TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

Ok... Sounds busy... Try to factor in rest time!! Have fun and try to work within your limitations.
 
That is a wonderful report. Let folks wait on you in that lounge chair. How often do you have such a good excuse to let the party come to you? Have a great time!
 
Phew!!!! The busy part of the weekend is over. It was a gorgeous day for a picnic and all went well. Only thing was that of course I was on my feet for waaaay to long and my knee was more swollen by the end of the night. I was really happy when everyone left and so glad that they helped me clean up before they left. So today will be a bonesmart day for the most part. I already feel better this morning.
 
4 week update....Well, this has definitely been an experience. Although in knew in my HEAD that this was a long process, by week 2 I was like 'ok it's been 2 weeks, enough is enough I'd like to get back to my life' lol. Note to self when doing this again in January, pack PATIENCE in overnight bag and carry it throughout this journey. I feel like I am doing well. I am walking independently but still take a cane when out of the home just as a safety measure. I am back to doing most things in my home like cooking, vacuuming, sweeping, dishes, folding laundry as well as grocery shopping, mostly out of necessity and not by choice. Activites such as grocery shopping exhaust me and make my knee sore, ice and elevation for 45 minutes after coming home pretty much takes care of that. I am driving short distances. My endurance however still stinks and I know it will take awhile to get back to feeling normal, I'm ok with that. I do still have some pain and take Vicodin 3-4 times daily, more often at night. I've just started PT twice weekly, I'm not all that consistent with doing exercises as directed because I do so many other things around the house but I do ride my recumbent bike daily and try to get a walk in. This is an emotional journey, I've had a few meltdowns and shed my share of tears but overall try to keep a positive attitude. I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through this first month without my bonesmart circle of friends, people I have never met but who understand what I am going through better than anyone else...thanks to all :). Looking forward to what the next 4 weeks brings....
 
With everything you're doing already, do not worry about doing home PT exercises.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks for your 4 week report, Bridget. I'm coming up to 7 weeks, and I still don't do as much in a day or a week as you do. I know everyone's recovery is different, and we're not supposed to compare ourselves to each other, but wow, you sure are doing a lot of housework! Did you see this article? https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/ Please take good care of your new knee, and the rest of your body, too!
 
@SarahJane I really wish I didn't have to do so much but after about 5 days of pampering I was pretty much on my own. Don't get me wrong, I love my guys to pieces and they're great but I also know their limitations. I have spoiled them lol. I don't carry laundry baskets or do the heavy lifting or heavy housework, just the basics to keep up. My son does the lawncare. Bottom line is if my knee couldn't handle it, I wouldn't do what I do and my guys would HAVE to step up. I look at my half finished dining room which needs sanding and painting and know I can't do THAT lol.
 
As @PolarBear60 said, you don't really need to do home PT as well as your usual daily activities. I pretty much stopped doing mine a couple of weeks ago and haven't seen anything that convinces me I need to keep doing them. Just going up and down stairs, walking around the house, bending and stretching, sitting and standing is a good workout for you and your knee! I think you're doing great.
 
You are doing soooo well! And I totally understand the ups and downs. Luckily I have a great support system and they really help out. I have taken back over the shopping (but I make sure someone will be home to unload for me). I agree about the PT you get enough Just day to day.... It is funny how you have days where it seem like you can "see improvement" then it passes like 3-4 days and you feel like nothing has improved... But I think we really are improving but at a more steady smaller pace. I have decided to try the 2 week trip with my husband (we stay in a corporate apartment) and I am going to try the 4 hour flight (managed to use miles to snag a business class seat)... I leave in 11 days! I'm kinda scared truth be told!
 
@Raffs I'm in agreement with not doing home PT. This morning before even going to PT I found that I could do a few steps upstairs the regular way, my leg just felt so much stronger just from doing stuff at home and walking. I can't go all the way up and I need to hold the rail but still it's progress.

@Poz222 Slow and steady improvement is a wonderful thing for all of us!! Even though the tunnel is long I feel like I can actually see the light waaaay down there lol. Stinks that I have to do this all over again in January :(. Glad you booked your trip. I think it's normal to be nervous but it's not a big sightseeing trip and you'll have plenty of time to rest so I think you'll be ok.
 
Sorry you have to go through it again in January... I am hoping to get another year or two out of the right knee. As always, my body will dictate that... I don't have too many joints left for my RA to attack, hoping my immune system does not "gang up" on that knee and drive it out of the neighborhood too... Lol... I guess eventually I will just run out of joints to replace!
 
I do just want to get it over with but sooo glad my doc talked me out of bilateral. Those bilat peeps are amazing but I just could not do it. I don't want to go through another summer like this one plus I know that when the cortisone wears off I'll be hurting again soooo...just have to butch up and get it done!

Poor you with that RA, that's just tough!! Hoping it behaves for a good long time. Have you ever read about dietary changes to prevent exacerbations? I have auto immune thyroid disease (hashimotos) and am trying several dietary changes to prevent the exacerbations and it appears to be working...for now. Just food for thought lol.
 
I know I could never handle a bi-lat either! I know of a few personal "trigger foods" (not fresh eggs, dairy, certain veggies and most processed foods etc) all'of which I avoid. But my RA is definetly genetic (mom has it in all her small joints as did grandma and great grandma). But I take my biological (Humira) diligently (however I have to wait till 6 weeks post op to take again and I have been off it since 6 weeks prior) so I am battling some flares. It just means I have to be prudicious with my energy use and really listen to my body. But cheers to us moving ahead!
 
My right non TKR knee has been holding up pretty well so far. PT is making sure not to aggravate it. I HAVE to get to January. Once I go back to work I just can't be out through the holidays, so tough on the rest of my team. Does anyone know how close to TKR one can get cortisone? Does it matter? I will be due for another injection around November 11 but want to have my TKR like the second week of January.
 
I was told it had to be at least 6 weeks between a cortisone shot and knee replacement surgery. I don't know if it works the same the other way around. Why don't you tag Josephine, she'll no doubt know the answer?
 
The bilateral peeps are amazing aren't they? i have Hashimotos as well. The divergence diet was suggested to me. I have not tried it but pretty much eliminated all wheat products and have felt better.

@bdink21, how frequently have you been getting cortisone injections?
 
@wings I have been getting cortisone shots every 3 months for the past year or so. I got one in my left knee 3 months before surgery but if I get one in my right knee in November I'll only be 6-8 weeks from when I want to do the surgery. @Josephine do you know how close to surgery one can get cortisone injection?

What is the divergence diet? I also have eliminated gluten from my diet which seems to work on preventing flare ups of the hashimotos.

@Raffs Thanks for the suggestion, I did tag her :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That was supposed to be the virgin diet, by someone named Virgin. You drop seven things. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn and (grouped together) sugar and artificial sweeteners. I've read gluten is the main culprit for most people, so good for you on dropping gluten. It would be difficult for me to give up artificial sweeteners.

I'm in similar situation with cortisone. It's been 3 months since I've had one in my left knee and 2 months on my right. I plan on having my right knee surgery around first of November.
 
Impressive thread. These ones have a mind of there own.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom