BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] No faith

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Wavin2Ya, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

United States United States
    I have chronic swelling and pain I've had a LOT of tests bit nothing than a recent xray which Dr says is fine but he did point out a void he saw between glued area and my tibia a month ago but he says bone scan was fine but from what I saw, my knees were glowing like Christmas tree.

I can't do stairs or we've ground. I can't drive my car cause it's to low to get into. I can't stand long cause my leg doesn't lock so that I'm comfortable I limp so bad it's now affecting my back.

I'm beyond frustrated and he thinks steroids are the answer. NOT me cause they affect my diverticulitis and to me it's masking the real issue.

My leg had been worse since second manipulation in December one month before my one year TKR anniversary. I think he damaged it more but no Dr here will go against another surgeon's work.

ANY ideas what I should suggest to him? I want him to scope my knee cause I'm very sure it's severe so scar tissue but he won't listen

Help

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to Bonesmart, @Wavin2Ya. First off, please give us the dates and knee of your tkr and mua. We need to know these so we can better advise you. In the meantime, I'll leave you our recovery articles to help you understand your knee's reaction a little better.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Wavin2Ya - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of your knee replacement and the manipulation (MUA), so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I'm sorry you're still having trouble with your knee.
    I think it could be a good idea to look for a second opinion, from a surgeon who specializes in problem knees and who is not connected in any way, either professional or social, with your current surgeon.
    That way, you will get an opinion that isn't influenced by your current surgeon's opinion.

The surgeons who deal with problem knees see them every working day and they can often spot a problem and a solution that eludes the original surgeon.
    You may have to go out of town to get this second opinion.

That void sounds suspicious to me. It could mean that the bond between your bone and the tibial implant has failed.
    Do you have a copy of that X-Ray that you could post, for @Josephine to look at? She pretty experienced at reading X-Rays.
    A few tips on posting xrays

4. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

my first knee was done January 24th 2017 manipulation #1 July 2017 #2 December 15th 2017. knee # 2 was done October 17th 2017.

No copy of xray. I'll try to get it.

He even said he thought cement was failing but after the bone scan he says no now. He called me about 20 minutes ago and wants to do a cortisone shot in knee. I know how they mask the true problem. I'm afraid this is a way for him to consider me healed.

I have a call in to a very good surgical center that only does knee work so hoping to get into their office soon. Even if shot works for pain it isn't going to make it so I can lift my right leg further than 6 inches off the floor.

I believe there is some muscle damage from the second manipulation. The second manipulation was AWFUL I was is horrible pain for a week after and my leg hasn't been right basically since!

The chronic swelling makes it hard to bend my leg also. A day nothing takes that away.

I'd post a picture but don't know how to

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can you explain what "AR" is? I am unfamiliar with that abbreviation.
    If you're talking about within your district, you'd be right. They would all be golfing buddies and won't speak out against one another. So it means you have to find a practice which is totally unconnected with the one you're at presently. Not all doctors are like that.
    Oh it's easy peasy on this forum! Have a look at this Uploading a Picture in a Post

6. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

I have metal allergies I see my GP Friday what tests should I ask her to do so I can present them to my ortho?
    Also AR was my phone changing scar tissue sorry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

Sorry, my phone corrected scar tissue

8. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Wavin2Ya
    I've made a signature for you, but it would makes things clearer if you tell us which knee was replaced first and which was done second.

Is it the first knee that is giving you all the trouble? And how is your second, newer knee getting on?

9. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

Autocorrect, can’t live with it, can’t live without it!

I’m sorry you are having such a difficult time. I hope you are able to find the answers you need. It’s very frustrating when our body tells us something and our doctor doesn’t listen to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

right was first and left second
    thanks for the signature

• Like Like x 1
  11. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

How is your left knee getting on? Don't be tempted to allow it to have an MUA, will you?

12. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

NO WAY he isn't touching it I'm doing way better without any interventions I can't believe I let him bend my leg twice I know darn well he damaged something and it so angering seeing all the new patients he has but he can't fix my leg first instead he wants to put a blind fold on it with a cortisone shot

13. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    It's unusual to have a cortisone shot after a knee replacement and I don't think it will do much good.
    In any case, having an injection into your knee could risk introducing infection.

14. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

I thought so too and I was researching and couldn't find anything really about cortisone AFTER knee replacement...only before...pain and swelling = inflammation from everything I was taught and inflammation means something is wrong somewhere !

15. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm also questioning the cortisone shot in the knee. I suppose it could settle down an inflamed bursa or tendon, but... like you said: pain + swelling = inflammation, and in new knees it's the best course to try to get that inflammation to settle down and eventually go away. The reason inflammation couldn't go away in arthritic knees was the arthritis and bone spurs, etc.. But in a new knee inflammation will usually go away with time, ice, elevation, and resting (and not too much exercise). I'm glad you're being sensible!

You said something brilliant with "he wants to put a blindfold on it with a cortisone shot."

I hope you get to see someone at that orthopedic center so that they can give your knee the attention it deserves. And let me say about your scar: I wish mine looked that good! :yes:

16. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

I was so worried about my scars bUT both came out really well I used coconut oil on my whole leg while in shower with the first but second one I didn't do it a day it's much darker but looks better than so many people I've met. My feelings is that a new knee SHOULDN'T have inflammation like you said cause that's WHY I had it replaced. I still haven't gotten the call from other orthopedic office on my 3rd opinion I did have a second opinion last fall before my left knee was done only thing other orthopedic said was he wouldn't have put that large of a prosthetic in place,he said said he wasn't a fan of MRIs being used to create a new knee for patients because of many underlying issues that were there before that created the issues which caused my knee to break down. It sorta makes since but I'm not sure what brand knee my surgeon put in he never offered that information.

17. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

This is information you should know. (Many people never ask, so you're far from alone.) Ask your surgeon directly and make sure he tells you. It's your medical information and you have a right to it.

One good reason to know what brand of implant you have is that sometimes implants have history of problems. Mine, for example: the DePuy Attune has a known issue of the tibial plate sometimes not bonding with the cement and loosening. I plan to ask my OS about this at my appointment next month. It's something to keep an eye on. Knowing I have this brand of implant allows me to be alert to potential issues.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

I didn’t know what brand my implant was until I read my operative report recently. I enjoyed reading that report and even understood a fair amount!

I just asked for a copy of mine and they gave it to me, no questions asked.

Also at my one year check up I asked for a copy of my MRI report and all the X-rays my surgeon took, in case I ever need them. Again, they gave them to me, no questions asked.

19. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

that's interesting cause I had an xray a month ago and it showed what orthopedic Said was a void starting between tibia and implant but supposedly the bone scan didn't show it was loose but my question is is it possible it's not loose yet but will eventually? I plan on asking orthopedic Monday for all my knee implant information because I've been seeing many stories about certain ones having certain issues.
    it seems like I have to suggest to surgeon what tests next I live in rural Maine only a couple surgeons here a day they ALL know each other :(

20. Wavin2Ya

Wavin2Ya junior member

I'll be sure to ask for ALL my information I like reading that stuff too I learned a lot from a recent CT scan I had done when my gallbladder was going bad..some things I'd rather not know but now I have a direction for some other health issues I'm having. I have DDD with bulging, Diverticulitis and a huge cyst on an ovary...so it's nice to get the records I've figured out cause they ONLY care about what they are looking for and nothing else!