TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Have a wonderful special day, Paula!


[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Happy birthday! Wishing you a speedy recovery and no more surgeries!
 
Ah, you girls are so special to me! Thank you for remembering me on my birthday. Thank you, @dianehelen, for the beautiful flowers! @Tabbycat, and @uva55, thank you for my sweet cards! And the rest of you, thank you for the wishes! It was a good day in SS and church. The class participated in my teaching really well. That's always encouraging and makes me what to study more! The lunch was perfect. The couple fixed a nice wholesome meal without any strong spices. I had explained that my tummy was still sensitive and they were so thoughtful and considerate to make sure that nothing would irritate it. They told me to bring home the ice machine that I used there since mine sprung a leak. Theirs is a DonJoy Iceman 3. This can take the large blocks of ice, so will last all night long. I can't wait to try it tonight. If I can stay off of my sides I should sleep pretty well. When I got back home this evening, I took a nice nap. Having a full tummy sure helped that along!
 
I am happy for you that you had such a nice birthday...I wish you a good night!!!
 
Yes, a good night's sleep would be the best b-day gift!
 
Happy belated birthday Paula! Hope your day was wonderful!
 
Thank you ladies! I did sleep a little bit better, but boy, do I want more! There's nothing really happening today, so it will mainly be a rest day. Yesterday was quite full, so I think I've earned a lazy, resting day! Well, I do have to go out and spray some vinegar and pull some weeds. But, that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
 
Happy Birthday!!!!!!! :flwrysmile:

I'm so glad you had a special day yesterday and your Sunday school class was rewarding and lunch was fun. It sounds like a blessed day.
 
Oh, it was a very blessed day! The knee did pretty good, too. Since my friends had their ice machine set up and I had bought 2 pillows, I was able to elevate and ice right after church for an hour or so. That helped tremendously! And they had found this tiny 4 person sized birthday cake. Perfect for us 4 overweight people! [Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
I have my 2nd after surgery appointment with my OS tomorrow morning. I am going to ask him about all this redness and heat and bruising that I'm still getting around my knee. And of course, the awful aching I'm getting at night keeping me from sleeping well. Last night it was feeling different, too, like my leg was exhausted and I had to keep moving it to try and work out the tiredness. It was strange. A new feeling for me. There is always something going on with these knees of ours! But, wish me luck that my OS will explain things to me and that I understand what he's talking about!
 
Good luck tomorrow Paula, I also see my OS tomorrow and have written down a few questions I have for him, if I don't write them down I forget, I can't blame short term memory on the knee :heehee:
 
Oh, but I do! At least I'm blaming it on the brain fog!:what:
 
I had my 2nd after-surgery visit with my OS this morning. My doctor is an hour away, plus I had to wait about an hour. You know how that goes! Anyway, he said that everything is normal for my knee. He expected some tissue damage when he went in, but found something unexpected. He said that because the patella was gone, the patella tendon had worn away the top front of the bone. @Josephine, have you ever heard of this? He said he had to deal with that. I forgot to ask if it was the tibia or the upper bone. I have much more pain on the tibia, so I think it was there. He said by six months I should start to see a lot of improvements. Man, I hate to have 4 more months of this pain. He also gave me a prescription for a week of Ambien to try. If that works he said to get it from my PCP. Oh yeah and 60 more Oxycodones, and I just took one because my knee is screaming after all this sitting and driving. I pulled out the wave elevator leg lifter and am icing, which I plan on doing all afternoon! Hopefully, I can get a nice nap in. Just let me start reading. That should do it!

He was really happy with my bend, but said I need a little more on the extension. It looks to be about a 3. I told him that I had been working really hard on both. The burning sensation is exactly what Josephine had said it was, the nerves reattaching, to try and rub it to desensitize it. I don’t know if I can stand that yet! I don’t have to see him again for a year unless there’s a problem or a need a shot in the left knee. He doesn’t want to replace that one for a year. I took a long list of questions with me and he patiently answered every one of them. I'm so blessed to have been led to him!

I heard from my appeal from my disability board. Since I'm 65 it is policy to take an employee off of it. I am not eligible for anymore appeals. Oh well, God has always taken care of me, and I have faith He will now, too. Thank God, I have my profit sharing to fall back on. At least when it's time to replace the left one, I’ll have a Medigap insurance coverage then, so it'll be no financial surprises! I hate all these extra medical bills popping up!
 
Well it sounds like your knee was in pretty bad shape before your surgery. What happened to your patella? Considering the damage you've been pretty active in your recovery. Sounds like all is going well.
Happy for you!

It's nice that he gave you more oxy. It helps to have pain meds for those days......
Hope the ambien gives you some nighttime relief.

You'll be able to get SS or have you already been getting that.
 
:wowspring:With all of that damage you have done awesome, now I am sure it makes sense to you, why sometimes you have pain, but your recovery has been amazing nonetheless. Great that you were able to get more pain meds, for those painful moments.

I am sorry about your disability problem, it really stinks when you have to worry about stuff like that when you are trying to deal with any type of medical issues. You have the right attitude that things will work out.
 
@mamazipp, with the kneecap removals in the early 90s, I have been considered totally disabled and have already been on Medicare SSI. I was born with birth defects in my knees. It runs on both sides of my family. More so, though, on mama's side. Over half of us cousins on that side have had TKRs. I was the only one who had to have the caps removed. They would not track right and had worn way down. After two lateral releases on each knee, the doctors decided to take out both caps. One in '91 and one in '93. This day in time, they found that removals cause more problems than they solve and don't do it anymore. That why it was so important for me to find an OS who had done replacements on patients without kneecaps. My patella tendon is much shorter than if I had a cap.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom