TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

@jbrooklyn had problems with quad tendinitis, and she tried acupuncture. Read her thread. It seemed to help her. Hope you solve it soon!
 
Quad tendinitis is very stubborn. Lots of rest and time eventually helped me.
 
Oh I hate hearing about the tendinitis:-( especially with everything you have to do.... Yes, you gotta make time for resting it whenever you can. I too am trying to find my balance point with some days really wiping me out! I am still going to PT as I can seek to shake my limp and it makes certain muscles hurt. Seems all my walking was good and bad in the sense my muscles picked up some bad habits that I have to work through...

So sorry to hear about the funeral stuff, it is so sad to watch someone destroy themselves then leave everyone else to pick up the pieces.

Stay strong and healthy and force yourself to make time to rest the leg so it can heal!!
 
Little update after OS visit....he does not think my issue is quad tendinitis like the PT thinks. He thinks it is the internal stitches and says the area I am pointing to is exactly where the knot is. He recommends using heat rather than ice due to not having any swelling. He said to give it 3 months for the internal stitches to dissolve and the area to fully heal. I sure hope he's right! He was VERY pleased with my progress. Flexion is 135 and extension is 0!!!! We talked about what I thought of PT and he was in agreement when I said I would rather not have formal PT for the next knee. He didn't want to renew the tramadol and thinks I'll be fine with Tylenol ES and Aleve. Wants me to just walk and use the bike for exercise, no weights until 3 months.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@bdink21, catching up on your thread. I'm so sorry regarding your brother-in-law's death. That's a lot to handle coupled with returning to work. Glad your OS is agreeable with the no formal PT. I have to keep an eye on my PT as they would love to add weights again. I know you're busy since returning to work, but it's great to see your updates.
 
@bdink21 - for everything coming your way, you are doing incredibly well.. sorry to hear of your husband's brother.. Sounds like you were able to do what was necessary... hugs to you though.... :friends: Those are GREAT numbers for just barely 10 weeks out. Good for you!!! :yay: Try to rest and enjoy this weekend.. you deserve it.. :yes:
 
3 month update
Well I haven't been posting too much for a couple of reasons. First, life is just so BUSY! Busy with work, scouts, and football ( my fave). And second because the past few weeks would've been one long WHINE, unfortunately not wine. The fatigue has definitely improved so there's a plus but the knee is just still so sore. I think it is finally starting to get a little better :fingersx: but Aleve and Tylenol are still my best friends. I really don't ice that much anymore and my knee is not swollen but by the end of the day, all I want to do is sit down. I do stretch every day but don't ride my bike much and other than what I do at work, I don't walk much. Stairs are still tough, especially going down. When I add the weight of my computer and my nursing bag, stairs truly suck. I still go down one step at a time and so very ssllooooowwwly. When I've been sitting for a while and stand up, it takes a few steps before I am not walking like Frankenstein. I really thought I would be back to normal by now even knowing this is a long process. I wish i had the time to walk daily like my OS suggests, but at the end of the day I am done and there is still dinner to cook, a kid to cart around, and meetings to attend :tiredwheel:. I feel like my progress was much faster before I went back to work, it's just so frustrating. My nonTKR knee is starting to feel like it needs another steroid injection but I am trying to put it off as long as possible. I'll definitely need it before the busy Christmas season.

Well that's about all for this update. It's nice to vent in a place that I know there are people who know exactly how I'm feeling. Hope all you awesome Bonesmarties have a smooth walk down that recovery road :).
 
So glad to hear from you! I think returning to work slowed down my physical recovery, but it helped my psyche and my bank account. And I don't think it did any permanent damage. Ni e to know you are back in the swing of things. One day at a time!
 
Thanks for checking in with us, Bridget. I think that a lot of Bonesmarties who go back to work are dealing with similar concerns. Carrying things down stairs is challenging. I suppose you can't just throw the computer and nursing bag down the stairs to reduce the weight of what you're carrying, can you? If you throw the nursing bag down first, and toss the computer so that it lands on the bag, you *probably* won't damage either. ;)
 
@SarahJane lol now that's a good idea!! Or maybe slide down the stairs on the backpack? Thanks for the morning laugh :)!

@Slainte yes my bank account is so much happier, another plus!
 
I agree with you all!
Went back to work at 3 weeks....still paying for it at 4 months
 
Happy New Year Bonesmarties!! I haven't posted in a while so thought I'd give a little update. A little over 5 months out. Left knee is doing ok, still a little stiff and sore and once in a while I have a day when it feels great but....my right knee is done!! It did well after my surgery with the cortisone injection and I am grateful that my new knee had time to recover a bit. In mid-November I had another cortisone injection that did not take and now that poor right knee has rapidly deteriorated. I had a follow up appointment with my OS a couple of weeks ago and really only kept it so that I could talk to him about scheduling right TKR. He did some X-rays and of course my right knee looks just as bad as the left one did before surgery. My RTKR surgery date is March 22 but I honestly don't know how I will make it until then, I am in so much pain. I have many obligations to fulfill before then so I really can't change the date to sooner. Feeling a bit down and depressed that again my mobility is so limited. My biggest fear is that from now til then I will lose much of the strength I regained since my LTKR. I'm going to have to find something I can tolerate doing so that doesn't happen. I am seeing my PCP on Tuesday and will ask for some tramadol to help get me through the day, Tylenol and Aleve are just not cutting it anymore...
 
Oh no!! I totally feel where your coming from... My non TKR knee is really starting to act up... Although I am not sure if it is in fact worse or if the TKR knee has advanced to the point it just feels worse?? Either way I am sad to hear you have to go through this so soon and at the same time that you have to suffer with it hurting for so long! Are they going to try another cortisone shot to see you till the surgery? The good thing is you healed so well with the first one and your recovery was really textbook so hopefully this one will be the same or better.

We been busy here too. My knee is doing OK although I still don't have the range of motion I had hoped... But I feel like it is still slowly improving. Still a bit stiff and aches sometimes, but the deep catching pain in the "good" knee has me scared that the second knee is not far behind either... We are taking our exchange student from Thailand to go skiing (she has never seen snow and being in Florida never will ) so we are going "into" the cold... Lol... I'm not stupid enough to try skiing, but I can hang at the lodge, listen to the musician and get drunk.. Lol.

I hope that they can stave off the intense pain to get you by till you can get that one fixed up. But glad to hear from you again... All we can do is fix em' when they're broke and keep moving forward... Glad we live in a era where we have the option rather than have to give up our mobility completely! Keep your head up!! Good luck... You'll do fine I know it!
 
Hey @Poz222!! I wouldn't be due for cortisone injection until mid February and since it didn't work last time I don't see the point, know what I mean?. As for ROM, mine is great! I can't externally rotate my left hip though too much and I hope it's just tight hip muscles and not my hip lol!! I'll get through but it's just so frustrating to be here again so soon. You are right, thank God we are able to repair these things. My recovery was pretty great with my left knee, praying for a nice recovery again.

Glad that your knee is progressing but sorry to hear your other knee is starting to bother you, one gets a bright shiny new knee and the other gets jealous! We're only at 5 months though so there's lots of time to improve. Funny about skiing....I vote for the lodge and drunk too! I've never skied, always thought I would break my leg.

I am trying to stay positive and know that soon it will all be over and I'll be on the road to recovery. Thanks for the support as always my surgery sister!
 
Hi @bdink21 - Glad to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your right knee. Try to remember your limited mobility will not be long lived.. Once you get your second new knee, you'll regain your strength in good time. Hang in there! Your friends here are rooting for you!! :friends:
 
Hi @bdink21, I was just looking at the March Musketeers, and noticed that you're having your second knee done on the 22! I'm having my second surgery just a month after you on 4/20. Wishing you the best :flwrysmile:
 
Hey @swmrgirl!! Yep the other knee needs fixing! One more month of this gawdawful pain to go! On the bright side, at 6 months out my left TKR is doing well. A little stiffness and stairs still suck but it's getting there.

Thanks for the well wishes! Right back at you :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom