TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the new knee Jenny, :yay: I hope you managed to get some sleep last night and I image they will be getting you up and moving this morning. :dancy: it will be very interesting to read about your recovery as we should get similar advice. take care :spin: :happydance: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you to you all for your wonderful words of encouragement. Didn't get much sleep. Very attentive nursing staff constantly checking. Saw the OS first thing this am and he made me laugh by saying that the physioterrorist would see me today. :groan: Feeling very confined to bed, drip attached, catheter in until Thurs. In hosp for 4-5 days. Leg feeling a bit achey, but no pain. When I move my feet the muscles right up my leg are sore. Thigh where torniquet was, pretty sore. Nausea under control and managing a bit of food. Prunes on the menu for brekkie so have had them with some yoghurt. Lots of fruit and veg on the menu so will keep the bowels in check.Not too fussed on doing a poop in a bedpan, but thankfully no urges yet!!:shocked: Will go on pump meds today and they say it can make you nauseas - so that won't be fun. Am on Panadol (paracetamol) and Targon which is a long release pain killer. Never heard of it but its doing the trick. Very tired but doing well. Glad to hear Alison & Sarah are doing well. Hugs to you all. Jenny :thankyou:
 
You sound so happy and positive - love it! Can feel my blood pressure go down when I read posts like these...
Now if I can just stay away from those scary videos on YouTube I'll be OK :scary: Thanks for the posts Jenny, keep up the good work!
Heidi
 
Well done Jenny!! Get that nausea sorted & enjoy your first walk on your shiny new knee!! :egypdance: :dancy: :happydance: It's the first of many milestones and feels sooo good afterwards! Little accomplishments (to those who don't know), are major leaps forward for us bonesmarties!! Take it easy & be kind to yourself, you've been through a lot & now need rest & recovery. Sending big hugs your way!! :friends:
 
So glad everything is going smoothly for you Jenny! :yay: You were probably on hourly observations through the night so hopefully that gets reduced today so you can get a bit of sleep. I hope they get nausea under control you have enough to worry about without that! I would be interested to know if they giving you ice to help with the swelling? I will take note of the Targon too . Planning on packing some prunes just in case. :snork:
Good luck with the physioterrorist and your first test drive of your knee :yikes: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Yeah.....it's over! It's such a great feeling when you don't have to worry about the actual surgery, isn't it? What a relief! Now it's time to take it easy and give that new knee some time to recover! Easy does it! You'l be up and around in no time at all! Congratulations!!
 
The bear went over the mountain and so did your old achey and creaking knee. Welcome to the new side of the mountain with your brand new knee. I like to think of us as very lucky people to be given the chance at being pain free and be able to enjoy the normal everyday avtivities of life. I promise you that is great on the other side. Hang in and I hope you have a great recovery. Laura
 
The physioterrorist was a beautiful, kind Irish lass who was very gentle, let me take my time and didn't push me too far. I'll be having a word with that OS of mine calling her that!!!! Anyway, I didn't find it at all easy, in fact my leg feels like I'm lifting a tonne of concrete. While lying down there is no way I can lift it. It is heavily bandaged and very constricting. They will debulk it tomorrow, and I hope that will help my knee. Only then can I get ice, but I will get ice. Relief. Bit painful today, after getting up and about, but I was onto them about the meds, and I have another pain reliever being given 4 hourly now instead of 6 which is much better. I have quite a cocktail going on over here, but they each work their magic. Nursing staff know what works together and we're just getting the timing right. Not too worried about the leg, I'll lift it when it's ready. Physiotherapist is not worried so that's good enough for me. Tomorrow is another day. Nausea gone, appetite back and that's a plus for me. Thanks for your messages. Jenny :SUNsmile:
 
Good news Jenny. Im sure you will feel better when the bandages come off and just a waterproof plaster on. Even then ankle pumps are enough exercises for now keep that blood circulating. Rest and meds more important just now. Nice to know the staff are helping you keep regular with that. Physio sounds lovely. Lifting the leg will come and icing will help get the swelling down once the bandages are off. Have a lovely restful day.
 
Sounds like you're making great progress, and the staff has you comfortable. Glad that the pain is under control and that awful nausea is gone baby gone! :puppysmooze: Thanks again for your posts - they really help this scaredy cat half way around the world...
Rest up and continue to feel better!
 
Sounds like your doing well Jenny and staff are looking after you. :friends: I hope you get a bit of shut eye tonight :sleep: thanks for posting take care :flwrysmile:
 
Big, big day today. OS was in at 7am. Took the dressing off. Looks good. Got a sort of spongey net dressing over the incision which isn't very long. All internal stitches. Getting the leg in and out of bed is the hardest thing at present. Did some walking in the walker. Had a shower (oh bliss). Exhausted by the time I got back into bed. Knee very swollen, and hubby said it was very bruised at the back. I got ice, which has been wonderful. Pain is under control, so no worries there. Don't realize how much it takes out of you. HAPPY EASTER weekend everybody, and I hope the easter bunny drops by. So sorry Miss J about your mishap. Good luck Baystater for tomorrow. You'll do great. Take care and big hugs to you all. Jenny :kittykiss:
 
Jenny -You sound like you are doing beautifully! If I'm at all nervous tomorrow before we leave for the hospital I will reread your posts forntheir calming influence! Especially the no pain part.
Question about taking a shower - were you able to wash your hair? And if so did you have to just let it air dry or could you use a hair dryer? Call me vain but I worry about my hair. :hairpulling: I always feel better when I look better! I've even packed a little make up, ha ha!
Happy Easter!
Heidi
 
Glad your doing so well Jenny :yay: and you got some ice :dancy: You will have to post a picture of your scare when you are up to it! you have such a positive atitude I hope I can do it when I get my turn :egypdance:
 
Jenny -You sound like you are doing beautifully! If I'm at all nervous tomorrow before we leave for the hospital I will reread your posts forntheir calming influence! Especially the no pain part.
Question about taking a shower - were you able to wash your hair? And if so did you have to just let it air dry or could you use a hair dryer? Call me vain but I worry about my hair. :hairpulling: I always feel better when I look better! I've even packed a little make up, ha ha!
Happy Easter!
Heidi

I'm a bit like you Heidi but I have a feeling I'm not going to care and I'm guessing standing at the mirror won't be very comfortable. :groan: You can let me know if it's worth packing the hair dryer and make up! :egypdance: All the best for your Op tomorrow! :flwrysmile:
 
Well Kathy, I packed mascara, lipstick and earrings! I will probably look at them while in the hospital and think what the heck was I thinking?? :hissy: I just talked to a friend and she cracked me up telling me years ago when she had her first child she put her hair up in curlers an hour after the delivery. Her husband was a doctor in the hospital and she said everybody would know who she was so she wanted to look good!
Hey, it just occurred to me 24 hours from now I will be over the hump and on the post op side of this adventure. I just might shed some tears of happiness in the recovery room like our Jenny! :angel:
 
Okay Ladies, call us vain or whatever but my makeup is on my list to take to the hospital too! :wink:
 
Jenny it sounds like things are going incredibly well for you! So happy for you! :flwrysmile:

Ladies the only thing I would recommend bringing is some dry shampoo and lotion. I don't think you will be worrying about makeup but the dry shampoo was truly helpful to me. I used that and some lip gloss on my third day. Before that I was to nauseous and in pain to care.
 
Being GOOD FRIDAY its been pretty quiet in the hosipital. Few people dishcarged today, but I only see my OS tomorrow and he'll probably decide then when I go home. Beautiful bruising coming out now, around the back of my knee is the worst. Family says I'm walking better with the walker today. I feel more confident using it and consciously walking heel, toe. Got a bit of clicking going on in there. Is that normal. Have to assist my leg in and out of bed, and the worst is the moment I get my leg over the side of the bed and it just dangles there for a moment. That takes my breath away. Once I get up and start walking I'm fine. Had a few friends visit today which cheered me up. Got to say, each day is better than the last. Big hug to you all. Jenny :kittykiss:
 
kimejen, Sounds like everything sounds good. I was told that the clicking is normal. I'm glad you are feeling better with your walking. Remember to Rest, Elevate, Ice, and take pain pills around the clock as prescriped. Welcome to this side to where recover can happen. Please keep us informed how you are doing and when you are going home. take care. Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom