TKR New knee newbie<<

Oh you can't beat a daily diary! I kept one on here for both knees!
 
I really lean on my walker. So much so I’ve now have blisters on both my palms.
I got them, too, so I got a pair of bicycle gloves and wore them. They helped a whole lot!
 
I bought cycling gloves as well, when using crutches made my hands blistered.
 
I've been using my CPM at night so I can sleep, but I've been trying to get on it for a bit in the afternoon so I can bump up the Flex. I finally got to 80! no pain at all I did it gradually. I know scar tissue takes a while to form if ever but if I can get to 80 on a CPM with just a little discomfort. I would think I'm not forming any scar tissue. I measured 70 last week at Pt under my own power. My knee was really swollen from last Thursday to Monday and I was back taking pain meds. but the last day or so it doesn't feel as swollen and no pain meds needed. I'm walking on my cane more which is very freeing.
 
I can hear your enthusiasm in your message. That is great. Being able to comfortably move from the walker to a cane is a big step, literally and figuratively! :thumb: I know I liked using the CPM - do not know enough about development of scar tissue to opine on whether that helps keep it at bay .. will let wiser and more knowledgeable heads on here give you feedback on that. I just liked the idea of keeping my knee moving. So glad your swelling is down and you are off the pain meds. Now, don't overdo it and irritate your knee again! :bignono:
 
We all form scar tissue. It’s how our body knits tissues back together after injury, so I am quite happy to have it. Yay for scar tissue! But only the right kind and in the right places.

The kind of scar tissue that impedes knee movement is called adhesions. Though much feared, these are really quite uncommon. Be reassured to know that if you are improving this much in a week you have little to fear. :ok:

Keep cooling and elevating your knee to get the swelling down and you will see both more bend and less pain.
 
I know scar tissue takes a while to form if ever but if I can get to 80 on a CPM with just a little discomfort. I would think I'm not forming any scar tissue.
Stop fretting about that! Scar tissue is not that common and takes a long old time to develop anyway.
 
Just found out they are taking away my CPM machine tomorrow. I've been sleeping in it at night.. Ins won't pay for anymore wks. I looked at some of the ways to elevate my leg in bed on here. My question is where can I find these.
 
I find it very helpful reading through the posts and when I come across something I find really good I screenshot it for easy reference. Just something I thought about in last couple of days as I found I had brain block. Just took a screenshot of the diagram Josephine put up of ROM then I can refer back to it easily.
 
I just went back and re-read my post. must have been half asleep when I wrote it. LOL I found the piece where it shows the proper way to elevate the leg.
What I was wondering where to get a wedge like the one shown in the proper way to elevate
 
I did a google search and found an old Bonesmart post about the Lounge Doctor; I’m going to order that.
 
Amazon is a great resource for ordering leg elevation wedges. That's how I found the Lounge Doctor in the first place. Once you know the name of a wedge you can search for that brand and maybe find it cheaper on their own website. Or maybe through Walmart.com.

Also consider local medical supply stores. Call to find out if they have leg elevation wedges. They'll have less selection, and you will have to go to the store to see the product, but the plus is you can bring it straight home with you if you like it.
 
That's not a good one, MJ. See this Lounge Doctor which is very popular here

[Bonesmart.org] New knee newbie<<




Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
You can purchase anything directly from that thread so long as it has the green "click Amazon" on it.
It benefits BoneSmart financially if you do!
 
Because it only takes one leg and it's confining.
 
I can see about it being confining, but I've been using the CPM machine at night so I've been use to only 1 leg being elevated. I didn't see this one when looking last night on Amazon. If it doesn't work for me I can always return it and get that one.
 
I bought the regular size Lounge Doctor and it fits both my legs perfectly. I measured beforehand so knew it would fit both legs and that the wide size wouldn't fit anywhere but my bed.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom