TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shelly! I hope everything's okay with you. Haven't heard from you in weeks! Is it the Facebook syndrome where you just get tired of it? That I understand.
 
SHELLY WHERE ARE YOU??????????????? REALLY MISSING YOU. PLEASE DROP BY AND SAY HELLO AND LET US ALL KNOW YOU ARE OK AND STILL RECOVERING WELL. TAKE CARE/
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
WE REALLY ARE VERY VERY SAD.
 
Hi everyone! Sorry that I was gone for so long without a word. My hubby had given me some **** about how me bonding with you folks was making me focus on my knee too much and I was not going to get better if all I did was think about it. So I made a deal that I could stay off of here and prove I would still have the same issues. I won.

I am now done with PT, though I sometimes feel I wish I could still be going. Insurance limits won't allow it though. I am still having a lot of stiffness with the knee. It still swells when I am active. However, I can honestly say that I am glad that I did it. It still aches once in a while and it still takes a bit to get moving at first but it is a lot better than it was pre-surgery. I am trying to do some exercises but I know I should be doing more than I am. I am now 5 months post-op so I am almost halfway there. I am looking forward to the spring/summer and being outdoors. I have been able to take my doggies for a couple walks already.

I do still get that stupid bone pain once in a while which is the worst part of it all. I had to take pain killers again last week for 2 days because it would not give up. But, this week I have stopped taking everything, including the anti-inflamatory meds I was taking and I seem to be doing well. I really need to work on stretching my leg muscles because I am finding that one of my biggest problems is that the muscles on the back of my leg are very tight and do not like to relax all the way. I do not have full extension. I am working on that though.

I hope all of you buddies are doing well!
 
Shelly. heyyyyy really good to hear from you. I guess your hubby was right in a little way. I think sometimes we can become obsessed with our TKR and having a break from the forum does us no harm. I'm glad you are progressing well. Good to hear you are off all the meds. Something I haven't achieved yet but not because of my TKR knee it's the other knee bothering me. I know I will have to get it done but am trying to get the other one sorted first. It was so nice to wake up and see your name on the forum again. Keep exercising with the doggies and I'm sure you will find a big difference at the six month mark. Take care and lovely to hear from you
 
Hey Shelly good to hear from you again. I hear you on the stiffness, I am 7 mos out and still get it. I guess within time things will improve. I think we feel more as we both do not have perfect extension yet. Hugs!
 
I am appreciating the comments about the stiffness. I am almost 6 months out. I still feel tightness at times and get inflammation, but it's all in the healing/recovery. And walking without pain is the reward.
 
Shelly! You are found! I think dwelling on your problems is not a good thing but sheesh! It's hard not to think about a knee replacement. I'll tell you what tho I'm thinking of it less and less. I think this is the point where we start thinking it should be finished but were only half baked. We have another six months to go! :puppysmooze: So hang in there!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
So glad you're back, Shelly! Of course, you won!!! You knew what was going on---he only thought he did. It really does keep improving---but it does take a loooonnnnggg time.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
 
Boy this rain is out to get me today!:groan: The past two days have been gloomy and rainy and the knee sure knows it! :cry: I had to make the hubby massage the back of my leg and then take a hot bath last night just to be able to walk and sleep. Today it's back to being ouchie again.:headbang: Looks like I am going to have to go back on the anti-inflammatory meds afterall. Figures! :hairpulling:
 
Need advice! Maybe Josephine can help..???
I'm officially 6 months post op yesterday. For the past week my lower leg, ankle and foot on my TKR side has been really swollen. I haven't been on it more than usual and it seems to only be on the left and not the right. Is this common with TKRs? It is so swollen my tighter shoes do not fit. Please help!
 
I can't imagine why this should have happened. Usually it would be because of being on your feet for a long period at work or something similar. After six months I would wonder if it's anything to do with your knee but as it's only that leg, that would seem to be the case. You're absolutely sure you've not done anything more active or been on your feet more? Not twisted it or banged it?

You don't say if there is any pain involved.
 
There is no pain at all. It is just swollen. It starts in the knee a little which I have had off and on since the surgery so to me that is normal but this past week it has spread down from the knee into the calf, ankle and foot. If it was in both feet I would think that maybe I am just retaining water and had too much salt but the fact that it is only in the TKR leg and it has lasted a week now I am thinking it has more to do with the knee and not the salt/water issue. I just put a call into the medical assistant at my OS office so maybe they will know what it could be. Who knows?? I am just weird I suppose... :shrug:
 
With unexplained new swelling, I'd be tempted to call my doctor.
 
I don't pay close attention to genders on here, but certain posts scream "male" or "female" and yours screams "female" because you say "I am just weird." Honey, you're not weird. This surgery is weird!! It's not your fault! lol
 
Shelly, I finally found you, missed you lots kiddo! Sorry to hear that you're getting lots of swelling, and I agree with Mary, you are not weird! Have you been eating a lot of salty foods by any chance? I asked that because that happens to me if I eat a lot of salty foods, I retain water which just swells me right up! Check your BP as well, cause that's apt to affect it! I hope you find the cause, because it is very uncomfortable! Again I agree with Mary, you might want to give your doc a call! Nice to see you back! Please let us know how you make out with the swelling, we care my friend!
 
So, the assistant called me back and said that it could be nothing or it could be something very serious so I really need to get it checked out. I have an appointment on Monday afternoon. Fingers crossed that it is nothing!
 
Ok, so I went to the OS today and he took X-rays and moved my legs around and such and said all was fine and looked good with the knee so whatever is going on is not related to my knee. He said he thinks that both feet were swollen but the TKR leg had more because of the previous trauma it has endured. He said to reduce the salt, elevate the feet and wear compression hose for a while and see it that helps. I don't think I am happy with the "wait and see" approach but what else can I do? So, here I am waiting...Let's see...
:umm::what: :whistle:
 
No, this is good. The things he mentioned might just take care of it and if they don't you can proceed to the next level of treatment. Sometimes these things actually go away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom