TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

:yes!:So good to hear your news! What a difference a few weeks have made for you.
 
Well, stupid me. I pulled grass and weeds for about an hour yesterday and now I can't walk without pain. When I came yesterday I immediately iced, but I had church last night, so I didn't ice as much as I normally would have. I guess the combo of the bending over and the less icing caused My Brat to rebel. So, instead of getting groceries today, I'm sitting and icing. I will ride the inside bike a little later on to try and work it out. How disappointed I was when my knee rebelled last night and of course, it was a night I hadn't set up the ice machine. You'd think I'd know better! I'll update later if I have any changes.
 
Ugh Paula , so sorry that brat is still misbehaving. I really hope with all you do, it starts to feel more normal soon. You are such a busy productive person. Im really in awe of all you do. Please rest and feel better
 
Oh man the ODIC! It's a good thing know how to get out of it . . . :eeeuw:
 
It's always the nights that I'm not set up to ice my knee that it always seems to bother me the most. Sometimes I can't even figure out why it's good one day and swollen another. All I can say is that over time it will finally stop causing problems at night.
 
I should have remembered that bending from my waist to pull weeds and grass ends up causing my knee a lot of pain. It's pulling on the extension, I think, and that's what ends up making me hurt. I know when I was doing the extension exercises more often, I suffered for 2 or 3 days, so I stopped them. Bending from the waist must be doing just about the same thing. Without having kneecaps I haven't been able to squat for the last 20+ years, so waist bending is the only way I can clean the flowerbeds. My extension is better, but it's not equal with the other knee. That's one is in the negative range. That's where I want this one. That way I can 'lock' it when standing and not have to worry about it giving out. It used to lock before the surgery, so I should be able to get it back.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
You'll get there. By bending at the waist you were stretching your hamstring and that's what you do with the elevation elevation exercises.
 
That sounds perfectly reasonable. I've had more pain on this extension area than my bending areas. I thought it would be the other way around. Everybody is different.
 
@sistersinhim they won't miss with a little old lady, haha. When I take vitamins on a trip I throw them all in a plastic Baggie all together. I don't bother to separate them as I know I take one of each kind daily. I don't think we'll be profiled for drugs, and the drug sniffing dogs won't react. I watch a lot of border security programs, lol.

You are doing well and I'm sure you will be able to enjoy those 4 activities soon. You are amazing for having done them before, and you are getting closer.
 
I agree. Extension is so painful to achieve. I prop my ankle on a rolled up towel when lying down and let it hang until I can't stand it any more. It's slowly helped but I think I need to keep doing this or it may revert back.
 
I'm hoping it won't revert back as long and when we walk, we make sure it's completely straight when we roll up on our toes. Keeping this in my mind all the time has helped.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
Here's my 12 week old knee. It still is red and bruised. The red around the incision didn't come through on the photo. In the mornings the incision is almost faded.
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My incision still looks red most of the time. Sometimes even purple! Your knee has had a lot more surgeries than most of us. I'm sure the color will fade. Your extension won't regress as long as you walking. For me I've found that when I try to walk faster I am taking longer strides which is actually stretching my hamstrings so my extension keeps getting better slowly.
 
My extension is improving. Just by being able to lay flat on my back in bed without my knee killing me is a sure sign that it's better. I'm afraid to walk long strides unless I'm holding on to the walker. Both knees are too weak for those long strides. I am constantly thinking of getting my leg straighter as I go about my daily life, though. And it's working! But, I'll have to remember to not overdo my cleaning the flowerbeds! I am feeling better now, doing a day of icing has certainly helped. My ODIC membership is lasting only a day now instead of three or four days! That's a huge improvement.
 
I will gladly be kicked out for good!
 
  • Funny
Reactions: TML
You're doing great!!! :yes!: How exciting! It's a very long road for sure! I'm so happy for you! You'll be doing your list of 4 very soon! :happydance:
 
Thank you, Julie, @julesm86. My membership to the Y becomes active again September 1st. That will give me the opportunity to get back to my swimming. I have reservations to go camping on the weekend of the 16th of Sept. That should get me back to hiking and kayaking! The ice machine and ice maker will have to go with us! That will leave just the outside bike riding. When I asked my OS about the bike riding, he sorta frowned and said to just be careful. So, he has me afraid of it. But, it will come. I have a really nice Diamondback Low Entry bike that rides like a Cadillac!
 
Back
Top Bottom