Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Thank you, Pumpkin. I will give it a try when my incision is completely closed.
 
My little walk around outside yesterday caused me to have a very painful night with not a lot of sleep. This morning I'm very sore, but at least that throbbing pain is gone. Who would have thought that little bit of change would effect me so much. Oh well, it is a learning experience! Another plus I have found. Before the surgery I was unable to do a bent knee to straight knee leg lift because of the arthritis pain. I tried that last night and it's gone! Now, I should be able to work on those quads like I've not be able to for 20+ years! Of course, I have months of healing to do before I do that. But, I now know it's possible!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I used cling wrap and masking tape when I took my shower until just recently. It was fine but then my scar is not sensitive to the touch. I didn't notice it affecting the scar.
 
@Floridagal I was referring to the article here about cling wrap helping with nighttime pain, not for taking a shower. I've been cleared to shower without any coverage. The whole medial side of my knee has a burning sensation when anything touches it. I'm hoping to soon try the wrap at night to see if that will help.
 
I just measured my ROM and I'm pretty happy with the results. 95/9, and that's with right much swelling on the medial side. The lateral side is mostly numb but not that medial side. It stings if anything touches it. The stinging space has diminished some, so there's improvement there, too. Since yesterday's 'outing' resulting with tenderness, I've been pretty sedentary. I'm hoping for a better night's sleep tonight.
 
Sorry you had a bad night last night Paula. Lord knows I visited the ODI, (Over Did It), many many times when I was only 3wks out.

Your ROM is awesome!! I haven't gotten that high and I'm at 7wks today. But I'm working on it!

Hope you're able to get better sleep tonight!

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Thank you, ladies for your well wishes for a better night for me tonight. I wish the same for you, too! @Suz, my ROM is without doing any PT or exercises, just normal daily living! I wish everyone could realize that you don't have to traumatize an already traumatized knee. Knees will return to their normal ROM if we just leave them alone and let it happen in their on time.
 
@sistersinhim Oh Paula how great it is to hear you talk about your success with no PT. Are you doing any thing, even heel slides, ankle pumps?
Im gonna print this out to show my husband when the time comes. He is kinda old school and we have had a few discussions about my healing plans for no PT. He believes the old work hard PT and get better results, but He is starting to come around, as I talk more and more about it. But I AM saving a few posts to make like a scrap book of "Knee healing with NO PT" ' :)

You inspire me! Hope you have a better night tonight... Have you ever tried like herbal tea, like camomile or sleepy time?

Sweet Dreams.
 
I hope that you are sleeping now and don't see my post until the morning. It's totally amazing to me that less is more when it comes to PT. if I ever need my other knee done I will follow that advice because it has worked well for me too. Keep up the good 'work'.:wink:
 
@dianehelen, ankle pumps are for right after surgery when you're not moving around much. I've not done them since I've been so active. I occasionally do heel slides, but mostly just walk. I will also sit on a bench and swing my leg, trying to get it to go back a little further each time I sit back on it. I'm concentrating on straight lifting my leg a little higher than necessary. When I walk with my walker sometimes I lift my leg up as I step, almost like a short march. So, in a way I am doing PT. But, I am in control of when and what I do.
 
Thanks, that is music to my ears. :thankyou:

This is going in my Just Say No to PT scrapbook to show sweet, but old school "dr knows best" hubby the Bonesmart way is best, and what I will be doing.
 
Hello all. I had a much better night last night. I did wake up when it was time to pee and take the pain medicine, but I went right on back to sleep! Those of us that have had bladder tacks know about the nighttime pees! I have started taking Tramadol and Tylenol during the day. Pain is there, but not bad. I'm still on 10mg of Oxy at night. I'm walking slowly inside the house without any aids. Furniture and cabinets are close enough that I can grab if I loose my balance, but so far, so good! The knee feels much more stable than it did just a couple of weeks ago. I can already tell that the arthritis pain is gone! How wonderful to be able, in the future, to do things that I've been unable to do for over 20 years. I am almost to the point of being glad I had this done! Just need more energy! I know it will come. I just have to be patient!
 
All sounds sooo good! just be careful walking around with no cane or walker. Last thing you need now is to fall, but Im sure you know that

Keep up the happy healing, and buh byeee to arthritis pain!!!
 
Great news about the improving sleep, now the healing will really be happening. I second that about not taking any risks walking around without a cane this soon. Your knee may feel strong, but the muscles which support the knee need a while to strengthen and trust me, you don't want to lose your balance and it's easily done. Just be careful. Here endeth the lesson!
Tabby xx
 
Yes, be careful. Using a cane correctly can help you to begin correcting your gait that's been off for so long.

So happy to hear you're sleeping well now. It usually takes a few weeks, but when it happens...:yes!:!
 
I'm so glad you are sleeping better...it feels great when we have moments of feeling "normal"...I know what you mean about energy...I feel like a light bulb, I'm on one minute and off the next..when I do my exercises it wipes me out, but I know our energy will come back!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies, you are so right. I do not need to get over confident and end up miss-stepping and landing on the floor. It can happen in a blink of an eye. Just look at what happened to @Tabbycat and how much she has suffered since then. Thank you for giving me some very sensible advice! I love you, guys! Thank you for caring.
 
:ok:

I'm so protective over my replacement I make sure the shampoo & conditioner I use in the shower goes no where near my feet-!!

I fell enough pre-op to last me a lifetime- lol!
 
You and me, too, Suzie. I averaged falling about once every couple of months. Falling in your 60s is a whole lot different than falling in your 30s! It would take me ages to get over it. I can't imagine what it would do to me now. We all must be very careful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom