TKR New Pain one year post op RTKR?

I am glad you are staying the extra night. You have been through a lot. I am sure they will go over your dosage tomorrow. The pharmacy delivered all of mine bedside before discharge. See if they have that service. Last year, my husband ran to the pharmacy on the first floor. It is nice to have all meds and understand the routine before you go home. All of my meds were exactly the same as were prescribed 15 months before for the first hip. Jersey Strong @OUCH!
 
Hi @OUCH! carol Anne welcome to the other side good for you staying another night it's important to get the pain meds under control. My night nurse didn't give me my 2am dose and I played catch up the whole of yesterday. I went home yesterday it's so good to be home. Had a disturbed night as my ice machine decided to break down. I managed to get a new one today aha the relief is fantastic. Hang in there we can do this together. :friends:
I hope you have a good night.
Btw the knee buckling is while the femoral block is still working that's why you have a brace on. Once the block wears off you will be fine. :)
 
Hi @ouch- great to get your first bit of news! Glad they have gotten you up and walking already. While I'm sure it's tempting to go home, pain control is priority right now. I'm glad you're staying one extra night to get the pain meds sorted. And take the pain meds on schedule / no sense forgetting a dose and then being in worse pain.

Happy to hear that Hazel is coming through for you when you need her too!

Try to rest tonight and enjoy the nurses taking care of you while you can. Keep us posted. I'm sending you healing vibes.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well hit a bit of a glitch yesterday. My blood pressure dropped really low. It always does that overnight, but it didn't seem to come back up. One reading yesterday morning sitting in the chair was 78/30. My blood count had also fallen. I just generally felt lousy which was likely the bp. They have been pumping me full of fluids which has helped. Even overnight with dilaudid on board it was 90/46. I got up and walked to the bathroom and it came up, so Im happy.

What did not make me happy yesterday was that because my bp was so low they wouldn't let me have any narcotics. All I got for pain was tylenol and toradol every 6 hours. It was pretty awful. It didn't help that the PT was kind of a jerk. I didn't even know why I needed PT I was told I had been cleared. He said no. So I walked down the hall again and proved to him that I could walk the stairs again and then bac to my room to whimper in misery. I was told I could have ice, but no one ever brought it and I was stupidly not up to advocating for myself.

Oh well. I did get 1/2 doses of oxycodone over night and got dilaudid around 4 am. I just hope they send me home on a full dose. If they don't I will complain.

I will be so happy to get home to my boys and my dogs!
 
That is terrible. I was worried when you didn' t write yesterday.
Take care, you will be home snuggled in your bed soon.
 
I'm glad you're feeling better. Hoping you get home soon.
 
Thanks @KarriB And thanks @Medfordart and I guess my not posting shows how lousy I was feeling. I kept thinking I should post, but just didn't feel up to it. As prolifically as I posted about my hip, I guess that was the sign that the doc was right in keeping me. My BP has come up some, but still not great. My blood count (hemoglobin?) dropped again. Doc had me go for a walk. I did get light headed and a little short of breath. So, I will get a transfusion today before I go home. I'm glad because I won't have IV fluids around the clock which seems to be what helped the bp raise. I also got 5mg of oxy a little bit ago. I probably could have used 10, but I don't want me bp to dip. Today's nurse is on the ball. She brought me ice packs without my having to ask. I think they are helping too.

As always, thanks for all the support.
 
I hope the blood transfusion goes well. It should certainly help with your blood count.

Don't go home until your blood pressure and your pain medication regime are both sorted out.

And, do remember that you can refuse PT if you aren't feeling up to it.
 
Hope you begin to feel a bit better soon.
 
Hopefully they'll let you ice as much as you want. Maybe tomorrow?
 
I'm home! Thank goodness!
My hemoglobin continued to drop with this mornings draw, so they gave me a transfusion before they would let me leave.
My pain is not well controlled, but that is partly because of the difficulty I have with the pain chart. Just read the article in the library about the pain chart and I was not accurate at all in what I told them. I have always hated the pain chart but now if I ever need it again, I will know how to use it to get them to listen to what I need. They sent me home with a script for only 5mg of oxycodone every 4 hours. After my hip, the first script was for 10mg every 4 hours. This is definitely more painful. I will call on Monday and straighten it out.

A friend brought over an ice machine, but hubby hasn't set it up. He just put it in my recovery room. I'm going to have to really be a nag because I need it. He did find a way for me to elevate though, so thats good.
Hope everyone else is doing well.
 
Glad you got home! Definitely call the OS on Monday about pain meds. My hospital doc wrote a script of 15mg oxycodone upon my release. It was too much. So after talking to my OS he said to cut them in half and see what that does for my pain. It was just right. I believe my first week in TCU I was taking 10mg of oxy.
 
Thanks @KarriB I think 10mg oxy is just right for the first week or two. Glad to say I did ok overnight. Luckily hubby slept in couch in the next room so he was able to help me in the night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the ice machine set up yet? That thing is a must have! Ice is a miracle worker for pain reduction. I still ice a few times a week after I've done too much.
 
@sistersinhim yep, the ice machine is set up. Last night it seemed to really help, but today Im still trying to get it right so that it helps without being to cold for too long. I'm experimenting with different things to put between my skin and the pad. I'll figure it out. Right now I've got my "toes above nose".

I'm taking 10 of oxy every 4 hours and 1000mg tylenol every 6 hours, but that last hour of the oxy is a killer.
 
That ice machine will help you a lot. I was able to use just a tea towel between the pad and my knee. And as long as I was sitting I was icing. This went on for probably 3 to 4 months! I really believe the ice helped to keep the swelling and inflammation down, not to mention the pain. You'll grow to love it!
 
Hi @FlaGranny Where in Florida? We are cold right now! @OUCH! glad to see you are home! The ice machine must be awesome. I keep Ice on constantly. I tried to go without last night, but it feels so much better with the ice. No swelling.
 
So glad to see that you're home and using the ice machine! Rest, ice, and stay on top of the pain


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Technical difficulties - I wasn't finished with my reply but it posted any way, just wanted to add that Ive been thinking about you and am sending healing vibes your way!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom