Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, you lovely people. I had a good sleep,just waking up for meds. I've woken to a beautiful sunny day and after reading your posts and now thinking rationally instead of emotionally, I know 90 degrees is ok. I had very good bend going into the operation, it was my exension that wasn't good, so I hope to get that good bend back. heidi, your Aussie PT has given me reassurance, and I am sure when I see my lovely James this afternoon he'll do the same. I've been going to him for a year now and I have full faith in him to help me with my new knee. Take care everyone and have a happy day. Your words have truly lifted my spirits. BIG HUGS . Jenny:friends:
 
Oh Jenny Reading about your fall. So glad you protected your knee. I am so clumsy normally, I can just see the same thing happening to me. Rest and ice and elevate and get that knee back to where you were. Please be extra careful and don't fall again. Sending warm, caring thoughts your way. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Cathy. I think its everyone's nightmare falling. The thing is, I get little unstable movements, and that could have been what caused it. The physio said it's the muscles. I suppose everything has to get used to having this new object inside, so I'm adjusting on the outside and things are adjusting on the inside. A good idea I read on someone's thread was to carry something around your neck to hold your phone. In hindsight I wish I'd done that. If you feel like you could be clumsy, then that's definitely the way to go. You've got the big countdown now maddoxsmama. You'll be glad when your day finally arrives, and it's great it was brought forward. Less time to wait. I wish you well on your journey. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
I've had a far better day today. Feel a lot chirpier. Had my physio appt and came away feeling a lot more confident. James was very happy with my progress. He measured 93 degrees flexion and 10% extension. Like he says, we have a starting point and it will only get better from now on. My knee was shouting by the time we'd finished and I'd worked up a sweat, not because of anything vigourous, just the mere trying to do what we were asking the knee to do. He is pushing me gently, and I'm happy with that. We have a "do this 10 times", but if you can't manage it, stop when you feel you've pushed it enough. So all good, and I'll see him next week, but have to do his set of exercises 3 x a day. Hmmm, I bet my knee won't like it, but I'll do my best. Take care and have a great day. Jenny
 
Excellent news! It's so important to have that confidence with your PT and know that he will help you reach your goal. Those exercises will get easier every day. I think about your fall as I make my way around here on my crutches. My new knee feels stable but there is a certain wobble in my thigh that I know could take me down. Much as I'm dying to graduate to one crutch, then a cane, I know I need to get that quad strength first.

Isn't it funny how we can have a really really bad day, but rarely two in a row? I've noticed that over the years, there are days where everything goes wrong and I'm overwhelmed. That is usually followed by a really good day where I look back and think "what was I
worried about?"

Ok enough of Heidi the philosopher....as I finished typing the above I realized I'm overdue for a bad day myself! I better lay low and be humble less I risk the attention of the knee gods :gaah:
 
Jenny, glad to hear you are feeling better today! :snork: How did your knee respond to your PT yesterday? I know that I have had to learn the hard way that just because I can do the 10 reps during PT or hold it just a bit longer, doesn't mean that my knee is ready for me to do so. My measure is in how my knee responds later. Just like the mantra says, if anything causes an increase in swelling or pain listen and slow down. For me, if I've had a particularly hard PT session causing swelling and increased pain in the evening, I may back off on all the home exercises the next day. It's certainly not a set routine, the knee is the boss after all. :heehee:

I hope you are feeling a bit more stable and avoid any more falls in the future. Take it easy my friend and have a great day!
 
Hi Sarah forevergimpy, my knee was not happy last night and it's probably been one of the worst nights I've had after exercise. PT push you that little bit further, where I'd have stopped a few reps before. Sarah it sounds like you've got a pretty good PT. I was interested to see you post that you have 15mins of heat before exercise and then 15mins of ice after exercise. Is it just a heat pad or wheat pack that's used beforehand? Do you think the heat helps you get through the exercises a little easier? We just have to remember the mantra and the knee is the boss and listen to what it's telling us about the day's activity.
Baystater, Heidi I have been walking so carefully since my fall, but after PT yesterday I am going to try not to depend on my walker and use the cane as it does make me concentrate on walking the knee a bit more. He also wants me to walk a little unaided, but I won't do that unless hubby is home, because like you I have those little wobbles because my quad muscle is so weak. PT says it's all to do with the muscles adjusting. There will be no bad days for you Heidi, only good ones! :)
I know we all have had to take blood thinner meds or injections, I finish mine today. Do we still have to wear the tight stockings at night? I hate the damn things. Have a lovely weekend everyone.Looks like we've got a rainy one ahead here in Brisbane. Take care. Hugs to you all. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me Why, Jenny, you mean you don't LOVE these glamorous stockings that never looked like this on any of us? Well, take them off, my dear, and throw them away!!!! There is no definitive proof that they really keep you from getting a blood clot. They help some folks with swelling. If you are up and moving around during the day and also taking time to elevate and ice, you really don't need them.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Me
 
Gosh Jenny you have had a rollercoaster few days.:yikes: Just caught up on your posts and so sorry to hear about your fall that is also one of my great fears I've had a few falls over the years and seem to hurt my bad knee everytime I do so you done well protecting it and glad your little dog was there to give you company until hubby could arrive :puppysmooze: From what everyone is saying 90 is good I think your Doctor is just trying to scare you to make sure your working the knee. They should add a bit more compassion in there as we are all on a emotional rollercoaster ride of our life's.:skep:

Take care :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Jenny,
My doctor told me I didn't have to wear the stocking at all once home from hospital unless I see any swelling in my foot and ankle! I peeled the dam thing off before my first at home shower and haven't worn it since. My ankles have not shown any swelling and my PT checks them at every visit. Bi'm on Coumadin for a full month so maybe that's why the stockings are less important.

Rainy here too, and cold! We have a pretty little lake house about 2 hours north of here and if tomorrow is a sunny day we are going to try to go up for one night. I need to get out of this house!! :hairpulling: I think if we make frequent stops so I can get out of the car and move around I can do it. I'm so grateful for all the help I'm receiving, so grateful that I'm doing well.....but I am so BORED!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Heidi
 
Good morning Jenny, kimejen I am sorry to hear you had a very bad night with pain after your exercises. I know all to well how that goes. :hairpulling: I do love my PT, she is very encouraging and supportive, and we are both trying hard to find the line between too much and too little. My age is both helpful and troublesome in this case I think. Because I am young for this surgery (38) and otherwise healthy, the therapists tend to assume I can do more faster. If it were just up to me, I could, but this new knee of mine has plans of it's own. :heehee: I have PT again today and will tell them that Wed session caused an increase in both pain and swelling and today I need to take it a bit easier. Interestingly enough, both times my PT session caused this I rode the exercise bike with full rotations. They don't hurt exactly, but they aren't easy either. Maybe I'll try to just stretch with the bike today and see what happens.

I am glad you have ditched those TED hose, they are hot and not comfortable to sleep in at all! Be careful with your unaided walking please, no more falling is allowed!

I hope you are feeling a bit better today.
 
Hi Jenny,
I am pleased that you are feeling better after your tumble and that there is no lasting damage done.
It does make you extra careful for a few days.
I hope you have a better night tonight, it is so hard to get the activity level just right. Enough to make progress, not enough to suffer from a major knee tantrum and a setback.
I am glad you are feeling better about your flexion, it sounds marvellous to me for such a very new knee.
Take care and have a great weekend,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance:
 
Never given the compression stockings, my OS believes the more important is movement, ankle pumps every hour in the hospital and encouraged to doaas often at home as well as periodic getting up and walking-- bathroom trips for me as well as elevation/ice.

In addition, I was on Xarelto the new (available about 2yrs) for blood thinner. Most wonderful, take for 2 weeks starting in hospital at same time of day but then you are done- no blood draws and no injections. I knew about Coumadin-- I was surprised to keep reading about injectable blood thinners. I am not scared of needle sticks but this was really nice since also this drug does not vary the thinness of your blood. I was happy to be on it- one less thing to worry about or deal with.

Interesting to hear of the different protocols in this country (USA) and elsewhere.
 
Heidi Baystater. I know what you mean about the boredom. I am just feeling inclined to start reading again. I am amazed at how the time manages to go by and all I accomplish is my exercises. Toothfairy and Jetthugger have been doing crafty things, knitting and crocheting to pass the time away. I've completed the scrapbooking I wanted to do. I haven't knitted for about 30 years but thought I might try and knit something small to start like some booties/mittens for our first grandchild, due in Aug. Do you like to do anything like that? Trouble with most of us is we keep fulltime jobs and with running a home we are always busy. Suddenly we have come to a full stop and it is very difficult to be in a position like this. So like others here, we should try and do something we never really get a chance to do, to pass the time away. I hope it is sunny so you can get away to the lakehouse. Our rain has set in for today, so the dog (oh here comes one of the cats) and I are chilling out in bed, and hubby has taken my Mum to the craft shop as she needs wool and I told him to come back with a few balls of wool for me, and see how I go. You'll probably hear me cursing in Massachusetts!!!
Lee leejaa I was also on Xarelto but I didn't realize it was one of the newer blood thinners.
I still have a lot of trouble with the leg lifts, but I have had a little win these last few days with being able to lift my foot a few inches off the floor/bed. My knee screams :yikes: and I am sure I can feel every bit of nut and bolt in there, but I am doing it and that's another step forward. Anyway, I will go and do some exercises :groan: and will probably be back here soon, whilst resting with an icepack. Whatever you get to do today. Have a good day. Big hugs to you all. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny, I was on Xarelto too, I was pleased not to have daily jabs.
Congratulations with your progress with leg lifts. Once things start to progress you can build on that.
Good luck with your knitting. I hope you enjoy it, for me it has been so enjoyable to pick up an old skill and have the time to just sit and knit without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else. I love the permission to sit and chill. So different from my normal life when I have little time to sit down and when I do I am usually so tired that I just veg in front of the TV.
Have a great day, hope you didn't overdo the exercises. On the subject of the stockings I was told to wear them for 6 weeks. I know the evidence base is not strong but I didn't mind them so decided to do as I was told. Six weeks today so no more stockings. It will be interesting to see if my leg feels any different. It is a bit scary stopping after so long. :yikes:
I must go and do my exercises now,
Hugs Toothfairy x :dancy: :happydance:
 
Hi Toothfairy. Hubby got a bit carried away in the craft shop (with mother's help of course). Came back with a few balls of wool "well I liked the colours" was his excuse!! Anyway, I might love it and get completely carried away. Our weather here in Brisbane is not for knitting, but it's cooling down now, so should be perfect. Hubby even came back with a bootie pattern book, so I've started a pair of little tiny booties, but trust me to pick one with a bit of a pattern. Few curses, but amazing how you never really forget. Quite enjoying it. You and Alison are getting us bonesmarties motivated. Thank you. Exercises not too bad. Leg lifted a little higher. Knee still shouted out, but hopefully each day will be better. Little uncomfortable at night, few muscles not happy and I toss and turn a bit, but as the knee gets stronger, I hope that improves. Have a great day today. Hugs Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jenny, Knitting already! What a good husband and mum. What colours did they buy?
It is ideal weather for knitting here, chilly and grey.
Bootees are fiddly but satisfyingly quick. I am struggling a bit with my latest cardi, I don't know if it is me or the pattern but I had an increase row last night that I just couldn't get right. I was back and forward but I conquered it in the end. Moving on to the cable today which should be fine.
I have done all my morning exercises and 12 km on my exercise bike so I am just icing my leg. Of for a shower and to get on with my day.
Have a great day,
Toothfairy x :spin: :yes: :wink:
 
Hi Jenny, Knitting already! What a good husband and mum. What colours did they buy?
It is ideal weather for knitting here, chilly and grey.
Bootees are fiddly but satisfyingly quick. I am struggling a bit with my latest cardi, I don't know if it is me or the pattern but I had an increase row last night that I just couldn't get right. I was back and forward but I conquered it in the end. Moving on to the cable today which should be fine.
I have done all my morning exercises and 12 km on my exercise bike so I am just icing my leg. Of for a shower and to get on with my day.
Have a great day,
Toothfairy x :spin: :yes: :wink:

12km? Like seriously? And you call me wonder woman! :rotfl: Your exercise regime puts me to shame TF :blush: :bow:
Fx :bicycle2:
 
Quite happy with the first bootie and onto the second.There's mittens and a bonnet to go with the booties, but I'll go onto the mittens and then try the bonnet. I'm doing it in newborn size, as from September it will start to heat up and no woollen things will be worn by anybody!! Just baby pastel colours he bought. Quite like the mixed colour ball. Started with white. Toothfairy - cable, that's a challenge, but it will be beautiful. My exercises are causing me concern. The lifting one and the trying to move the leg a little backwards to get flexion - they bring tears to my eyes every time. I am not pushing it, just a few (3-5 at times), it's very gentle but I am finding it so difficult to do. My knee feels so stiff. After the exercises I don't feel so bad, but within a short period of time the knee feels stiff and swollen again. I am following the mantra inbetween time. At night I constantly wake to a really dead feeling leg and I have to get up and walk. I hope this is normal? I feel a bit anxious with this at the moment. I now only use the cane, and try lifting the cane from time to time and free walking, which I'm doing quite well with only a little limp. My husband keeps reminding me that it's not quite 3 weeks! Anyway, I'm going to try what Sarah forevergimpy does in her PT sessions - heat beforehand and see if that helps with the exercises. Might do the trick. Take care and have the best day you can. Hugs. Jenny :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom