MUA No faith

I live outside of Bangor Maine. Finances are tight so a huge trip in our gaunt gas guzzling truck may just be a hard one to afford. I'm getting ready to leave my job cause it's just to much for me right now. I'm going to apply for social security but that can take a long time.

I had a shot a month that before both of my knee replacements a day he's hoping to go in at end of May beginning of June to remove the scar tissue. I have appointment with a muscle specialist who's close that has NO problem going against my surgeon a day he said he'll refer me to a surgeon if I need one after he examines my leg aND ally muscles and tendons for damage my leg.

I'd getting stiffer and stiffer ad the day goes on so safe to say everyone was right it's NOT going to help an artificial joint cause it's not the joint that's a problem. It's something around the joint interfering with it. My point exactly to him as I quoted what everyone was telling me from this board and other articles I found, so I proved I know more than he thinks about my course of treatment ! And I told him I'd try his idea but if it didn't work he was DOING it MY WAY! :)
 
I feel it's scar tissue holding me back he's tried twice to break it up with NO relief if anything it made it worse. I feel he needs to remove the scar tissue so that I can get my knee back.

I've got good quality compression to wear on my knee after he removes it. He never told me to use compression that's what I've learned with all my investigating into this and I've got a good quality tens device also. I tried using it to break up tissue before but didn't realize compression is huge when trying to keep scar tissue from coming back.

I also want him to test for metal allergies before he does anything more because that could be another reason why my swelling can't be controlled and I'm having constant pain. I had no idea metal allergy could affect my joint. My primary ordered the metal allergy blood test it's a 3 month wait for allergy specialist! And I DO NOT want to wait that long to hear back
 
Compression stockings don't prevent adhesions. They used to be used to help prevent blood clots and diminish swelling. Many OSs don't use them anymore, realizing that activity is what keeps the clots away. You are swollen. That's hindering your bend, not scar tissue.

You have already had 2 MUAs that did you more harm than good. I think you should get a blood allergy test ASAP! And don't let that OS touch your knee again. He has already had all these chances and has done nothing to help you. Why let him 'try' again. You need someone that specializes in problem knees.

We all care about what you are going through and will do the best we can to be a support to you.
 
he swore it would help with softening tissues and take down swelling to make it easier for me to bend. So I figured I gotta at least try it to say that I'm RIGHT about scar tissue over growth and NOT the swelling is stopping me in my tracks
Actually, no it won't do that. It won't 'soften' tissues and though it might take down some swelling. And yes it IS swelling that's your problem. Most definitely. Swelling can be very, very hard but it shouldn't be mistaken for 'scar' tissue.
I feel it's scar tissue holding me back he's tried twice to break it up with NO relief if anything it made it worse.
Well there you are - that says it all. MUAs will worsen swelling, in spades!
 
Update: I think I'm closer to an answer I have allergy testing coming next week the Dr. thinks I have allergy to the cement used in my operation... hope this explains everything !
 
@Wavin2Ya
This information about allergy testing might help you. You do need to have the blood test, as the skin tests are not accurate enough.

If you are having problems with an already implanted device
which you think may be related to allergy, steps are:
1. find out what kind of prosthesis you have and its make up
2. either you or your surgeon need to contact the Metal Allergy Testing Laboratory. which is in Chicago
3. a blood sample has to be mailed to them overnight mail.

Also, this thread from someone who had her bone cement tested may help:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/allergy-testing-forum-discussion.22381/
 
My insurance wouldn't pay for the kit so my doctor called a day told me he'd pick.up the bill yesterday...it's the blood draw one not the patch one he told me the same thing. I know I have metal sensitivity cause I'm allergic to jewelry even surgical steel..I hope this is the answers we've been searching for!
The link of the bone cement testing is the exact company my surgeon is using for my testing!
 
I'm glad to hear that your surgeon is on the ball about allergy testing.

Unfortunately, I've heard before that insurance won't pay for the blood testing. It's worth having it done, though, because it is so much more accurate.
 
Celle said:
Unfortunately, I've heard before that insurance won't pay for the blood testing. It's worth having it done, though, because it is so much more accurate.
My surgeon paid for my test it'll be here next week!!!! I was brought to tears by his generous contribution to getting me back to me!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful doctor you have! You are blessed!
 
That’s awesome your doctor is paying for it for you!

I have not been happy with my surgeon post surgery but he was good to me before surgery.

We decided to try a gel shot first but since I had not met my deductible the shot was going to cost me almost $700. He had his assistant call several places until she was able to get a sample. So all I had to pay was the office visit fee. I was very thankful. (and no, the shot did not work for me at all.)
 
Last edited:
Wavin2ya,
You are fortunate to have a generous surgeon who is picking up the cost of your allergy testing. The test will bring you closer to some answers to all of your challenges.
 
I'm glad to see that you are getting the tests done. I'd suggest you hold off on any surgery for a while. The procedure to remove scar tissue correctly can be quite complex and really should be done by someone who has a lot of experience with it. There are actually specialists in this. But it is highly likely that is not your problem, so it might be a total waste of time. Best to give yourself some time (even though I know it must seem like you've been dealing with this for ages!)
 
Thanks everyone my surgeon is a very caring man and I just need to be patient with him he hasn't had many allergy patients in his 17 year's of being a surgeon and it's only been to metals NOT cement he wants to do a medical write up for future people and hopefully he says it will help people like me get relief , he said he's going to start asking patients about metal allergies and try to advocate to get tests done for everyone before surgeries ! That is IF I am allergic I have noticed in last few days my left knee is starting with the same symptoms as my right did at about the same recovery time frame 6 months post op so I feel we're finally barking up the right tree!
 
Gosh what a palaver around payment. It really makes me even more grateful for the good old NHS!
 
That's a nice thing your doctor did. I am no expert, but I've always thought that more surgery can cause more scar tissue? I *hope* it's an allergy, as weird as that is to say, and hopefully the situation can be rectified for you.

Jen
 
Oh yes. Just knowing would help. It might then lead to some more positive action. I really hope it helps
 
Got allergy tests back. Only allergic to nickel he says none in my implant.. Still stiff and swollen in both knees.. Still having weird swelling off and on with awful leg cramps and inner pain that can't even be described.

I'm so depressed. I'm over the constant tests something is wrong with my implants and I can't afford to keep chasing it. I guess I gave up my life for this horrible decision :(
 
Hello there. Here's your old thread. I'll have someone merge them for you.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/no-faith.47031/

Can you look up your implant and be sure there's no nickle in it. It's my understanding that most of them contain nickle to some degree. It would be good for you to know just what it is made of.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom