TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

PA called back a few minutes ago. She said ice, anti-inflammatories, and less activity. and if not better by Tuesday to call back and she'd work me in. Now, I just noticed that a have a big bruise that has come up on my front ankle about the size to 2 silver dollars. I wish I had noticed them before she called. I haven't bumped myself, so that's not it. Is seems like there's always something to worry about! But, the ice has helped my shin a lot! I'm alternating between the knee and the shin.
 
Ughh you poor overworked woman. Best advice, agree with PA. slow down on doing so much. I know its hard, with all your house/home duties, but if you overdo, you wont be able to take care of things anyway.
 
Diane, you are so right and I know it. Just call me stubborn! I didn't think I was overworked, not this late out from surgery. I take lots of breaks and ice and elevate. But, I guess it's not enough. I'm going to keep an eye on this bruising. No reason for it to have just showed up about 6" from where all the pain in my shin was. But, it doesn't hurt at all. That's got to be good!
 
My shin hurt a few days ago as well out of nowhere. It cleared up after days of more icing and elevation.

It seems that I have a new issue come up each week somewhere in this crazy healing process. :flabber:

Hang in there and enjoy those new Vionics. Be sure you break them in slowly. I bought some slippers without backs and wear them around the house instead of my flip flops now that it's getting cooler. I love them! :happydance:
 
@TML, thanks for sharing with me that you also shared the experience with your shin. My bruise doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, which eases my mind some, too. I have had the shin issue the whole time since my surgery, but never as bad as it was today. The PA also said with Hermine coming this way with the lower pressure might have something to do with it. Weather changes have always hurt my knees but this is the first time it was my shin!
 
You're welcome, Paula. It's good you talked to PA.

I tend to panic at the first sign of anything hurting besides my new knee. I'm finding it helps to back off everything I'm doing and rest, ice, elevate, take a pain pill, and distract myself with something like a good movie. I did that today when I overdid home exercises today and will probably feel better tomorrow. Unfortunately, we're in this recovery for the long haul. :old:

As I've gotten older, weather changes definitely impact me. Hoping everyone stays safe with Hermine.
 
Yep, the long haul. That bad word is popping up again...patience! God is going to teach me that one way or the other!
 
We are just starting to feel the effects of Hermine. We are finally blessed with rain, after a terribly hot July and August that had very little rain. When I was working out in the flowerbeds today, there was no moisture in them at all. The dirt is like a brick. This wonderful rain will surely help things, including all our wells out here in the country!
I am feeling some weather related aches in both knees, but nothing drastic. I hope it continues that way. Being a weather spotter for the NWS, I will be getting up all during the night to check on the radar and weather measuring equipment here. It will be a long one, but I'm a volunteer and I take it seriously! Recently, they rewarded me with a 10 year pin and certificate! It's nice to be appreciated!
 
Hi Paula
I'm sorry you are having these additional problems, and it's hard not to worry. I'm just like @TML, I go into panic mode every time some new symptom or pain appears, but I think her advice is excellent. And I hope you can get the doc to look at it soon if it's still bothering you. They don't say this is a year long recovery for nothing. I think that climate and temperature have a very definite effect as well and you do seem to have extremes of weather. The other thing I know makes pain worse is stress, and being in pain is stressful in itself so then you have a vicious circle. So take a break, settle down with a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake and a good book or film, and have a well deserved rest. We will get through this.
Tabby xxx
 
Paula, what a great volunteer activity. Congratulations on that well earned recognition.
Audrey
 
Good morning, everyone. It was a rough night with both knees, but I got through it. This morning is uncomfortable, too, but we did a lot of work yesterday and Hermine is right off the coast. It is moving off now, which will be good for my knees! I have only 1 flowerbed left and can get that one this afternoon or Monday. The shin is much better, at least 50%! My concentrated pain in on the lower part of my knee where I think the bottom of the implant was attached to the bone. I bumped it yesterday and it was a huge OUCH! I am my worst enemy! Now, I'm hoping I can get some good naps in today to make up for my lack of sleep last night. If it wasn't the storm check, it was the knees, or it was 2 of my kitties that decided to holler during the middle of the night. They are going to be shut out of my bedroom tonight!

We got only around 3/4" of rain, but I praise God for it! I was hoping for a couple of inches of rain from Hermine, but this storm's movement is not easily forecasted. They are saying they think it's going to sit off the coast for days and strengthened back into a hurricane and maybe move west again. One thing's for sure, nothing's for sure when it comes to the track of a hurricane!
 
I finally got out and went geocaching this afternoon with Marilyn. We found 3 of them! I had to walk on some hills and some uneven ground for the first time since S day. I got home and immediately replenished my ice machine and started icing. So far, I feel fine! Tonight will be the test. I really wanted to try riding my bike this afternoon, but I figured I had already done enough. I know how My Brat can react if it's not happy!

All in all, my knees did pretty well during the remnants of Hermine. My old knee was a little extra sore, but the new one did better than I had thought it would! I know during one of the early summer storms it woke me up with awful pains, but hardly a bit during our wind and rain. I'm so thankful she is healing nicely! My next surgery will be cataract. I talked to some friends at church today and they said it's nothing to it. I'll schedule it Tuesday.
 
wow that is so great to hear, that you were able to do your geo cashing and enjoy it with your new knee, Glad Hermine didnt mess with you too much. We really dodged a bullet here

As for the cataract surgery, it really is nothing compared to what you went thru with your knee. Good Luck for Tuesday
 
You are doing great, Paula! I've had cataracts removed from both my eyes and it is an easy surgery and NO PAIN! You will be amazed at how much better you can see.
 
Paula, looks like you had a fun day and brat behaved:dancy:

Good luck with your eye appointment, both of my parents had it, it was smooth sailing!!
 
Thank you, ladies for your encouragement. I'm just tired of that other word I hate, surgery! But, from what I've heard this can hardly been called surgery! My tooth being pulled is probably much worse than this will be. My friend said for her putting in the drops were the worst part of the whole thing. She had to do it before and afterwards.

Well, both knees were bad last night and I had to go back on the Oxy and still didn't get much sleep. I was icing, but got so cold I turned it off. It seems the only real short-term relief was getting up and walking around. This isn't a new thing, though. The knees have been like this for years, so it's not just from the tkr. Since icing this morning and moving around, I'm feeling better. How disappointing that one different, extra thing can cause such discomfort. Not only is My Brat in control, so is Miss Jealous! One of these days Paula will be in control of what she wants to do and do it!

Today is a beautiful, sun-shiny day. Too bad it's a work day. Once more flowerbed has to be cleaned and the grass cut. There will be lots of breaks and icing frequently to keep the knees happy!

Everyone have a safe, fun-filled and painfree day!
 
Don't overdo! I have been spending the first couple of hours on the couch because I can't fall asleep in bed. Last night it was my thumb hurting me! We all have such strange pains popping up when all we want to do is get that knee normal.
 
Enjoy being out in your garden! I'll also wish you enjoyment of your ice and elevation breaks!
 
Oh, I just have arthritis in the thumbs. At one point I had surgery to the left. I haven't had surgery to the right and don't want to. I wear a splint when I work out. It just decided to let me know it was still an important body part. The funny thing is that my carpel tunnel in both wrists seem better since my TKR. Go figure.
 
Back
Top Bottom