TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it has been a while, again... but I thought I would give you all an update. I was still having the swelling and it was really bothering me, not painful, just annoying, so I went to my PCP to see if he knew what might be causing it. I also talked to him about other things I have been dealing with and it turns out that all of them were releated to each other! I was having acid reflux really bad and some bowel movement issues (don't want to get too detailed! :sick:) in addition to the swelling. It turns out that the NSAID I was using (Diclofenac, AKA Voltaren) was causing an ulcer in my stomach and because of that it was also causing my kidney to not function properly sending fluid down the leg swelling it up. He told me to stop that RX immediately and gave me some Prilosec to calm the tummy issues down and within a day and a half the swelling was gone! Unfortunately, I have to go without any NSAIDs for at least 2 weeks and then he gave me a lower dose one to try if I need it (WHICH I DEFINITELY DO!) so I have been very achy for the past few days now. He said if I had gone much longer I could have had a bleeding ulcer and then I would never be able to have NSAIDs again. Good thing I went to see him! So, let this be a lesson to you, if you have any unusual symptoms, talk with your doctor because they could be related without even knowing it.
 
I cannot take NSAIDS myself becuz of my Crohns Disease. But I hear so often of others getting similar issues becuz of taking so many of them. Glad you got things figured out and your tummy is feeling better. Hopefully the new med will work and not upset your tummy any further. Hugs!
 
Maybe you could try voltaren gel. That's what my doc gave me after my ulcer.
 
Well, let's see if the new stuff works or not. If not, then I will check out the gel. I was hoping to come off of the stuff anyway but after being off for only a few days, I know I am not ready yet.
 
I use Voltaren Jel, it works great.
My OS said to use less than they recommend. If I use the maximum daily dose it upsets my stomach.
Good Luck!
 
Welcome back Shubbles! I am so glad you didn't get the bleeding ulcer! Seems like we don't realize how much our NSAIDS help until we have to go off them! I have the Voltaren gel but I don't see any improvement with it.
I take Celebrex and I sure miss it when I try to get by without it.
Stick around my dear!
 
I love Voltaren Gel, it works so fast. But alas, I found out from my GI, I am not supposed to use it, becuz it "could" leech into my system and affect my Crohns. I won't lie, I still use it once in awhile. It works too well!
 
The symptoms of NSAID reactions can be tricky to spot - I had a major reaction to voltaren which caused my liver to become inflamed and to stop working properly. At first the doctor thought i had liver cancer

Hope you find a med that you can tolerate
 
I would like to wish a very happy birthday to someone very special to me. Today is the first birthday of my left knee! For the first few months I thought I would regret my decision. However, I can honestly say it was one of the best choices I've ever made. I can walk and bowl and get around a whole lot more than before. Is it perfect? No but it was worth it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
Shubbles, to your left knee! So happy for you that time has made it all worthwhile and life is better with a new knee!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom