Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a temptation to overdo when having a good visit - we learn though. As far as getting leg into bed and doing leg lifts and even heel slides-- my hospital provided a strap that is long enough to put under the foot and hold both pieces with one hand so you can support the leg as you hold it straight and get it up into bed. This is the same strap I would put under my foot and hold tight and help lift the leg and assist in hold at first and even assist with heel slides. It was awesome because you have more control and your other muscles start getting used to the motion without the extra stress on the new knee. I know I have seen other advice that you can use a belt or a long piece of material. I was also at home alone after the first week as my husband also left at 6am and did not get home till about 530p. It is quite doable once you get everything in place before he leaves for the day. Are you going to have home PT-- I did so 3x/wk someone would stop by. I live in the country without any close neighbors but if you have some close neighbors maybe one of them can just stop in and say hi in case you need something. The one other word of advice is one from my home PT who told me to make sure I had a phone with me at all times if sitting and if getting up to go to the bathroom or kitchen. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
 
My visiting PT said she was surprised they didn't send me home with a leg lifter from the hospital. My husband is going to make one for me today. I think that will help a lot! I have some helpful neighbors and though I don't know them well (we only moved here a few years ago and the houses are all kind of far apart) several have said they'd be happy to do anything they can. I also have some great books sitting here waiting to be read! Good thinking on the phone. I need to keep essentials in a bag I can keep close by or slung over my shoulder even as I journey into the kitchen or bathroom.
 
Don't be surprised if you do not have the concentration to do any of the usual type of reading you like or even watch movies that you have been waiting for. I think it was the meds and the knee recovering taking energy and making me brain mush- I could only handle silly TV shows and it actually worked since if I dozed off it did not matter. Just a warning that it is normal. It took me about 4 wks to start reading my usual books. The knee will dictate to some degree what we feel like doing.
 
My husband came up with the simplest leg lifter for me - he took an old braided leather belt (the braiding allows the buckle to be placed anywhere) and buckled it towards the bottom so it is essentially a strap with about an 6 inch loop at the end. I just slip the loop over my foot and lift and place my leg anywhere I want it. Perfect! So many great ways to improvise at home.

Speaking of home, my little dog is home. :puppysmooze: It's so nice to have her home it is starting to feel like normal around here. Well except for the crutches, walker, pillows, pill bottles in the kitchen.... :)

She is a jumpy little Jack Russell Terrier but she is terrified of crutches so I just keep them around me as a warning.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Heidi
 
Heidi I also improvised with a purse strap. Sometimes purses come with two straps--a regular length and a shoulder strap. I just adjusted the shoulder strap with a small loop at the end and I think it is going to work perfectly. I also have a yoga strap but it does not have a loop in the end but might be useful to help with some of the stretches and exercises. Oh--the things we do for our knees!! :heehee: :heehee:
 
Two weeks post op and the leg still needs help. Thank you for your strap tips. leejaa I can't believe how mushy my brain has become and I really don't want to do anything. I love reading and am just not interested. Couldn't be bothered to watch daytime tv. Watch a bit at night. Just do the exercises and rest, walk around house, rest, shower, rest, toilet rest. Can't believe this is my life at present. A neighbour phoned and asked if I'd like a game of Scrabble. I couldn't think of anything worse at the moment - I don't think I'm capable of correct spelling at the moment, so declined. Feel a bit down in the dumps today. Go back to OS for 2 week post op check tomorrow. Just been doing exercises hospital physio gave me to do at home and told me to do this week and then to go see my own physoterapist, so I have an appt.on thursday, so will see how I'm going then. I am amazed at how much home PT support a lot of you receive. I seem to be left very much to my own devices, and this is with a good Private Health Insurance! My knee was bent for a good year,so now the muscles/ligaments are being stretched, I get a dull ache on the outer side of my knee going up my thigh. Trying to massage it a little, which does help. Great that there's no arthritic pain anymore. Just this swollen, stiff knee. Take care everyone. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
I also had mush brain for many many weeks. Could not read or watch anything really good. I think the daytime TV was on for company as I was home alone all day but I would fall asleep on and off and nap and it did not matter. It does pass as you feel better and are able to take less pain meds--but do not stop pain meds just to avoid mush brain. I kept reading the forum entries and felt like I had company on my journey.

It must be really hard not having any home PT support--we cannot really do much at this stage but it was nice to have someone reinforce that. I know from other bonesmarties that England does not usually do much home PT either and they have good results. I do not think it will matter much in the long run - it just takes time and especially if your knee was bent for a while- it does get painful to have it relearn. Pretty normal to feel punky getting through this. I know you will get to the other side one step at a time. Keep icing and elevating. The swelling will go down and the stiffness will fade -it is not a race this recovery but well worth it to get rid of that awful arthritic bone pain. We are all here for you.
 
Good morning Jenny,
I have just been catching up with you. Sorry to hear you are feeling blue. It happens to all of us.
I think it is the whole package that causes the blues, surgical trauma, post op pain and discomfort, pain meds, lack of mobility, poor sleep, slow progress etc.
If you think back you will realise that even though it is early days you have made a lot of progress already.
You will regain your concentration and be able to enjoy those books. Just give yourself permission to rest and recuperate. Be kind to yourself and maybe have a treat, chocolate, cake? I find a little walk outside always makes me feel better.
Hope your 2 week post op check goes well. Hang on in there, you are doing really well,
Keep smiling and chase those blues away,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :)
 
I know exactly how you're feeling Jenny. I have mostly good moments (not great, but I know this is all temporary so I can handle it.) but I do have a fair share of blue moments when the tears really threaten. Last week being the first week home I was practically euphoric. My husband was home and I had someone to help with everything. He went back to work this week and reality came crashing in.. :cry: He leaves the house at 6 which means I have to get up at 5:30 so he can help me down the stairs. Once he leaves it's a long day. And like you my brain just won't do anything more than recreational reading and TV viewing. Here is the US we have a channel called HGTV (Home and GardennTelevision - maybe you have it in Australia?) Just fluffy shows about home decor. That is the most my brain can handle! :groan:

I keep thinking "get through April, it will get better after April.". I really think after reading all the various threads on BS that after the 4 week mark we really do start to feel human again.

You know I think the reason why we here in the US get home care is it's the cheapest alternative for the insurance companies. Far cheaper to send us home and then arrange home visits than to pay the cost of an in patient rehab stay. And with the visiting nurse checking things less costly trips back to the emergency room at the hospital. I'm not complaining- I love being home and getting home care but I know the insurance companies are doing it for cost saving reasons.
 
Thank you all for your kind words. What a day I have had today, and it's only half way through for me!!! I did a Toothfairy today - fell. Was in the kitchen & just washed up my breakfast bowl and was turning, lost my footing for some reason, could feel myself off balance and started to try and get balance but just came crashing down on my left side (protected my RTKR thank goodness). One good thing was the fall was balanced to the whole of the left side so I don't have a particular sore area, just jarred the whole body. Even though the TKR leg was protected, I know I've got some soft tissue damage because it's a bit tender. Big problem, I couldn't get up, there was nothing I could hang on to to creep my way up. So I just lay there sobbing, dog was beside himself, on top of me licking me he didn't know what to do. After about 10 mins I had to think of getting to the phone, which was on the other side of the bench, so had to get onto my rump and slide. Managed to reach the phone and call hubby to come home and lift me up. Thankfully our office is only 10mins away. Managed to have half an hour of icing and rest before getting ready to go to OS for post op appointment.
I have come home so deflated, water works will not stop. He was very pleased with his handiwork, healing beautifully. Told me it was early days but I was doing well. Stretched my leg out, all good, bent my knee, and it only goes to 90 degrees and after the fall it is quite sore getting to that. He was not happy with that flexion. Said he wanted to see me in 4 weeks and there had better be considerable improvement otherwise he will be giving me MUA to break the scar tissue. "You had 120 degrees on the operating table" he said. So way to go Doc, as if I wasn't having a bad day already, you really made my day!!! After reading all about MUA here on BS I know that is totally not the right thing. I have 4 weeks of physiotherapy in this time, so hopefully I can improve. So I will try not to cross my bridges before I get there just keep trying and see how I go in that time. I'm going to go ice and elevate now, rest my shocked body. Tomorrow is another day (and it better be a good one or else!!). Hugs to all. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
I am so sorry your day has gone so poorly. I so feared a fall especially with the snow but thankfully didn't. I can't imagine falling and being alone and not able to get up. I actually can see my dog acting in a similar fashion. He just would have been beside himself. Isn't it so sweet that they care so much for us.

So many have 90 flexion at your time frame and later and end up with great flexion. I so wish they didn't make us feel so bad about it and worry us so much. Making us feel bad does not add to an already frustrating recovery. Sorry he made you feel bad. I mean a statement of 120 degrees is so crazy, we all have that and we all loose it. We have suffered a major surgery and the swelling takes quite a while to come down so that we can even begin to start gaining flexion. Relax, rest, ice, medicate, elevate. More often it comes but I don't think 4 wks is a realistic time frame to get to 120. I just got there at 3 1/2 months.
 
Was in the kitchen ........ lost my footing for some reason, could feel myself off balance and started to try and get balance but just came crashing down on my left side .............. Big problem, I couldn't get up, there was nothing I could hang on to to creep my way up. So I just lay there sobbing, dog was beside himself, on top of me licking me ............ After about 10 mins I had to think of getting to the phone, ... so had to get onto my rump and slide. Managed to reach the phone and call hubby to come home and lift me up.

Josephine has quite the story to tell about falling in her garden. Here
Something that happens to all of us eventually.

Hope you are feeling better!
 
My dear Jenny, you poor girl. :cry:
I know it is not a competition but your fall was much worse than mine because you were home alone, well nearly alone, I am pleased you had the dog to comfort you. :puppysmooze:
I can't imagine how scary it was for you to lie and know you couldn't get yourself up. :yikes:
I expect you gave your husband quite a fright too.
I am sure from what you said that no permanent damage will be done. You will probably be a bit bruised and stiff for a day or two.
Did you tell your OS about your fall?
I think you were marvellous getting to your appointment so soon after your traumatic experience.
I really would not worry about your ROM. When I saw the physio at two weeks I only reached 75. I would have been thrilled with 90.
When I saw the physio at 4 weeks I reached 110. Ok it is not 120 but as long as it is improving. I am going again next Tuesday and am not sure there will be any improvement but I will not be worrying.
Remember it is your body and up to you what happens. The OS may suggest a MUA but you don't have to agree.
Forget about it for now. Allow yourself a day or two of feeling sorry for yourself, you have earned it. Rest, ice, elevate and pamper. Once you have done that you can pick yourself up and get on with your recovery.
Take care, you will be fine. You survived your tumble and life goes on.
Sending you a comforting hug and a sunny smile to brighten your day,
Your sympathetic friendly Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Thank you Toothfairy. I did give hubby a fright, poor man. Thank you for your reassurance. You're right about it being my body and I'll decide what I'll do with it. I think my OS must have been having a bad day. He was running late too which he wouldn't have been happy about. I did tell him I'd had a fall, but that I protected my knee. Anyway, I've had my cry for the day, now I am a bit cross with him and want to go belt his knee with a hammer and when its swollen ask him why he can't give me 120 degree flexion!!! I have a few aches and pains coming through now that I've relaxed, but I'll be fine, it'll just take a few days. Your body gets a big fright at our age when we fall, so it's in shock mode. You have a great day today. :thankyou: Jenny
 
Oh Jenny, big hugs to you from your gimpy friend on the other side if the world! What a scary experience and then to follow it up with a doctor visit that makes you feel even worse - awful! Geez I think 90 degrees at two weeks is totally normal and it isn't a competition for heaven's sake. I love the image of pounding on your doc's knee with that hammer - keep that one in mind and it will put a smile on your face :) Heck it put a smile on my face!

And I'm glad that through the fright of the fall your little dog was there. They are good friends these little dogs :puppysmooze: our doctors could learn a thing or two about compassion from them!

Rest, ice, elevate, be kind to yourself - and if I were you I'd treat myself to a nice big dish of ice cream!

You hang in there,
Heidi
 
Thanks Heidi. I've had a quiet rest of the day. Walking very tentatively - feel like I've gone backwards in recovery now. But I'll have as best a sleep as I can tonight and tomorrow is another day and can only be better than the one I've had today. I hope all is going well with you. Hugs. Jenny :friends:
 
Jenny I am so sorry to hear you had a fall! I am so glad you were able to protect your surgical side however! You are right in the think of this roller coaster ride for sure. My home PT also had me worried at two weeks at my flexion - I was only at 78. But I gained flexion when the staples came out and out patient PT started. I didn't do anything special to gain it, but the staples coming out and loss of some of the swelling were huge helps.

I can understand your need for a good cry. If it were me, I probably would have done that right in the doctor's office, and then I'd cry even harder due to embarrassment. I hope that you are taking it very easy and have that leg up and iced for the rest of your day.

((HUGS))
 
Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I can't imagine falling and then not being able to get up, thank God your office is so close and you were able to get to the phone! I think 90 degrees flexion is great at only 2 weeks and you'll be gaining more as the swelling goes down. I hope you are not too sore today and had some kind of special treat-you deserve it. Big hugs to you and praying the rest of your recovery goes much more smoothly!

Kim :console2:
 
I hope today is a better day for you. No matter what OS says--90 is a great number for a few weeks out. Keep you chin up!
 
Jenny, my physical therapist just left (a very nice woman from Australia!) and she worked on my flexion. She was very encouraging and she said that at 2 weeks most people are at 90, but to just keep pushing it a little farther, holding it so the knee and leg relax and don't fight it. She also said the knee is still very new (no pun intended :) and there is still a lot of inflammation from such an invasive surgery? My hunch is once you start working with a PT you will see gains.

I know tomorrow will be a better day for you!

Heidi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom