TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Ughh so sorry you are having such a rough time. Interesting that getting up and walking around eases pain. As for the sleep, Id say get it whenever and however you can. Hope you start feeling better soon.
 
@Tabbycat you don't think I'm sleeping too much? This is a new thing for me. Of course, I'm sleeping the same way at night, only an hour or so at a time. Maybe this is my body's way of trying to catch up. Do you also have that burning feeling almost all over the whole knee area?
 
@sistersinhim
I'm still falling asleep two or three times in the day and I'll be eight weeks post op next Thursday! (I'm still not sleeping well at night). Make the most of any sleep you can get. As for the burning pain, when you think about what has been done to your knee it's not surprising.
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:
 
It sounds like I'm no different. It helps my anxiety knowing that my aches and pains and sleeping is perfectly normal! I'm ready to nap already again!
 
Hi Paula napping is perfectly normal especially given that night time sleeping is not the way it once was. You are also exerting more energy as you are recovering so napping is good. :sleeep:. When I had my staples removed there was absolutely no pain and it just felt so much better. Good luck
 
The second week post op I actually felt like I could just fall asleep even during eating. I just couldn't stay awake. My OS usually wants staples taken out 12 to 14 days post op and the home PT did it. If the home PT isn't coming out any more just give your OS a call and see what you should do. Your OS office may do it during your first visit.
 
Here my knee is 1 week old! Not huge swelling, but still very tight.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
    cropped RTKR.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 229
That much napping is very normal. I never nap and loved the fact that I could nap during TKR recovery. Everyone teased me about falling asleep in the middle of a conversation. That was probably my fav thing about it, that and my best friend keeping my house spotless!

I slept (or didn't sleep) on my back until week 3 or 4. There was no comfortable position in bed. I think that's why so many sleep in their recliners.
 
I'm almost 4 weeks out and I'm still really tired. And I'm actually sleeping most of the night. So, I'd say you are very normal. If your body says sleep-do it while you can.
 
I am definitely taking advantage of my sleepiness!:sleeep::yawn:
 
One of the articles in the library shows a pic of how much your body''s energy is going to your knee. I refer to it often when I think I'm falling behind. I still have some days when it seems all I do is fall asleep every time I sit down. (Except at night :bored:!)
 
I've looked at the article and can understand why I feel so tired. And to think I have a month of this, at least! Now, to try and get rid of this burning in my leg. The pains are better, but not the burning yet. Each day is a new experience. Some of them good, some of them bad. My leg is stronger than I thought it'd be! One thing I'll have to watch out for is hyper-extension. Even though my extension is only a 10, at times it feels as though the knee wants to go all the way back. It doesn't hurt, it's just something to watch out for.
 
I think the burning is another way that you're feeling pain, so keep taking those pain meds on a regular schedule.

Sleeping is what your body needs right now. TKR surgery is a huge trauma and your body needs all the rest it can get at first. While you're resting, your body is busy repairing and healing itself.
 
Naps are unusual for me but my body is making me take them now.
 
I'm still experiencing the burning too. I'm seeing my OS Wednesday. Hopefully he can give me some ideas.
 
I slept a little better last night. I'm sleeping as much as a couple hours in a row now. I was concerned about some redness around my incision until I compared it to a photograph of it three days ago. It's no worse, maybe even a little less red. Swelling is still quite obvious, 3.5" bigger than it was before the surgery. My next step is to start walking with a forearm crutch and do away with the walker unless I need to 'haul' something such as my Polar ice, or my meals. It makes it so much easier to just place them on the seat part of the walker to move them to where they need to be. My outside goal is to make it back to church this Sunday. I can prop up and ice sitting in a pew with no problem. The worse thing would be to fall asleep on the sermon! I'd never live that one down! Right now I can fall asleep in nothing flat! Quite unusual for me. I'm normally a very light sleeper who finds it hard to get to sleep. Not now!
I was running low on my meds and was worried on how I could get the prescription. My OS's office is over an hour away and I can't expect anyone to go pick it up for me. I decided I'd give his pa a call and see if she'd mail it to me and she said she would! What a blessing this group is. She also said that I can go back on my probiotics! Yippee! My tummy's going to feel better in a few days!
Time to refill the Polar Ice machine. I'll update more later.
 
I've been able to use the forearm crutch some today. It's a whole different way of walking and hurts my back. I'll probably need pt to guide me on a correct gait. I have developed terrible walking habits over the last 20 years or so. But, at least I was walking and not in a wheeled-chair! Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers! They work!
 
Paula, I think it's too early to be going to church. I know you really want to go, but it would be better for you and your knee if you can wait a week or two.

The thing is, that you often find you have to cut short your first outing, as you get so uncomfortable. A church service will last longer than either your leg or your stamina are ready for just yet. Also, it's not just the sitting in church - it's the journey to and from church. All together, it's far too much to expect of your knee less than two weeks after such major surgery.

God will understand. He's with you everywhere.
If you feel the need, perhaps your minister/priest/church group would consider visiting you at home?
 
Celle, you are so right. After just walking around the house this morning for about 1/2 hour, I am in pain and worn out. It was just wishful thinking on my part! I haven't even been out of the house since coming back from the hospital. Shoot, I haven't even been out of my gown yet, so I know I won't make church for a while.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom