TKR New knee newbie<<

I wish I'd asked sooner, but never thought about it. I think the Ex wide one would be better for me as I'm over 200lbs plus I have a king bed and it won't take anymore room than the CPM did. It might fit on my recliner couch. I know those are a no no but its all we have to sit on. The Lounge Dr isn't Prime so it would take maybe 10days to get. I'll see how this other one works.

Yes, it took mine 8 days to arrive. They have the exact measurements on the Amazon page so you'll know which one will work best for your bed, sofa, legs, etc.

@Josephine I would have bought it through BS, but I didn't see it here when I bought mine. Just so people know, I clicked the link and the price came up as $89.95, which is what I paid for mine. Maybe the price is less for Prime members.

Ok I'm going to eat my words here. I got that one I ordered ( see pg #3) and you're all right. Its too big for my leg. And uncomfortable. SOOO I'm returning it and buying the one everyone is suggesting. Live and learn.
Thanks

Big brownie points for admitting that!!

Don’t you just love free shipping and returns? :yes!: Get what works for you and ditch anything else!

I’m ordering the transfer bench today then the Lounge Doctor in a couple weeks. Will make sure to order that via bonesmart!

Wanted to share a pic of my knee at 7wks. I still think its still very swollen. I see the Dr today. Not sure how he's going to feel about my only 73 degree bend but I'm still making progress. It's slow but I haven't gone backwards. I'm using my cane, though the other day I either kicked the cane or something else and I think I might have broken my left pinky toe making walking a challenge. Yea I'm very clumsy and most of the time I never know how I did something.:heehee:

KNEE 7-11.jpg

Hi @MJ61 hello x
Your knee does look swollen, BUT, perfectly normal to me ! Mine has only just started to look more normal, you really need to allow much more time for it to go down. All info on the forum says allow 12 months, i think thats about right.

Saw my OS yesterday for my 7wks post op. He was impressed with the fact I'm doing pretty well walking with my cane, He wasn't happy with the 73 degree bend. See him again in 2wks to talk about a MUA. I'm not happy with that. I know I can say Yes or No on that. I"m just not convinced it will work.

I have a "Dead Quad" that is just starting to show signs it might be waking up. And the increased swelling and that I will have to put off going back to work in Aug because of it.

How do we know that doing a MUA won't put it back to sleep again, we don't. I'm so confused, angry and had a total breakdown about 1am this morning. This wasn't suppose to be like this. I'm sorry I ever did this. I'm scared it won't get any better than what I have now

I'm so confused, angry, and had a total breakdown about 1am this morning. this wasn't suppose to be like this, I'm sorry I ever did this. I'm scared it won't get any better than what I have now
I totally understand feeling like that, I felt that way, too. But you are only 7 weeks into a 52 week recovery ( give or take) you have lots of time to improve.
:console2::console2:

I have had lots of times of feeling that way too. I’m 11 weeks and only just starting to feel it’s been worth it! Oh - and my knee is at least as swollen as yours so don’t worry - it’s normal. Everyone talks about turning a corner and it really seems like that to me. You go along for a week or two not noticing any improvement and then you wake up one day to find your bend has improved or you’re walking unaided without thinking about it. Hang in there.

Surgeons and PAs love to bring up MUA for some reason. Sometimes I think they just want you to know the option exists, should patients express unhappiness about their bend. :shrug: There's no need to even think about doing that this soon, though, and your flexion really is likely to improve, perhaps even quite a lot, in the next few weeks. Elevate a lot, as much as you can, and ice, and let that quad of yours wake up before you make the decision. :console2:

It's easy to go into TKR thinking it's supposed to "be" a certain way. Our surgeons and medical team often set us up for these expectations -- yet the truth is there is no way at all to know in advance how recovery will go.

I'm sorry I ever did this. I'm scared it won't get any better than what I have now
That's not an uncommon mind set at 7 weeks. I remember first time around when my surgeon said he never sees his patients at 6-7 weeks because they're all in pain and dissatisfied and he knows there's precious little he can do about it. Plus telling them it will settle in a few weeks just makes them more angry and disappointed so he doesn't see them any more! He waits until about 12 weeks by which time they'd got over the grumps and are happier! We always used to tell members that 6 weeks was the middle of the 'angry tissue' phase which is also true! Have patience @MJ61 - this too shall come to pass!

I think I might have broken my left pinky toe
Let me cheer you up with a funny story! I also broke my little toe during my first recovery. Didn't do much, just brushed it lightly on the edge of the bath as I got into it for a shower. I didn't even realise I'd done anything until I kept feeling the toe flick backwards and forwards as I put weight on my foot! Here it is

5-03-09a-horz.jpg

The is nothing more depressing than reading about how great everyone else's ROM is doing after only a few weeks. At almost 8 wks I'm only 73 ROM. I know I'm not suppose to compare my recovery to everyone else's. Hubby keeps telling me you're unique and don't look at anyone else but it's hard not to when you haven't found anyone that has had the same problems as you.

I have the "dead quad" or my quad won't wake up, neither my PT or Dr have come across this and don't know what to do. I've been told it's all in my head or I have a mental block.

I'm try and do my exercises 2x a day ice and elevate and take my pain med's (the pain is back so I'm taking them again) I see the Dr in 2wks and he wants to talk MUA,
I know I've talk about all this fear before but its still on my mind 24/7. I really love to reading about everyone's success but I'm tempted to stop reading threads.

Thanks for letting me vent. <3

The is nothing more depressing than reading about how great everyone elses ROM is doing after only a few weeks.
I read the threads, too, but I don’t see all that many with fabulous ROM in early weeks.
I'm try and do my exercises 2x a day ice and elevate and take my pain med's ( the pain is back so I'm taking them again)
It could be you are trying too hard and doing to much for your particular knee and that is why you have increased pain.

Go back to the beginning of your thread and read the recovery articles again. They are still important at 8 weeks post op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back