TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

@Thesoutherncook yes I do alternate between elevation and side lying every night. Depends on what the knee wants lol.

So I had a PT session yesterday and all went well until he had me lay on my tummy then bent my knee literally until I started to cry. He did not stop when I told him it hurt. Of course once he saw I was crying he apologized but said he needs to stretch my knee. I walked into PT with perfect gait and no pain and walked out limping in quite a bit of pain. I iced the rest of the day and all night and today am still very sore and needing to use my cane again and take pain meds frequently. I have another appt with him on Tuesday and am seriously considering canceling. Thing is I've had this PT before and he was great. I may just let him know just how much damage he did and take it from there. Not a great day today :(
 
I had a new PT today and after reading all the advice here, was perfectly clear with him from the start that I was NOT going to allow him to hurt me! He was taken aback, but did his job without killing me! I am happy to say, I feel much better this afternoon and am walking without limping finally! I requested him again next week!!
We'll see what my knee has to say about this around 3am! :scaredycat:
 
You must let your PT know how much damage he did. It's just not acceptable for him to continue to hurt you when you have told him to stop - in fact, it was an assault. Make it perfectly clear that you will never allow him to perform that action on you again.
It's not necessary anyway. It's less than a month since your surgery and there is no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after surgery.

Maybe your PT is a believer in the "window of opportunity" for getting ROM. It's a fallacy and a myth that should have died long ago:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@bdink21 - SO sorry you had a bad experience with your PT.. That does NOT sounds fun at all.. in fact, it just flat out sounds wrong. I would go back ONE time and have a blunt conversation with him. If that doesn't change things, find another PT. I had a fill in PT who pushed it too much one time and the next time when I went back (with some trepidation, mind you), I told her that she hurt me and that I wouldn't let it happen again.. She listened, and actually ended up being pretty good after that.

You would think they would KNOW this stuff!!!!!

Continue to rest, ice and elevate .... Hopefully you will feel better soon.. :console2:
 
Thanks for all of your support!! My next PT appointment is Tuesday. If my knee is not feeling better I'm going to cancel it. If I do go I plan to have a conversation with that PT. If he doesn't agree to no pain therapy I'll just going stop going and rehab the knee myself.
 
You are the only one who gets to decide how best to rehab. I have been reading about the PT for TKR and feel more comfortable then ever going it alone. I was soooo angry at the attitude of my PT and the supervisor. Hope your knee is feeling better! And that you get some good rest.
 
Happy Saturday Bonesmarties!! Well this morning after a little ice and gently stretching I feel pretty good again. The swelling has gone down back to previous and I can bend my knee again. Only took 2 days of doing nothing except icing and elevating, no exercises, no bike, no housework. Pain is also much better. I am now taking tramadol and Tylenol during the day and Vicodin only at night. I have a few errands to run like dentist and bowling sign up for my son and then I'll be home resting after that.
 
I too have recovered from the PT Satan's. Hubby bought the measure thing and with his gentle stretching after warmup on the little pedal bike he measured 110! I trust him not to cause pain so I relax and he can move it more!

I do the same meds regimen as you except I take alieve during day and percocet at night along with an alieve pm. Have a great Saturday! I'm gonna start getting stuff together to pack.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
I have FINALLY slept the whole night in my own bed!! Aside from getting up once to use the bathroom I didn't get up at all, not even to take pain meds. I'm just icing my knee now while having my morning tea. It's a little sore this morning but otherwise ok. Was soooo good to sleep in my own bed!!
 
Good for you, Bridget! Your posts, an inspiration. This community would have helped after my 1st TKR. My patient family (I also have a go-to son who'll be called into action) tries, but isn't as informed as fellow Bonesmarties. After 9/15 TKR (2 days, oh my), I'll probably log onto this forum 24 sleepless hours a day.

Keep up your great slow-but-sure recovery, Brenda!
 
@bdink21 Congratulations on sleeping all night!! It feels much like when my babies slept all night for the first time... I woke up to make sure they were still breathing! When I slept all night, I woke up to feel my knee to see if I dreamed all of this! You will feel like a new woman now! Yeahhhhhhh! :yay:
 
I can't believe it's already time for the 5 WEEK UPDATE!!!! Time truly does fly....

Anyways, so I know my return to work date is October 6. Best I can do for progressive return to work is 2-32 hour work weeks before I go to full time on the 3rd week. I am a visiting nurse and work locally. I have a caseload of patients that I manage and do an average of 5-6 visits daily. It includes driving and direct patient care. The good thing is my charting can be done at home in my recliner with my feet up (which was what I was doing months before my surgery lol). My only problem with return to work is that I get so tired so easily. This morning I had the big idea to gradually fill my day with things to build up my endurance over the next 3 weeks. Here's how that worked out lol. I got up at 530a, woke my son up, ironed his school clothes, made breakfast, and packed lunch. I decided I would have some coffee ( haven't been able to drink it since my surgery)....nope, still makes me nauseous. After my son went off to school at 650a, I decided to vacuum the living room rug, took about 15 minutes.....and that was as far as I made it :rotfl:. I need ALOT of work on my endurance. Tomorrow is another day so I'll try again. I already have clothes ironed for him for tomorrow and I'll make his lunch before I go to bed so I'll be ahead of the game. We'll see what happens...

I went to PT again, first time since he hurt me last week. He asked me how my weekend was and I was honest when I told him he hurt me and caused me 2 days of increased pain and swelling and needed to use the cane again. He told me he was very sorry and wouldn't do that again and I believe him. The PT session went great and I feel as though I'm progressing. My ROM is 115/0. We walked up and down 2 flights of stairs twice alternating legs which I did very well with. On the way down the second time he asked if I had pain and my answer was 'well not bad enough to make me cry' lol the look on his face was priceless!! He really did feel bad about hurting me and I'm glad we can continue to work well together.

Very little pain today, I only took 2 tramadol and 2 ES Tylenol this morning and haven't needed to take anything else. I feel pretty good overall despite a few bumps in the road.
 
Glad ur doing well... yes, the stamina thing is frustrating. I have a list of things I want to do each day and usually only manage to do half of what I "thought" I could do! My home PT is going good. I'm at 110/0 and really only do strech stuff and daily activities. You are so busy with day to day you get a lot of exercise. I'm more lazy keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
Haha I'm not always so busy. I do lots of lazy resting and still have to do stuff sitting down. On days that I am busy I don't do any kind of PT. My job for today is to take a nice walk, I haven't done that in a while and the weather is perfect for walking. I have a big to-do to go to this evening so I'm going to rest up for that. Brag moment, my baby sister has a big civil service promotion and her induction ceremony is tonight, so proud of her!
 
Sounds like fun (but tiring) wear sensible shoes! I am resting hoping for the flare to pass. I have to continue packing. Travelling extra light cause I can't carry my luggage and I don't want you overload hubby. Packing two people for 3 weeks in one big suitcase and aone carry-on suitcase is a challenge

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
Happy Friday everyone! PT went so well yesterday and I had zero pain last night yippee! After a few more sleepless nights I was able to sleep in my own bed again and my knee woke me up around 530ish am, just a few minutes before my alarm went off, smart knee I have LOL. I wasn't having pain so much as my knee was just not comfortable in bed anymore. Got up to do my usual morning stuff, getting hubby and son off to their respective morning destinations, took 1 tramadol and 2 ES Tylenol as knee was getting a little sore. Iced and elevated a while then decided to attempt an outside walk to the main road which has some decent flat parts but lots of hills getting there and last part of the walk back. All in all it was about 1/2 mile. I did take my cane so that I don't limp and end up putting too much of the load on my non TKR knee which still needs TLC. I had my head phones on with my favorite Pandora station, 80s and 90s rock ballads (just can't enough of those rock ballads :rotfl:). I actually felt like a totally normal person, it was such a great feeling. My knee handled it well, I was actually able to walk DOWNHILL for the first time in many many months. I am hoping to make this a daily thing, gradually increasing the distance as tolerated :yes!:. Very happy morning. Planning on stopping in at work to pick up my computer and catch up on work things and tonight going to my son's football game (I'm a total football mom ). Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!
 
Yay! Great day!!! I am resting up today for my airplane and travel adventure tomorrow. .. so happy your making friends with ur knee

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
Buddy ( my RTKR) and I went to PT this am but insisted on GENTLE stretching today since we were just there yesterday! Who makes PT appts for 2 days in a row?? Geez!! Resting, icing and elevating this afternoon and ejoying lovely early fall weather in the mtns of faaaaaaar western NC!
I hope your weekend will be fun and pain free!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom