonna happen yet. That's OK, the end is in sight!

Thank God you Floridians made out OK. You were prayed for a lot!
 
extension only and you've got that nailed already

Yes I do. One thing I never had a problem with from day one. Yay me. Now just keep trying to do what I can for the bend, including fighting off well meaning but annoying friends who INSIST the ONLY way I'll have a good outcome & correct rom is with no pain no gain, pt. Ughhh. I know they mean well but, ughhh yanno?
 
One of the best things about summer is just throwing on Vionic flip flops. Sometimes I wear them in the winter with socks! : 0
I do have Vionic slippers that are comfy and warm for winter. They do seem a little like Berkies and my friends who've had PF in the past said Berkies were all they could wear, but now they love Vionics too. I'm glad they'll work for you.
 
@dianehelen, I have friends that ask me if I doing pt. I just smile and say no, I'm doing it myself. They have an unenthusiastic, "Oh." as an answer. Why do they care? I'm living my life and doing pretty daggone good at it, thank you! It's like everyone wants me to have to go through excruciating pain to rehab this knee. Hey, it's bad enough without having pt add they trauma to it! Now, I can get off of my soapbox!
@KarriB, do you find their winter slippers really warm? My feet stay cold almost all winter, thus I wear those really thick socks I had mentioned earlier. Oh I just thought of thought of something. I'll check them out and see if they have insulated shoes for winter time. Humm, more surfing! A good excuse to sit and ice and elevate!

Marilyn is off today and is helping me with the flowerbeds! We have tons of day lilies to dig up and transplant along with irises and loads of wild violets to pull up. Between the violets and day lilies, my flowerbeds were a disaster. So, as I sit here and write, she's out there digging, so I gotta go back to work! No more excuses!
 
Mine were warm enough and I always wore thick socks with them.
 
My shin was aching today too. I can't stand and work today because of it, so I'll need to sit a lot. I think it's the Florida weather coming our way. We weren't supposed to get it, but we are. And I started hurting more yesterday. I looked around and asked if it was going to rain soon? And of all things, it woke me up around 2 this morning! It was raining pretty hard.
 
My shin is getting worse. I was hoping that getting up and moving around would ease it up, but it's the opposite. I don't know what to do for a shin splint, if that's what it is. When I get up again I'll try some BioFreeze and if that doesn't work I'll try the Tiger Balm. Anybody have any idea what to do for it? It's worse than my knee and is throbbing every so often. It's really painful and I don't want to walk on it anymore, but I have to!
 
Paula, I am sorry now you have to deal with shin pain.

We sure are a sad bunch, your shin, my shoulder, nothing is working on my shoulder, I tried ice, heat, bio freeze...and my doctor finally called me back, no more injections for now, I can try PT...I don't think so, I just applied a muscle relief essential oil hoping it will help and I'm hopeful that when the weather improves so will my shoulder.:sos:

I am Soooooo over aches and pains:tantrum:
 
@uva55 have you ever looked into acupuncture? It can be very effective for some chronic pain. My son has chronic neck pain, and has found some relief with acupuncture. It's not a one time instant fix , and sadly most ins limits it, if covered at all, to a fixed amounts of visits per year. I tried it a few years ago, before my knee was totally bone on bone and it did give me some relief. Just a thought.. I hate seeing people I care about in pain..
 
I'm icing my shin now and have left a message with my PA. I have a feeling she'll tell me to slow down. We'll see. This shin has bothered me since the surgery, but is gradually getting worse. I'm ready for it to stop! @uva55, it's so disappointing to be feeling better then something else pops up. With the storm moving away from down there, hopefully all of you will feel much better.
 
I can see how frustrating that would be. You need all your good energy to heal your knees, and then something else comes up. Hope it turns out to be easily treatable!
 
I googled it and one of the things it said was to quit running,:rotfl:! Me run? Never have, never will! Anyway, another thing it said to do was to ice. So, I'm icing it and my lower knee. I do believe it's helping! Ice is a miracle worker!
 
Paula, sorry about the shin pain! I had shin splints years ago when I first started running. Incredibly painful and I had to pause my carefully planned running program until they healed. Which they did.
I have had fleeting days of shin pain during this recovery that seem to come out of nowhere. They last a day and make it too uncomfortable to walk. I spend a day elevating and vegetating, and then it passes. I hope your passes too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom