TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

My first step this morning was much less painful! My sleep is getting better, too, probably 3 1/2 hours in a row now. Things are looking up! Not good enough to go to church yet, though. That will probably be at least a couple of more weeks before I'm ready for that. I don't go for my post surgery appointment until the 28th. So that will probably be my first outing. His office is over an hour away, so I know I'll be pooped and sore after getting back home. I'm doing no organized PT, just taking care of the cats, the home and myself. I am seeing improvement all around, especially in my leg's strength. My first week I couldn't even lift my foot, much less, my leg. I doing that fine now! My extension isn't there yet, but is better. Worked on my flex in the shower last night. I have always found it easier to do with the nice hot water beating down on my knee!
 
Your update just made me have a big smile! So very happy for you. Keep the progress train rollin' yay!
 
It sounds like amazing progress...you are 11 days ahead of me so I like knowing what I can look forward to :dancy:
 
Yikes! I'm having my staples out on Tuesday and I am really dreading it. Thankfully, I only have 20 staples to endure!!
 
@Nvstiq8tr, the staple removal wasn't awful. More like a pinch and a sting and today I can stretch my incision area without the painful staples pulling, so it was definitely worth it! And you have 15 less than I did, so it will take a lot less time to do it! You'll do fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine, my backache is better today! I wasn't up as much yesterday, maybe that's why or maybe I'm walking better. I'm concentrating on a heel to toe gait. Is it alright to walk without any aids in the house? I haven't even been outside yet since coming home from the hospital. I want someone with me before I try that and will use my forearm crutches.
 
My OS wanted me to wait until four weeks to walk without any aids, and I didn't have a TKR. When I had my TKR it was longer, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if the time frame has to do with healing or steadiness, or both, but I asked my OS for his guidelines there as he was the one who was in my knee and knew what it looked like and what he did to it. I walked outside to my deck as soon as I felt well enough-being outside is a mood lifter. It's nice to change the scenery and sit out on a deck and relax....until the weather hit 105-then I stayed inside. And, if you have nice weather, it's easy to prop your leg on another chair and relax. I didn't walk across my yard though, until just recently, as it's not smooth and there are hidden bumps in the grass to trap me (I shouldn't call it grass right now-with the drought here in California both our lawns are no longer lawns but a weedy mess....sigh). But I'm pretty steady on my feet now so my cane is out of sight, out of mind!
 
My friend is supposed to be coming over later on and I'm going to get her to go outside with me. I have 5 steps to get down and then back up, so I'll have to time it very carefully and not over do. Our weather here has been crazy. One day in the 90s the next in the 60s with storms in between. Since it's only in the 80s today, I feel it's be a good time to get some of that wonderful, natural vitamin D!
 
Oh Paula that sounds great. Great that you are feeling up to it just over 2 weeks out, I'm so impressed and thrilled for such wonderful progress. And that you have such a nice friend to come help. I.hope you enjoy your little outdoor time. Be careful, but enjoy to the max.
 
Is it alright to walk without any aids in the house?
Just as long as you feel confident and steady. If not, use one crutch at least.
I haven't even been outside yet since coming home from the hospital. I want someone with me before I try that and will use my forearm crutches.
Good plan!
My friend is supposed to be coming over later on and I'm going to get her to go outside with me.
Jolly good! But just remember - 5 minutes is plenty for the first outing.
 
I did it!! I got out of this house. But, wow did that wear me out. I used my walker instead of the crutches just to be more secure. The knee is a sore, but it's time for an Oxy anyway. It worked out really good time wise. And now, I need a nap big time. I just feel so good having reached another bigger baby step this time! Before long there is going to be an adult step towards recovery! God is so good!
 
I'm so happy you were able to get outside today. I hoped you enjoyed your nap. It was well deserved.
 
Paula, I'm so glad you got to enjoy a little sunshine today!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you. I sometimes like to just sit on my porch and absorb a little heat. You are making great progress.
 
Yes, ladies. For me it was a huge step both emotional and physical to get out, if even only for a few minutes. I am a little more sore than normal, but it was worth it!
 
Have any of you used the Cling wrap on a knee this new? The sensitivity is bad when anything touches it and I read that the wrap helps with that.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom