THR New left hip 20 October<

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you very much @wcgirl Yep, will not go at crazy speed, slowly, slowly but YIPPEE sorry to shout, yippee. Was worried especially after GP thought the bleeding might be infection so much relieved and now the hard work. Thanks again.

Dean

You must be feeling a sigh of relief!
Nah, this is the fun part! You get to be in charge. OK maybe that only works for the crazy type A people :shrug:

Did I feel a reggae beat to that song?

@Jamesdean You are six or seven weeks out now, so that is about right for driving I think. Apparently I can drive now as I'm off the narcotics and was driving with right leg pre second op. I'm just too darned tired still, quite pathetic, but thats my main moan at the moment! I might think about driving around the end of week four, as this recovery seems to be going faster in terms of mobility. Don't go wild on those roads....but you will so be relieved to have the freedom to go out and about. Ah normal life stuff! Enjoy! :driver:

When does the OS think you should think about second surgery? Some folks are able to push it off for awhile, while others seem to find the first surgery ticks off the second hip good and proper and pushes up the whole process! I was so fed up with not being able to do anything activity wise, and enjoy living in the great outdoors, hiking and riding horses etc., couldn't sit comfortably to tutor my students etc. I had had it to the gills, and was ready for whatever I had to do to get it over and done with and wanted to get on with life. I swear if I had had to do another damp winter with the old hips, I would have been on some serious pain meds, as Tylenol and Meloxicam were not cutting it any more. I had really old fashioned GP who felt that if I had one tiny speck of joint space, I wasn't to be referred to an OS and had to suffer some more. I got into my OS via a locum doctor!! More than one road leads to Rome :wink: OS looked at my xrays and said, you need to get these done! I asked him what was the bench mark for making the decision. He asked me if I could sleep at night for starters. We'd purchased three new mattresses in three years (pretty good quality too) because I couldn't sleep and was in agony each morning, hmm, that was a no brainer! Unfortunately my MIL had been unwell and was quite unstable medically, so I waited until all that calmed down. She lives in Bermuda and my hubby was traveling back and forth etc. Anyhow, I'm done and dusted as they say, and it is all about recovery now. Hope you can have some comfortable time before next hip. The extended recovery time is a bore and a half, but I found the nine weeks between to work for me. Come springtime I'll be back to :fasthorse:! If you have any questions about the double hippy surgery experience (not to be confused with the bilateral super stars!), there are enough of us here to give you a broad view of it all :cheers:.

Yay, a good report, and it rhymes in the bargain! I know from personal experience that the “slow recovery” news isnt exactly what you want to hear. We’ve been gallumping around sometimes years with a wonky hip, and just want to Get On With It. But, I’m concentrating on the RECOVERY word (visualizing it written in huge letters on a blackboard), and ruthlessly erasing the “slow” word off the blackboard. We are finally recovering. And ain’t it grand to hear the man say he isn’t worrried? Saaaaweeeeeeeet!

It’s so helpful to read others’ recovery threads and see that they are dealing with setbacks also! @Jamesdean keep that great sense of humor! Lord knows in my months of recovery mine stood me in good stead

@SwampHiker and thing. Thanks for the message, would have been nice had it been a message in a bottle [would like to celebrate]. In charge ish? But I can say to physio stop that mate , do you really want to hurt me.

Hi at @Alitm and thank you. What do you tutor? Your GP sounds wonderful, he should maybe meet up with the one the other day who told me on the phone that my new hippy was probably infected and that was the problem of the pain in my thigh. I find all of you doubles inspiring and hope to be equally as brave, but know that I am just a big cry baby, actually not so big 5ft9ins. I do not have much cartilage to speak of on the right hip, the OS had previously said 3/6 months but he is so happy with his handiwork at getting my legs the same length he thought I might with a little bit of luck [song from My Fair Lady] be able to get a year if I start walking properly and take pressure off it. The right one was diagnosed 22 years ago but lefty flew past it. Anyway, financial circumstances dictate that I need to be back in my job, 3 days a week supermarket, for at least a year so that I get paid for the first 6 weeks of illness so hopefully can last a year. I will have hundreds of questions before, during and after. Thanks again.

Dean

hello @hiphoser Slowly didn't sound good at the beginning but now, yeah its ok, but really do like the word recovery, slowly, getting there, no problem. We have waited quite a while so a few more weeks being an impatient patient and then, fly like an eagle, run like a gazelle, drink like a fish and smoke like a trooper...

Pleased to hear your 6wker went ok Dean and so poetically put
My first appt is 3mths after and although seen physio was not a review really but guessing would same similar to me.
Backache keeping me awake this morning
:nah:need to get up but bit early yet...sigh

Hi and good morning @Cathippy and thanks. Surgeon said another 6/8 weeks for work but seeing him again and of January, hopefully by then will have muscle build up. It's a long old do but will be better than before. Sighing not permitted, gritting teeth allowed.

Goodness, I don't come on for the evening and a whole page of chatter passes by!

Dean, your appointment must have been early because your appointment was at 8.15pm and your first post thereafter was at 8.45pm ... then you are up before the larks posting at 4.52am! :thud: My Surgeon 'allows' me up to 30 minutes and we have a 45 minute drive, plus a few minutes me slowly exiting the car into the wheelchair and 2 minutes into hospital consultancy Reception and his (shared) office is in front of Reception. Parking is free at all hospitals here.

Anyhooo, so pleased it went well so now you can concentrate on relaxing and recovering ... and of course song writing! :yahoo:

Fala mais tarde!

Hi @Izabel Struck really lucky. Hospital is about 20 minute cab journey. Got there at 7.45pm and the surgeon was there but not his 7.45pm patient, so straight in. Discussed your numbness for a few minutes and then went on to my problems. Was able to ask everything on my list and got answers for everything. The cab waited in the car park, no extra charge, as we have been using them since the op, including 3 times in 3 days because of unexpected bleeding so basically I was home before my appointment, and the cab people gave me the return journey free so that was nice as well. So to recap, we can expect to be numb until....we are no longer numb and it is normal. Have a nice day Izabel. Was up early yes, forgot to take any pain meds last night ? aha

:wave:So happy to hear all is well...no infection...just body adjusting after all that time with a bad hip and surgical trauma.
As you say, we aren't likely to be given the information of Exactly what to expect, therefore we are often left to our own devices.
Good thing to let BoneSmart be included on one of those devices.
The things you glean from those who know was invaluable to me.

Hope today is a good day!:happydance:

Last edited:
Hi James. Glad you got the answers. Are you going to list them here? Good to hear about the numbness going - it does eventually and then sometimes you get a bit of burning pain around the scar which worried me but I was told was normal. Most of that has gone now unless I overdo it… Have a great day!

:old:hi @SurreyGirl and thanks for your message. The questions were:
Numbness in certain areas: Answer: Will go but can take a long time, completely normal
Pain around scar: Answer: Will go but can take a long time, completely normal
Pain on side of thigh, pain and knot in quads, calf: Answer: Need to build up muscles, physio and walking. Need to stretch.
What pain medication to take: Answer: Whichever takes the pain away [very funny I thought]
Can I drive: Answer: If you can do an emergency stop then orf you jolly well go old chap
Time for recovery: As long as it takes but mainly revolves around building up muscles again.
What are the winning numbers for this weeks Lottery: Answer: Not going to tell you
Who won the FA Cup in 1927: Answer: Cardiff
[US Smarties} Who won the World Series in 1932: Answer: New York Yankees [how did he know that?}
Follow up appointment on 30 Jan but physio restarts 18 Dec. Thats about it in a nutshell

Dean

Last edited:
Dean you have mail! My OS does not do a follow up appt after the initial one - not even after a year..

@SurreyGirl Is there not a duty of care? Apparently my one sees you 6 weeks and 12 weeks as standard. I have to say that there are some great names at the hospital. Yep, my surgeon who is a lovely man is called Kutty, pronounced Cootee, and there is a Dr Carver and Dr Saw....fantastic. I asked reception last night if there was one called Mr Bluntknife, apparently not.

My OS does not do a follow up appt after the initial one - not even after a year..

:yikes::shocked::sos::flabber::bolt: @SurreyGirl, I really do not know what to say ... or think with this lack of aftercare!

My Surgeon visited me every day in hospital then at 2 weeks after knee then after a month with X-rays of knee and hip (which he planned to do later). With the hip it was the same plus I see him every two weeks but that is because I have the infection. But, I always see he himself. Aftercare is very important here and I am pleased I had my ops here and not the UK. I had my breast cancer op here as well as my original hip replacement and my husband a neck tumor and we feel blessed with all the treatment we have received.

@Jamesdean. Sorry for going off your issue but I just couldn't believe how SurreyGirl has been treated, not medically but regards aftercare.

I had to laugh at the doctor's names. We had a lawyer on the IoW named Mr Careless .... :loll: .... but admit he was a lovely chap and efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member