TKR New knee for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lili.....that level is pretty low and if it's been dropping you really wouldn't want to go home until things are back on the upswing. So, I'm going to assume that you'll be in the hospital tonight at least. If it turns out that you need a transfusion, please try not to worry about it. The blood supplies today are very safe and infection should not be an issue. It's extremely rare. We have had many members who needed this procedure and it made a huge difference in how they felt afterwards. Trust that your surgeon knows what is best to get you up and going as soon as possible.
 
@Jamie , yes I'm staying at least tonight the hospital its Dr will have my blood checked early at 5AM and if it still low I'm getting one unit at least. So I will see. I will let you know tomorrow! :dubious:
 
Hi Lili,
My guess is that if you do get the transfusion, you're going to feel a lot better. Low iron is so hard on our bodies. Otherwise, you sound like you're doing remarkably well. I'm so happy for you!
Thanks for the updates. Take good care. Hugs!
 
You are really doing well! I have had a couple of transfusions- all for knee surgeries!!! And I felt so much better later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The good news is my hemoglobin went up some so no transfussion, yey!! :yes!: . The hospitalist came (the discharge Dr) and only prescribed 5 mg of Norco twice a day, only for a week! " we don't want you to be on those meds for over a week" what??? And there was no way to convince him. He said to take Motrin 3 200 mg pills and Tylenol . Ok friends I need your Imput , will that be enough ?

I'm kind of scared because I have been doing good with the pain until now. May be @Josephine can tell me if there is any prescription I can try to get from My PCP? Thank you , thank you!

Lili
 
Lili,
Sounds like you are going to be under medicated, do not hesitate to call your primary, they can also write a script for Norco, call and get the process started on Monday. Since it was the hospitalist who discharged you, not the OS you should call the OS office, and let them know what is going on, they may write a script. You or someone will have to go to the office to pick it up.
A few do well with just Tylenol after discharge, if you are not one of those people you will need an appropriate pain medication for you.
Glad you did not need a transfusion, I did and had to stay in the hospital an extra day, which turned an otherwise fine hospital stay into a less than satisfactory experience.
Here is an interesting video about the myths of addiction, click on Myth or Medicine.
broken link removed: https://secondopinion-tv.org/episode/addiction-pain-medications

Also an article from the Library, Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Good luck, hope you receive the pain relief you need and deserve.
 
[Bonesmart.org] New knee for me !
@Lili, you may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Absolutely get in touch with your surgeon's office immediately. Pain medications like Norco only last about 4 hours so if you're only allowed 2 a day, you're going to have pain that most likely Tylenol won't touch. You have just had major surgery and it is totally disgraceful that some doctor would think you could get by on that small a doseage of pain medication for a week and then be fine. Sorry you have to deal with this when you're trying to recover, but you're going to need to advocate for yourself here. And, if for some reason the surgeon agrees with that hospital doctor, then talk to your GP. Please don't allow yourself to be in pain.
 
ay be @Josephine can tell me if there is any prescription I can try to get from My PCP?
I would recommend Tramadol but I think it rather depends if your PCP will comply. I believe some won't. But you will need something for a good 10m weeks Good grief, you're not even one week out yet! And you can bet that surgeon will have a full range of pain meds on hand for weeks and months when he has his knee done! I think such doctors should be had up for abuse!
 
Josephine is right on the mark, I used Percoset and then Lortab for the first three weeks. Then switched to Tramadol. I would call the nurse at your surgeon's office and tell her that there was a mistake and you were not given adequate pain meds.

If you do not get help there, then call your GP and tell him/her the sad story. The federal government is supervising all physicians and checking into the number of patients they have on narcotics, so everyone is skittish.
 
Hello friends! Well .. It's been almost a week and I feel good, just very tired as my hemoglobin is really low, and I'm not hungry at all! I'm trying to at lease have a couple of protein shakes with fruit a day plus any little food I can handle. Wow! It's been so hard, I'm not hungry!!taking iron also. Rom is good it's about 100 so no complaints there. But today I felt my knee a little different and it's like my scar is burning a little , little bit of discharge on my dressing , not a lot , also around scar red and swollen and warm to the touch! I'm so scared , I call the nurse and she came over and schedule an appointment with OS for tomorrow morning? Are antibiotics the next step if it is an infection? Could this be cause by the circulation socks I'm wearing ? They are all the way up to the growing area. I'm also on Xarelto? I'm just worried . I need some words of knowledge and incurragement. :sos:

Thank you

Lili
 
I can tell you that my incision did not get red or swollen. I did have seeping, a LOT of seeping (needed a washcloth as a bandage wouldn't hold). I think seeing your OS tomorrow is good. You are very early and it may be something simple, but better safe than sorry.mi don't know if th socks could be the cause, but maybe @skigirl or @Jamie may know.
 
Sounds like you are on top of any worrying symptoms. Smart to have it checked out. I know what you mean about having no appetite. That was a good thing for me! Hoping all is well. Let us know what you find out.
 
Hello friends! Well .. It's been almost a week and I feel good, just very tired as my hemoglobin is really low, and I'm not hungry at all! I'm trying to at lease have a couple of protein shakes with fruit a day plus any little food I can handle. Wow! It's been so hard, I'm not hungry!!taking iron also. Rom is good it's about 100 so no complaints there. But today I felt my knee a little different and it's like my scar is burning a little , little bit of discharge on my dressing , not a lot , also around scar red and swollen and warm to the touch! I'm so scared , I call the nurse and she came over and schedule an appointment with OS for tomorrow morning? Are antibiotics the next step if it is an infection? Could this be cause by the circulation socks I'm wearing ? They are all the way up to the growing area. I'm also on Xarelto? I'm just worried . I need some words of knowledge and incurragement. :sos:

Thank you

Lili
Hi Lili

Sounds like you are doing well for most part. Impressed with your rom. What exercises are you doing?
My appetite is also low. Just eating healthy things.. how many x do u get up a day and walk?
My Rom is no where near 100. I had some extra work done to straighten my knock knees. Knee itself is pretty swollen. No seeping or anything like that from scar. Can't wait to see the incision soon.

[emoji221] [emoji259] [emoji285] [emoji261] [emoji258] hoping to sit outside tomorrow ...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Hello friends! Well .. It's been almost a week and I feel good, just very tired as my hemoglobin is really low, and I'm not hungry at all! I'm trying to at lease have a couple of protein shakes with fruit a day plus any little food I can handle. Wow! It's been so hard, I'm not hungry!!taking iron also. Rom is good it's about 100 so no complaints there. But today I felt my knee a little different and it's like my scar is burning a little , little bit of discharge on my dressing , not a lot , also around scar red and swollen and warm to the touch! I'm so scared , I call the nurse and she came over and schedule an appointment with OS for tomorrow morning? Are antibiotics the next step if it is an infection? Could this be cause by the circulation socks I'm wearing ? They are all the way up to the growing area. I'm also on Xarelto? I'm just worried . I need some words of knowledge and incurragement. :sos:

Thank you

Lili
You will see dr. Tomorrow. . Keep us posted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Also find it interesting how different each case is. I don't have stockings...finding even bending 90 degrees hurts still. Getting tired of laying on my back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
@Lili great to see that you are doing so well, your rom is amazing. I had some minor seeping on one incision and the dressing was replaced prior to discharge and nether the nurses nor OS were concerned. Both legs were very warm from the start and this should be just normal healing. They are both much cooler now with the much reduced swelling. Regardless good to have your OS check it out if nothing more than your piece of mind.
 
I would recommend Tramadol but I think it rather depends if your PCP will comply. I believe some won't. But you will need something for a good 10m weeks Good grief, you're not even one week out yet! And you can bet that surgeon will have a full range of pain meds on hand for weeks and months when he has his knee done! I think such doctors should be had up for abuse!
That sounds very stingy on medication. I'd rather have more on hand and not use them..then run short.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom