Guest viewing is limited

TKR New knee for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lilli, I was on iron also and it did a trip on my stomach, even more so than the pain meds. If you have issues try Miralax along with the Senacot they're probably giving you. Sounds like you're doing well. The whole leg will be sore for a while, but it will get better.
 
lili did your surgeon use a tourniquet? If so, that could be the cause of your upper thigh pain. I experienced that and in fact it that was my worst source of pain for the first few days.
 
@KarriB yes I just had one dose of Iron yesterday but I believe eve that and all the medicines had done a number on my lower tummy,I have to wait for them to talk to the Dr to see what they are going to give me , I think is a stool softener. I'm putting ice on my upper thigh and it has help.
@Wanttobebiking ,yes he used a tourniquet so it's like you said ,that is the worst pain , I put ice almost all night and it has help some. And as soon as I get some of the thick bandages off today I'm going to start icing the knee!
I will keep everyone updated on how things are going ,
Thank you friends.

Lili
 
Hi Lili, I think the tourniquet pain lasted about a week for me. But I can tell you that now at 10 weeks, my thigh is totally pain free. My knee is nearly there as well. The first two weeks were the toughest for me. Be really, really good to yourself, and soon the early weeks will just be a memory.
 
Lili, glad to see you on the recovery side. Regarding your CPM machine, I would ask. Each physician is different, but I was encouraged to slowly move the ext to 0 and the flex upwards with a day 2 goal of 90. I'm still using a 0 and 90.

Happy recovery wishes:flwrysmile:
 
For the first two weeks your main job is to rest and to get rid of the swelling. Tramadol and Norco are a good combo. If the Norco begins to bother you, you can take tramadol with Tylenol. Tylenol is a "booster" drug and it increases the pain relieving effects of Tramadol. You can take a dose of 1000 msg of Tylenol four times a day, but do not exceed that dosage. My husband has a delicate stomach and he tolerates Tramadol well. So, if the upset happens it is mostly likely the Norco.

I have been taking Iron lately and I got nauseous from ferrous gluttonate. I finally started taking a prenatal vitamin with less iron that did not cause nausea. I got the vitamins from Walmart.com---I think they were about $* a bottle. I got the tip from a website on anemia.

When I got home from the hospital, I spent the first two weeks in bed or on the couch with my knee propped up with three pillows. Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice I got up every hour or so to go to the bathroom, get something to drink, etc. But mostly I stayed down. I did a few heel slides, but not much else. It is much more important to get rid of the swelling than to do any exercise. If you want to use the CPM machine, that is enough exercise. (I hated the stilly thing!!!)
If you want to have a home PT, you can wait a week or so or have one come to do GENTLE exercises with you. You cannot bend a swollen knee---and if you allow a PT to try to bend the knee, it will swell more. So, rest is what you need now---especially with anemia. rest and more rest for the first two weeks will help you recover.
 
Like Kelly I did very little the first few weeks. I was in rehab for a week after my release, so I did very little besides walk the halls and go to PT (which was just heel slides, leg raises and stretching). Even when I went home someone did the cooking and cleaning, it wasn't until the end of week 3 into week 4 that I began doing dishes, cooking, and light housework (making bed, vacuuming). I think resting those first weeks is so important. I was so tired, just getting myself ready for the day did me in.
You might find the stool softeners may not do the trick alone. I have never had this problem before or since, but Miralax along with a softener was the only thing that helped. I was eating apples, salads etc., but no relief.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you know what to watch out for. One med they gave me that worked was Vistiril. Just figured I would add my voice to the suggestions. It all gets better!
 
Go Lili go!! Celebrate every daily positive change. Indeed make sure that the pain meds are worked out before leaving the hospital and dont be afraid to say something if it does not feel right.
 
Just keep learning more and more every time I log on here. Didn't even think of tourniquet application would cause pain. Makes sense though. Can't imagine having this surgery without the support of this forum.
Glad you are going home @Lili, hospital is no place to get any rest. Everything sounds good!
 
although the pain did diminish, I could easily locate where the tourniquet band was on my thigh for a couple of weeks. It's part of the reason your quads have likely mostly shut down and need some exercise to re-awaken. Stairs worked for me, once you can bend the knee enough.
 
Hi

Just popped in to congratulate you on your surgery. You seem to be doing really well. These things are perfectly normal and oh that tourniquet discomfort remember it well xx

Just please take it easy in the early stages of recovery xxx
 
Hello !! The upper thigh pain is much better today . Just some redness where the put it but other wise good , i iced it all night and today is much better. Thank you @Glamg1979 , yes isn't this site and everyone here wonderfull?
@gaelan01 , thank you ! I feel better than I expected! I Dont know how its going to be when I get home but for now Im realy happy so far! Ok I stopped writting for some hours , little more pain . Im on Tramadol injectable and Norco 10 mg. Whats a good combination with the Norco?
Thank you all your good thoughts are so welcome an apprecistef. Sorry , if I don't name everyone my medicine is kicking in and I'm a little drowsy right now . More to come !!
 
@Lili, so glad to hear you're feeling better than expected. Continued good recovery wishes!
 
Im a little woried , my hemoglobin dropped from 11.8 when I in to 7.8 this morning ,im on Iron pills but I wouldnt want a transfussion because of the risk of infections, the Dr has not been to see me yet but I was going to get discharged today! :boohoo: So we will see. Anyone know if they would let me go home with those numbers?
 
I have no idea, but @Jamie may know, Josephine and Celle are probably fast asleep now.
 
I believe OS will make good decision as to what next, so don,t worry. For operation three days ago, you seems doing great. Keep rest ice etc good job and you will improve even more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom