MUA No faith

I have another question. .my ROM is maybe 95 and really hasn't progressed past that even after manipulation 2 times.
I think it's bad scar tissue cause my swelling hasn't really gotten better in a year I use compression and as soon as it comes off it blows up like a balloon
I don't think I'm suppose to stay swollen for a year. I only work 3 day's a week I don't over do it at home either I rest when my legs feel weak but the ROM really is causing many problems and that doesn't have anything to do with my inflammation issue does it?
 
It is my understanding that scar tissue does not cause swelling, inflammation does. Your knee is terribly unhappy about something. You definitely need to see someone way away from your current OS. He sounds like he's written you off. You should not be swelling this much. One thing to keep in mind is that each one of your MUAs set your recovery way back, so far it's almost to the beginning. Your poor right knee has been through so much.
 
I found this article. After reading this I don't feel I'll allow any cortisone in my knee cause we've ruled out infection and implant failure so according to this Dr it's possibly the technology he used or an interface issue any answers on these ideas from what I've explained
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No faith
    Screenshot_2018-04-17-13-55-09.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 277
That article pretty much confirms what I said, in Post #13.
 
That article pretty much confirms what I said, in Post #13.
Exactly what I was thinking I found a new orthopedic office about 3 hours south of me but they can't see me till June :(
 
Question for anyone who might know..
I'm2 days off prednisone and I'm in WORSE pain than I was when it started is that normal? All my leg did was throb and Crack at my EVERY move I made through the night I didn't get much sleep...I have a slipped disk cause of my gait and I can barely stand up straight it wasn't that bad before and like I said my knee hurts MORE than before my orthopedic decided I needed a regime of oral.steroids
Any idea's cause I go see him Monday and he's all about steroid use shots and oral!!
 
I've been researching a day my Dr. prescribed 50mg for 7 day's with no weaning off...I was told by a friend that's an INSANE amount she says he highest dose she ever had was 20 max going down to nothing in that 7 day's for withdrawal. .. if this is true I'll be calling out orthopedic on Monday on it!!!!
 
Taken from "Predisone withdrawal" Mayo Clinic

If you abruptly stop taking prednisone or taper off too quickly, you might experience prednisone withdrawal symptoms:
  • Severe fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Body aches
  • Joint pain
  • Nausea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lightheadedness
Prednisone is similar to cortisol, a hormone naturally made by your adrenal glands. If you take prednisone for more than a few weeks, your adrenal glands decrease cortisol production. A gradual reduction in prednisone dosage gives your adrenal glands time to resume their normal function.

The amount of time it takes to taper off prednisone depends on the disease being treated, the dose and duration of use, and other medical considerations. A full recovery can take anywhere from a week to several months. Contact your doctor if you experience prednisone withdrawal symptoms as you are tapering off the drug.
 
The place where I have my thumb HURTS bad like and 8 when I have my leg up on couch but if I have it on the floor the pain isn't as bad maybe a 3 you can see my leg is pretty swollen any ideas what that may be? I have pictures to show orthopedic on Monday but it'll be hard to recreate the position I put my leg in at home that causes me HORRENDOUS pain
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No faith
    20180419_195511.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 331
  • [Bonesmart.org] No faith
    20180419_195552.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 348
So my orthopedic just did a cortisone injection in right stiff knee that's having almost constant pain...I HOPE I didn't make a mistake and he wants me taking more prednisone...I feel like it's a band-aid fix on his part cause of course it'll help with pain he INSISTS it will help with scar tissue he feels encroaching on my joint. ANYONE think I'm thinking right? I have been reading the cortisone opens me up for infection in the joint anyone agree or know if this is true and in 6 weeks he's going to open me back.up to see if he can figure out WHY it's stiff and hurts after 14 month's
I'm so frustrated right now can't see new Dr till May 16th can't wait to get another opinion on this whole dilemma!
 
@Wavin2Ya
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I'm sorry you allowed your surgeon to do that Cortisone injection. I guess he talked you into it, because you previously said you weren't going to allow it. :console2:(You see the benefit of keeping all your recovery history in one thread?)

However, the injection's done now. While there's a slight chanced that it might have introduced some infection, that risk is very small and - you never know! - there's also a slight possibility that the injection might do some good.

May 16th isn't very far away now, so please don't let your current surgeon do anything more to your knee until you have had that second opinion.
 
I'm sorry you allowed your surgeon to do that Cortisone injection. I guess he talked you into it, because you previously said you weren't going to allow it. :console2:(You see the benefit of keeping all your recovery history in one thread?)

However, the injection's done now. While there's a slight chanced that it might have introduced some infection, that risk is very small and - you never know! - there's also a slight possibility that the injection might do some good.

May 16th isn't very far away now, so please don't let your current surgeon do anything more to your knee until you have had that second opinion.
I know I didn't want to but in order to have him open up my knee and clean out the scar tissue I had to jump.through one more hoop...it's all because of insurance it's so frustrating...sorry I reposted something I was sure :(
 
I'm going to say it again - don't let your current surgeon do anything more to your knee until you have had a second opinion. That means not letting him cut it open. He thinks you have scar tissue, but he's really not sure.

I sounds to me as if your insurance company is not aware that you have already had a knee replacement. Requiring injections before surgery is what they commonly do before approving a TKR.
Can I suggest you phone them, to find out exactly why they are demanding this treatment? I have never heard of Cortisone being given post-op for supposed adhesions.

In all this, do remember that this is your knee and you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to it. You don't have to have anything done unless you want it.
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
I had many shots 17 in 18 MO the in both knees prior to TKR but I had a different insurance at the time. My Dr swears the shot will help with scar tissue, he hasn't tested me for metal allergy yet either I'm going to ask him about that because I can't even wear surgical grade steel earrings etc.

And in the summer sometimes my pant buttons bother me too. So would Dr if the constant effusion is being caused by all that. My bone scan showed what he called NORMAL uptake at my recovery stage. I've been told large amounts of uptake show an issue no matter where you are in recovery.

All this is driving me nuts. I have to go down to 2 days a week at work cause that's the only thing going that makes pain bareable. I can't put any downward pressure in my right knee nor can I lift it more than 6 maybe 8 inches off the floor without help.

All the problems started after seeing on manipulation that was one more thing from a year anniversary of my right knee. I haven't been able to lift my leg since and my swelling NEVER went away my knee stays consistently swollen. It measures anywhere between 20¼ -21½ depending on what I do in a day. This hasn't changed much after replacement.

It's very hard in my area to find a GOOD surgeon who knows about revision surgery. My surgeon has been consulting with another older surgeon in his office for ideas. My surgeon and PA really got down bending a poking my knee yesterday and he was telling her he felt something on the edge of my knee cap and when he moves it he feels it bumping something (his words).

The shot didn't help my massive quad pain and weakness at all. When he manipulated it the first time he said he felt major scar tissue breaking up he said it sounds like popping wine corked in OR. This all makes be believe that 90 ROM I have is why I hit the brick wall. EVERY time since my replacement only gotten to 118 EVER and that's with aggressive PT for 6 weeks.

I fought swelling and pain BAD with that to the point I stopped going. I use the pool but STILL can't get past 90. FRUSTRATING is all I can say my left knee with OUR PT done in October NO PT. I have 90 now and I don't push it. I let life do the work for my my left leg is 6 times stronger than my right has EVER been since this.

I can't wait to go to muscle specialist. I think the surgeon also damaged my quad when he manipulated the second time. He's going to ultrasound it and see if he can find any issues. That will not come soon enough!

Thanks for the replies. This site helps me get out my frustrations and even gives ideas to run by your surgeon. I told him about all the injection concerns but he swore it would help with softening tissues and take down swelling to make it easier for me to bend. So I figured I gotta at least try it to say that I'm RIGHT about scar tissue over growth and NOT the swelling is stopping me in my tracks

I'll keep you informed
Thanks all
 
It's very hard in my area to find a GOOD surgeon who knows about revision surgery my surgeon has been consultanting with another older surgeon in his office for idea's.
It's not at all unusual to have to go out of your area to get an unbiased second opinion. You need a surgeon who has no connection at all, either professional or social, with your current surgeon.
 
Well, you've had the shot now, so must wait it out to see what comes of that. You should still seek out a revision surgeon. Even if your area has few surgeons, you can (and really should) travel to visit a surgeon in another city or even state. All the surgeons in your area likely know each other, socialize and deal with each other professionally, and you run the risk they will also cover for each other. So you really do need to get an opinion from someone unconnected.

You are only 48. You have a long time to live with this knee. You deserve the best knee you can get, and the best medical professionals to get you there.
 
If you are willing to travel you should be able to find a surgeon specializing in revisions and/or complex joint reconstruction within a days drive. @Jamie may be able to help you find a surgeon.
Let us know where you are in Maine for a search.
You can also use the find a surgeon link at the top of the page, check out the web sites for a surgeon and their specialties. You can also call the offices directly and ask the receptionist.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom