TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

It sure is, I write as I'm just waking up from a nap! I took about 1 hour and 45 minutes this morning and string trimmed my yard. After my shower, I drove 25 minutes to church to help serve lunch for our local seniors. Well after about an hour there, my knee rebelled big time! I had to leave early, come home and ice and take an Oxy. I guess I'm not a super woman yet. Maybe next week,:heehee:. I'm some better now. Let's hope My Brat got it out of her system today and doesn't bother me tonight! Enough is enough all ready! I am tired of babying this knee. But, I know it still has the last word! Man, and I've got another one to have to worry about in the future. Guess I'll be on Bonesmart for quite a while!
 
That's a long time to be standing on that new knee. If you're up on the knee for an hour that means 1-2 hours elevating/icing. You may have a hard time sleeping tonigh.
 
Oh, @KarriB, don't say that! I'm thinking My Brat has gotten her temper tantrum out this afternoon and won't bother me anymore! Today is the third time I've string-trimmed, so My Brat should be used to it by now. The problem was I didn't get a chance to ice before heading to work at church. I've been icing ever since.
 
Hopefully your knee is quiet tonight. This recovery seems to go on for too long for most of us. I too am tired of pain and swelling after activity. I keep hoping every day when I wake up that it will be the day that it is finally healed.
 
Yep... ditto here.... tired of the swollenness. Ready for it to start looking like a knee and not a baseball!
 
My Brat did better than I thought it would last night! My sleeping was not any worse than the last few nights, which is better than last week! I got up feeling pretty good, so I thought I'd run to Sam's and then Walmart since I had a prescription waiting for me there. I had told the PA that I needed 4 a day because I was taking 2 twice at night. She said she'd give me a month's worth. My last one was for 50 pills on 8/2. Well, when I got to the pharmacy there, the checker said it wasn't there, to go talk to the lady that takes the prescriptions. So, I walk over there and she looked it up and said it was on hold because I had just gotten 50 on the 2nd. I said I was taking 4 a day and she said she'd run it through again, and it went right on through. But, then I had to wait over 45 minutes! I had taken nothing for pain before I left the house, not even Tylenol, because I thought I'd be gone only a few hours. My Brat does not like hanging down. Neither knee has for 20 years or more, but now it really hurt My Brat. By the time I picked up the prescription I was fit to be tied. When I got home and looked at it, it's only 90 pills, 1 every 8 to 12 hours. Are they nuts!! Why bother!!?? I don't know if my OS said this, or the PA or the insurance company, or Walmart. I have a call in to the PA to find out what's going on. They sure are getting stingy with Tramadol. It's not like it's a narcotic that people get high off of!

So, now, here I sit back under ice afraid to take my pain pill in case I'll need them more later on. Oh well, if it's the insurance company causing all this problem, I'll have a new one as of September 1st! This is the first time I've ever had a problem get medication. And another reason why it wasn't ready, is maybe Walmart is waiting until the person gets there to actually fill it. If that's the case, why call it in? Boy, am I angry! Thanks for letting me vent!
 
I'm glad you're knee let you have a good night's sleep last night! I was wrong and happy to be!

Paula, I would call the office to see what's up, but you're nearing the 3 month mark, which is where some people find they need less to control their pain. I know you're worried about having pain and nothing to take for it, so a conversation wit your OS pay allay your fears. Ask him what his expectations are for you where pain/medication is concerned. Sometimes things can be misconstrued when going between a patient, PA and physician.
 
@KarriB, When I saw him on the 9th. he said this pain was expected because of my knee. He was perfectly happy to give me another prescription for the Oxy, which I'd rather not take if I don't absolutely have to. And he said to call in when I needed some more Tramadol. I thought he was on board with me needing something for the nighttime aches. I haven't heard back from the PA yet. I'll see what she says. If he thinks I should be weeding off of them, then I'll just have to cut back on my activities until I have a little more healing inside. Hey, doing less work is fine with me, but it is the pits trying to do catchup!
 
Paula,im sorry you are having to deal with so much pain still, I think that laws are getting tougher for docs prescribing pain meds and maybe this is why. I asked my doc for Tramadol, sometimes I need one a little relief and he only gave me 50.

I hope that soon you won't need any meds :flwrysmile:
 
Paula, maybe just breaking up the way you work outside would help your pain levels. Instead of doing a whole hour and 45 minutes break it up into half hour intervals and icing in between. I know it's a pain in the neck, but leave your tools in the shade and come back to them after your break.
 
@KarriB, that sounds like a really good idea! I'll give it a try. If I wasn't having company this weekend, I never would have tried to string-trim and work at church in the same morning! Next week should be an easier one, especially since we've had no rain to speak of this month. The stuff has to quit growing sooner or later! House cleaning will wait until tomorrow morning.
@uva55, it's not that the pain's so bad, it's that it's messing up my sleeping! The Tylenol is doing OK during the day, but no so at night. Of course, I wasn't sleeping good before the surgery either. Maybe it's just the way it is. It helps a lot that I can now sleep on my sides. I just have to keep moving. It is so aggravating! But, I'm improving, and I'm happy with that! I read that you had a good day today, a very normal day! That's wonderful. I pray it continues!
 
Just heard from the PA. She said that she did write it that way, that the insurance company wouldn't except a prescription written for 2 at bedtime and 2, 6 hours later. She said they are getting so picky now, that they have all this guidelines that they have to follow now. She also said that taking 4 a day is fine and when I need more to let her know. I then told her they had a hold on the one she called in on Tuesday because I got 50 on the 2nd., but that was ridiculous! She said they were really cracking down on pain meds. You know, the decent, law-abiding citizen doesn't stand a chance! A few bad people ruin it for the rest of us. At least I know the OS is on my side!:yay:
 
Paula, my back Doctor writes me scripts for Oxycodone and I am so thankful that my daughter in law is a pharmacist, a couple of times I've gone to other pharmacies that are closer to where I live and I feel like I'm a drug abuser the way they act, it's rediculous, the prescription is from a well known Ortho group in Tampa. The sad part is that the people that abuse these drugs still get them in the streets.
 
Paula, I'm glad you were able to speak with the office. Now you have no worries, but you may still want to think about breaking up your next yard work day. I couldn't find a lawn mower.

:snow plough:
 
You are so blessed to have a pharmacist in the family! What is going to happen to the poor people on here that are having replacements close together? Are the insurance companies going to control how that meds are given out. It all started with the HMOs. Now, the prescription drug insurance providers are dictating how much medicine we can get. Wow. What's next? How disturbing and scary.
 
So why couldn't she just write for one every six hours? My psychiatrist writes prescriptions for some meds so they 'fit' what the insurance wants but I take them as she has told me to. It's much easier that way.
 
@KarriB, same principle! Except mine is a riding mower! But, my string-trimmer isn't. Someone needs to invent one. I'd stand in line for it! Maybe I'll google it or check Ebay or Amazon. They have everything!! I am so relieved that I can go to my good nighttime routine at least for another month! And by then, I'm thinking I won't need anymore pain meds except a night after string-trimming that day:heehee:!
@newlybionic, I thought the same thing. In June, she wrote exactly that, but I got only 70 pills. Somebody doesn't know their math! That's less than 18 days, not a month. Who knows why they do what they do? When I went to school 4 pills a day for 30 days comes out to 120! Did they come out with some new math since I've been out? All you school teachers out there, please let us know if they have!
 
Hmm @sistersinhim I find your comment about insurance companies controlling the # of narcotic meds very interesting; especially, since my two TKRs will be 4 months apart. I'll put this on my list of questions for my OS!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom