TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Yay for no more staples! I'm sorry they hurt so much, but so glad for you that it's over with.
I have the Polar Iceman clear. It has no timer so stays on until turned off, and holds four frozen water bottles plus water. It stays cold all night long and in the morning is still pretty cold after running all night. The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Iceman3-Digital-Therapy-Universal/dp/B00O13MTL0/?tag=ate362da-20

Mine was covered by insurance, but truthfully, if it hadn't been, I would have bought it myself! Attached is a picture of my machine with 4 water bottles, ready to replace the melted ones with frozen ones.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
    ice machine.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 205
@uva55 what's even worse is trying to read. I will read the same sentence over and over again and still not know what it says! Reading is one of my favorite pastimes, but I have practically given it up totally. So, I'm sitting in front of the TV, not seeing anything half the time. So, I just fall asleep. At least that's productive; that time is spent healing!
 
I'm happy your staples are out. One more step on the road to recovery. Don't worry you will start to be able to concentrate a little more as time goes by. I think my brain had to recover as well as my kned!
 
I just recently started to be able to concentrate enough to read again. If I were still using narcotic pain meds, I'd not be able to yet, but it still took almost a month to get my mind back enough to read even after being off them for quite a while.
 
I am counting my blessings! Only a couple of my 34 hurt.
 
Loaded up my kindle before surgery and I had the same reaction. Couldn't concentrate at all and I am a voracious reader. It took me 4 months before I could and make sense of it. I believe it is due to the pain meds and stress in my case.
 
like you I felt every one of the 36, then 52 from the infection surgery
You had 52 of them this last time! I know you were on pins and needles the whole time. And I thought 35 was bad! All you have to do is look around and you'll find someone else who is worse off that you are. Here I was feeling sorry for myself and look what you've been through! God has a special job for you and I believe one of those jobs is right here on BS giving us so much guidance and inspiration! I'm going to try to sleep on my side again now. Wish me luck! More later!
 
I had a better night last night and actually slept more than 3 hours at a time! I placed a pillow between my knees, laid on my operated side and slept for a while. Boy, did that feel good! But, oh no, today the pain has been worse. I'm certain it came partly from sleeping on my side. And the other cause is having a busy day yesterday. Today has been a lazy one with just laying around and sleeping. This morning I took only 1 5mg of the Oxy along with a 500mg Tylenol. The pain control was not enough, but I did wait until the next 4 hour doze to go back to the 10mg of the Oxy. If that's what it takes, then OK. I'll take them and try again next week to weed off of them by half.

@Josephine, I have a question for you and other experienced TKR patients. Did any of you have a bad backache on the side where the surgery was done? It almost feels like my legs are uneven. Though, I don't know how I'd measure them. It seems like it would be almost impossible to make sure that both legs are the same exact size. I didn't get the backache as long as I was using my walker. Now, walking without any assisting tool, my right lower back gets extremely painful. What can anyone suggest? It would be so disappointing to get my knee fixed only to have my back go out. Also, how soon before I can start using arthritis rub like Tiger Balm or BioFreeze on my leg/knee muscles? They are as bad as the knee ache.
 
Josephine and the other moderators can answer better than me, but I had back and hip pain just from sitting in the same position for too long. Changing positions, walking/standing a bit more helped me. Later thee was also back and hip pain when I began to change my gait.
 
I can tell that I am walking differently. And I'm up and down all day long. Probably the longest I sit/lay is when I nap for an hour or so. The longer I walk or am up on my feet, the worse my back feels. Bummer.
 
I didn't get the backache as long as I was using my walker. Now, walking without any assisting tool, my right lower back gets extremely painful.
Well that says it all! When using a walker, one tends to have poor posture and an equally poor gait. But you shouldn't force yourself to walk without at least one cane.
Also, how soon before I can start using arthritis rub like Tiger Balm or BioFreeze on my leg/knee muscles?
I don't like either of these products. if you want 'coolth' then use ice! Because your pain is surgical pain and not arthritis.

Are you doing any exercising?
 
@Josephine, No exercising, just daily living. Averaging about 2,000 steps a day according to my Fitbit. Do I understand you saying that I should not be walking with a cane or something yet? My leg is much stronger than a week ago. But, if not using it is causing my back problems then I need to use it more. I am icing every time I sit down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let you guys know how much I appreciate BoneSmart, I have donated to them for the last 3 months. I hope everyone is inspired to help them stay online. It would be an awful loss if there was no more BoneSmart for us to go to during these trying times in our lives. It's easy to donate and they even take PayPal. Please consider it.
 
@sistersinhim they took the 52 out over two weeks. Half one Monday and the other half a week later. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.
 
That sounds more bearable that way. Did they do it that way to give you a break, or was it do to the second part not being ready to have the staples removed. I didn't know what to expect with having staples taken out, but they are just as bad, if not worse than having stitches removed. Is is possible that if would have been less painful if they had been removed a few days earlier? I was thinking that 2 weeks was pretty long for them to be in there. And as much as you help people on here, you deserve some praise!
 
Ahh thanks again! They removed half because there were so many and as they removed the staples my incision began seeping pus again. I went off the blood thinners and waited a week, but the incision continued to seep that week and when the rest of the staples came out.

I think two weeks is typical for staple/stitch removal. My TKR was two weeks and the infection was 2 then 3 weeks. I had stitches in my finger once, but the TKR was really my first experience with hospitalization.
 
Oh man, that had to have been so scary. I would have freaked out!! My incision has closed up nicely with only a few areas that bled after the waterproof bandage was put on right after the surgery. I have bruising all around it and it's a little red and warm, but I think it's OK! From what I've read on here, heat is a sign that it's healing. If so, I welcome that heat! After it completely heals I'm going to try the cling wrap on it. Right now, just to brush against it almost puts my teeth on edge! Luckily I'm wrapped in an ice wrap almost all the time I'm sitting and as long as it doesn't move I'm fine with it. More than likely it'll be a long time before I quit using the ice! I find it helps tremendously! I feel sorry for those that can't tolerate it.
 
My staples were in for two weeks and some of them really stung. For my first surgery my awful OS used glue AND staples. It felt like he actually glued some in. I had to let out a few ouches for them.
 
I know what the back pain you describe is like. I've had it for years. Since my RTKR it seems to come and go. I notice when I am standing I tend to put all my weight on my left side. I think this aggravates the back. After I had my RTHR I was sure that one leg was shorter than the other. The OS assured me that the muscles were just tight and all would be well in time and it was. I am hoping once I get this right side working like it should that my back will be happier. I hope you find a solution.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom