Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Pain one year post op RTKR?

I have the weirdest feeling. I wonder if anyone else has felt it?

I have this weird feeling when I walk like my knee cap is jammed. I don't know how else to explain it.
My PT wants me to concentrate on a heel -toe step and straightening my leg when I walk. I feel like it's straight, but don't feel like I get much movement when I walk because of the jammed feeling.

Any clue what the jammed feeling is or how to help?
 
What types of exercises have you been doing?
 
Since PT on Friday, I really haven't done anything. Walking around the house when necessary, occasional bending as it feels good and straightening occasionally, but nothing to the point of pain.
 
There are all kinds of aches and pains that came up with my TKR. Ice and rest it and see how it feels tomorrow. Chances are it's just one of those weird feeling recovery things.
 
Thanks @KarriB thats what I've been doing. I"ll just keep it up. At almost 4 weeks I thought I would be doing better. I guess overdoing it when hosting the inlaws really set me back.
 
I guess overdoing it when hosting the inlaws really set me back.
I'm sure doing that was too much for a new knee. Rest well now, to make up for it.
 
I didn't really cook. I had made everything and frozen it before surgery except the Honey Baked Ham which came fully cooked. My husband did most of the work, but I did help.

I sat in the recliner and iced a lot, but still did way more than I should have. It was a lovely day though.

My other difficulty is that when a called for a new pain med subscription, before the holiday weekend, they wrote it for oxycodone instead of dilaudid. My husband didn't look at the script when he picked it up. We didn't realize it until after the OS office was closed.

My doc had changed me to dilaudid because the oxycodone didn't work. It's working a little better now, but not as well as the Dilaudid. I will call tomorrow to try to straighten it out.

I''m starting to worry they are going to say I shouldn't need such heavy duty meds and will cut me off.
 
I don't know much about dilaudid. I took oxycodone and then cut the pills in half when I didn't need as much, around week 4. I would ask why he's switching you if the dilaudid was working.
 
Thanks @KarriB i have a feeling it was just a mistake. He was away and another doc signed it so maybe he just wrote it for what is their usual protocol. Either way, Im not as happy with my surgeon and his support staff this time around.

Been up and down all night. I know that's usual, but I usually get a good 5 hour or so stretch at night and then I'm up awhile and then I doze again. Tonight is just miserable. I have to say, if I know what recovery would be like before the surgery, I doubt I would have gone through with it. I better be capable of amazing activity levels this summer to make it worth it.
 
Your body has been through 2 major surgeries in the past 3 months. No wonder you're up and down all night. It was months before I could sleep well. And still, I'll have some bad nights. It will get better. If I were you, I'd call my PA as soon as possible to get your pain meds straightened out. What works for one might not work for another. Explain this to him. Try to do nothing but nap when you need to. Your body needs to recoup, not to mention your knees need to heal.
 
Carol Anne, you are so early in this recovery, not even a month yet. In another month you'll feel a difference and a month after that as well. It's a long recovery, but I was glad I had done it by month 4-5 and I had some major complications. It'll happen, but patience is the key and somedays it's hard to come by.
 
Thank you @sistersinhim you are right it was 2 major surgeries. I need to remember that. The hip was so easy I guess I got cocky. The woman in charge of refills realized the mistake and called me today, but since I filled the oxy prescription, she wouldn't write me for dilaudid until this runs out. In a day or two I will call her back. I will be calling the office manager or the nurse manager for the office to let them know my frustrations this time around.

Thank you @KarriB you are such an amazing support. We are all lucky to have you here at bonesmart. Thanks for the reminder that its early days. The hip recovery is so much faster. I think I knew that, but until living it myself, I didn't really "get it". Less than a month after my hip surgery I spent an afternoon running errands prepping for my youngest's birthday party. It wore me out and I did nothing but sleep, but I was able to do it. I wouldn't even think of that now.

I'm sorry for whining last night. I usually do better with the sleepless nights, but I was frustrated because I knew it didn't have to be that way if it weren't for the medications screw up. Oh well. Now I know. Tomorrow I have nothing scheduled. No PT, nothing, so I will likely spend most of it in bed. So if I can't sleep tonight, no biggie.
 
We are here for you and if you need to whine, please do. Everyone of us have had our pity parties more than once, that's for sure! We care and have shoulders for everyone who needs them! Can you double your Oxy? I was given a prescription for 5mg but could take 2 at one time if I needed to. This might help you.
 
Thank you for such kind words, Carol Anne. This is the soft place to fall, we all have been there and have first hand experience in feeling a bit down or out. Hope you have a decent night's sleep. :)
 
And here I am again tossing and whimpering. Calling tomorrow and insisting on a dilaudid script. This is ridiculous. 10 mg of oxy codone every four hours and at the 3 hour make the pain sets in and I toss and whimper until its time to take more. If I had taken the max dose like this since my husband picked them up, I would be nearly out, so I don't see why there should be a problem.

Also on the fence about PT. The first half really helped. She knew what I meant when I told her my knee cap felt jammed and said this happens to others too, they just call it different things. So, we started the session with her massaging it which really helped. Then I spent time on the nu step which I enjoyed. None of the other exercises hurt as I was doing them, but boy have I been in pain since and the jammed feeling that she worked out was back in force by the time I got home. I'm going to have to figure out if I can work with her to do more gentle stuff and let me go at a slower pace or if I need to switch to another PT, or maybe I just need to be done. Anyway, there is you nightly whine. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have the dilaudid again and will be snoozing away at this time.
 
You are in pain after having pt and/or doing exercises. There seems to be a connection there. I am one of many that never took pt after 11 knee surgeries. What I did was just live my life and use my knee. It rehabs itself without the awful pain of pt and exercises. If you can find time, read my complete thread and others that never took pt. You will find out that we recovered just as quickly, if not quicker than those who did pt and exercises. Of course, I did the heel pumps right after surgery to keep the chance of blood clots down. But, once up and moving more, I cut those out. When I used my knee, I didn't hurt myself, just used it. Each week I could do a little bit more. Seeing improvement without awful pain is always better. If you have any questions, please ask any of us.
 
Poor @OUCH! - I'm not a knee candidate (not so far anyway) but it does sound like the pain relates to PT activity. IF you're having to dose up to kill the pain after PT it really does sound like you're caught both ways. Pain plus having to take more meds is bound to get you down, which can't be good. Maybe it is worth taking @sistersinhim's advice as she has trodden the same route and found things went well despite no PT? :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom