Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

The sad part of all of this prescription stuff is, as you said Paula, addicts can get everything they want on the street, whenever they want. And do any of us appear like we are personally going out to sell our meds on the street? After just having our bones cut, hammered, pounded, etc. why, we can barely walk, for peters sake. It is insulting to have to deal with this nonsense. Yes, my doctors will write a timetable on the script which is not what was discussed, which is only a guide anyway, as I see it. They also write the number of pills to dispense.
To be made to feel like we are drug seeking is plain nonsense.
I hope you can get the rest of the meds you need. Ultimately, we are the ones who are having the pain and know what works. The docs have very little real knowledge about drug addiction, anyway.

My rant for the day.
 
When we have this surgery, we can't know what our recovery will be like, some people need meds longer than others, or have complications and it's a fact that pain hinders recovery and healing. Worrying about running out of medication only causes more stress. In the UK you can't even buy Kaolin and Morphine medicine over the counter any more (though some online pharmacies stock it, thank goodness). What's it coming to?
Paula, as for your maths question, don't look at me, I only taught nursery, we didn't count past 10!
 
@sistersinhim Before surgery I had some trouble sleeping. It is the same now. I sleep well for two or three days in a row and then have a night where I toss and turn all night and don't fall asleep until 3:00 a.m. For me it is not about pain. I guess it is old age. I am sure your night pain doesn't help. This sounds a little discouraging. We just have to find something fun to do those night we can't sleep. Maybe we could start a night time social club where we'd talk about anything but knees.
 
Good morning, everyone! I went to bed feeling really good, so I didn't bother setting up my ice machine. Well, My Brat woke me up at 11:30 wanting ice. I guess I can't get away with the 'no ice at night' yet. After getting her ice and reading for around 30 minutes, I went back to sleep until 3am, when the Tramadol was due. Then I slept til 6:30! This is much improved! I might try the 'no ice at night' in another week or so. I'm feeling really good this morning, just a little bit of discomfort. How encouraging, especially since my brother and sister-n-law are coming today! I'm looking forward to seeing them!
@Floridagal, My sleeping has been bad for years because of the knees. They weren't and aren't able to stay in one position for long, so I move around all night long. Then menopause came along and added to sleeping problems, then a bladder tack. I was told to never let my bladder fill all the way up anymore, so that is added, too. So, nights like last night was a good one. I will gladly take it!
@TML, rubbing my hands over my knee has helped a lot with minimizing the burning. Thank you for the tips! Every little baby step helps. Now, I'm starting to see some preteen steps! Before long, they'll be adult steps!
 
Ughh bad brat. She needs a time out. Ice is an anaming thing isn't it?

Hope brat has learned her lesson. My first iced night machine stayed cold all night. That's a good thing.
 
Doesn't the ice feel wonderful! Things have changed so much in the last 30 years since I started having the knee surgeries. They used to tell you to use heat. When I was first told to use ice, I thought they were crazy! What a huge difference it makes. And Diane, once that bandage is cut off, you will really feel the ice. That will feel even better! I don't think My Brat has learned her lesson, but her mama has! I will set up that ice machine in my bedroom before bed for at least another week or so before I try it without again!
 
Good to hear you slept last night. Hope for many more better night for you, it really does make so much difference. Enjoy your day with your relatives!
 
@Tabbycat, thank you! I hope to start having these better nights stacking up on each other! I tried to get my family to come for lunch, but they wanted to eat at a famous restaurant that's on the way here. I can understand that. Getting out to eat is fun. I haven't done that yet since the surgery. My sister gave me a gift card to Red Lobster for my birthday, but I haven't used it. I'm thinking about trying it out really soon. I can always prop up the legs! I wanna get me some of those crab legs!
 
You will go out to eat soon, and really enjoy it. One more normal thing to look forward to!
 
Yes, and I'm looking forward to it! We have a steak house here called Texas Roadhouse that has an excellent 6oz. steak that we were go get at least once a month. I miss that. It's a very casual atmosphere so I wouldn't feel exposed putting my leg up on the chair or booth seat. I'm really getting itchy about getting out and doing the old, normal things again! Life has been on hold for 11 weeks now. It's time to release that hold!
 
Texas Roadhouse is good but Red Lobster's crab fest is better! Lol I sometimes stop and pick up take out from a local restaurant like that on my way home from work. Then I can ice and elevate and enjoy dinner at the same time. Getting back to normal activities is the best. Just be prepared to experience possible pain and swelling afterwards. You will find that you will have more days that you can be 'normal' and have no repercussions at all.

I think we should then start the 'I Did It Club' for each of the things we are able to accomplish that we couldn't have thought of prior to surgery.
 
I think I'll start one in the social room. It will help to see the positives of the joint replacements.
 
Wow, for the insurance company to second guess your own doctor about your pain. That's horrible. I'm so glad it sounds like your doctor is willing to fight for you and figure things out with you.
 
Paula, I still like to sleep with the ice machine at 6 months. My baby has no plan for weaning! If it feels good, do it for as long as you want.
 
@newlybionic, I Did It Club, I like it, too! I'll check out the social room. And I'm going to check out take out for the crab fest at Red Lobster. I've never been to one and I'm anxious to get those crab legs! @greatlakes, it is a shame that our doctors have lost so much of their control of our health care. Organized insurance companies have taken over our health care! Money rules everything. @uva55, I'm not going to get a pneumonia shot until I find out. It doesn't hurt to be extra careful! @mamazipp, 6 months huh? Well, if I have to keep her happy for 6 months to sleep, it's worth it!
 
because the patella was gone, the patella tendon had worn away the top front of the bone. @Josephine, have you ever heard of this?
That's perfectly to be expected. The patella is what is called a sesamoid bone. These bones occur in places where ligaments or muscles are tensioned over a bony prominence. We get them in the great toe and the thumb as well but the not always. However, everyone has a patella! The reason this bone grows where it does it to protect the ligament and the bone from excessive wear. So this is why you have wear in the femoral condyle!

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
This is a factor, too
broken link removed: https://www.ashp.org/menu/News/PharmacyNews/NewsArticle.aspx?id=4357
 
So now even the pharmacist has a say so on what and when we can get our pain meds. I might not ever get my other knee done!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom