Guest viewing is limited

THR New hip, new beginning.

Hi @Minnie15, Jenny

Pleased to hear you are doing well! I am totally in agreement with the walking philosophy - it worked for me last time and is doing likewise this time around. I am walking 12000 steps most days, so not going too mad!

I also seeing a chiropractor every couple of weeks and she has been brilliant and given me some (gentle ...) exercises to do.

I can't remember the last time I used a stick or took any meds. I have no swelling or pain and am fine driving. I drove 350 miles on Sat/Sun, up to Lancs and back and stopped every hour or so to stretch my legs. That was ok too and I was particularly pleased, as I was driving my wife's car. Hers is manual and mine is automatic

What are you doing at Uni? Is it full/part time?

Cheltenham is great this time of year. It's the Literature Festival in October and we have just received the brochure. There are lots of people I would like to see and our aim is to complete a wish list by Sunday night, to ensure we can place our order when the box office opens next week!

Pretty busy with gigs, but am having the first week in September off to go to Portugal in search of relaxation, seafood, music and fun

With best wishes and keep it up!
Peter
 
It is so good to hear from you @Minnie15 and to hear such a positive update. I'm glad to know you are feeling a lot better! Isn't it fantastic to be able to walk around again with no Pain? Amazing really. It sounds like your schedule will be getting much busier soon but by then you will be ready for it. At my 2 month checkup, my OS told me the hip will just keep getting better and better which was nice to hear.

I am doing very well, too. I never did do much with exercises so I missed out on the extra aches and pains so many seem to have but I'm getting more range of motion and my hip is doing great. I sometimes forget that I have an artificial one so no complaints. I do still have a small area that is still a little numb around the incision but I don't pay much attention. It seems like nothing compared tomthenOA pain we used to have. Good luck with returning to work and with your classes. I know you'll do well and stop by when you can with an update.
 
Evening all..week 19. It's taken a while to send an update apologies!

The hip is improving, slowly but surely. I still get niggly achy pain usually down the front of the thigh muscle but on the whole I can feel things are improving and I'm continuing to remain positive. I'm pretty much doing everything I did pre op without the awful arthritic pain and so that means I'm definitely not resting enough! So easy to over do it still and your hip lets you know when this happens!!

I still have a few weeks off work and have deferred my Uni course for a year due to recovery and emotional recovery due to my personal circumstances prior to my operation.

@GrannyC and @PS46 I enjoyed reading your updates. You're both doing amazingly well and it's been so good to share stories.

@PS46 i hope you're having a fab time in Portugal! Did you set the airport scanner off?
I've deferred my course it's part time, Events Management at UWE. This time next year I feel I will be in a better place both physically and mentally.

I'm so grateful to have found Bonesmart. I can't actually put in to words how supportive, helpful and reassuring it has been. Thank you and I will continue to update my progress.
 
Last edited:
Glad things might be beginning to even up for you Minnie.
I'm 4 months or and life has gotten better all the time.
Hate to say, you can still overdo at this point also.
But, no hip pain...great mobility, just some weird nerve stuff in thighs and stamina still not up to par.
Beautiful beautiful sleep now.
Onward and upward...best wishes!
 
Hi @Minnie15 - Jenny

Having a great time in Portugal, thanks. The weather has been in the early 30s - just the job. My ukulele (small one) is also enjoying Portugal and is having an airing most evenings! We saw a Pink Floyd tribute band give an open air concert last night - just brilliant ...

Back on Monday unfortunately, but I feel all the walking/exercise has done my hip the world of good

Yes, I did set the scanner off, but it was not a problem at all and added about two minutes to the overall process. I told them and they were fine

It sounds like you are doing v well and also sensible to defer your course

Will post more when back home, but keep going and thinking positive thoughts!

Best wishes
Peter
 
Hello Peter @PS46

Delighted to hear all is well in Portugal! Not jealous in the slightest of the 30 degree heat whilst here in Bristol it's 13 degrees and pouring down!!!

Glad the Ukulele is also having a great time. Is your band name 'The Hippies' ?!

I walked with my dog for 4 miles today. My mobility is great when I'm walking although I was aching a little and had to have a lie down when I got back. I'm sure all your walking and the warmth has helped, that's great to hear and you seem to be recovering very well. Do you feel this recovery is quicker or better than when you had the other hip done?

@Mojo333 you're definitely right with your comment regarding over doing it even at four months! Sometimes I do have a slight panic that I'll never be completely 'ache' free. As my arthritic pain fluctuated hugely pre op, the days when I had very low pain I do think to myself will it ever be like that again but I guess at least now I'm never going to experience the horrible arthritic pain I had on many of the days pre op.

I'll be back with further Minnie updates soon!
Over and out.
 
Great to see you @Minnie15 ! It sounds like you are doing fantastic. Four miles is quite a hike. I agree that putting off your course for a bit to give you plenty of time to get back on track. I'm always happy to see your updates and know you are doing well. I feel like I'm doing fine myself and no complaints really. I just keep feeling amazed at how all that OA pain is totally gone! Amazing really but I love it !!
 
Hi @Minnie15 - Jenny

Back to reality unfortunately, but I do feel much better for it. I was a bit apprehensive, as there are lots of steps in Cascais, but it was fine - we even went dancing one night. We were out until 02:00, which is about four hours later than usual! Disgraceful. Actually, I don't think the children believed us, but I feel strongly that it is the duty of parents to embarrass their children

I am actually thinking of forming a small "breakaway" band and there are so many replacement joints between us, it would be difficult to know what to call ourselves. Somebody suggested "The Elderly Brothers" One of my friends wants to play some reggae on the Uke and this could be our niche - who knows?

Interesting question re recovery time. Overall, I would say round about the same time, although some activities, eg shoelaces, were quicker this time, but others, eg walking longer distances, took longer, due to a sore knee

I have seen (still am) a chiropractor this time and she has been brilliant, for flexibility and also my knee. I would recommend it to anybody

Do let me know you are getting on and best wishes
Peter
 
Evening all! I thought I would give a six month update following my recent x-ray and consultation with my surgeon.

Everything is great! At around five months I noticed a massive improvement, going from slight aching with certain movements, to practically zero pain. It is totally amazing to have no arthritic pain, to sleep well and have an extremely good range of movement after initially thinking that I couldn’t imagine walking again let alone sitting on the floor and running up the stairs!
To anyone reading this thinking their recovery is slow... be patient (sound familar?) and try not to run before you can walk! It WILL get better!!

My decision to have the replacement was tough and my personal circumstances added to the misery and doubt but now I know this was so the right decision and I’m glad I made it.

I returned to work a month ago and it’s taken a while to settle. I’ve felt quite disconnected but I guess time will help although maybe this is another decision I need to look at going forward.

@GrannyC how are you? It was great to read how well you’ve recovered and now enjoying a pain free life. Doesn’t time fly! I actually look back and some of the early days were a bit of a blur! I find it incredible how the body heals and accepts the implant.

You’ll be pleased to hear that I’m travelling to the states for my ‘big’ birthday in December. I’m going to stay in Washington DC with the family I was a nanny for age 18. I cannot wait! My son is so excited and my Mum is also coming with us.

So any tips on long haul flights post op would be helpful! I guess the more I move around the better?

@PS46 Peter - how’s things? How’s the band formation looking?
I hope your hip(s) are both good, you’re pain free and enjoying life in Cheltenham?

Happy Halloween my hippy bonesmart friends!
 
Good for you @Minnie15 .
I had BTHR days after you and I now feel the same way about how like changing this surgery us.
The few residual issues I am dealing with are so miniscule in comparison to that debilitating Hop passion that I have never regretted my decision either.
Yay for you.:goodpost::yahoo:
 
So good to see you again @Minnie15 and great to read your update! It sounds like you are doing fantastic!! How exciting!! It is good you were able to take that much time off from work so your recovery could be just about complete when you went back. How exciting that you are coming to the US!! There is so much to see in Washington that you will have a hard time fitting it all in. I forget just how old your son is but we lived near Washington for about ten years when our youngest two boys were growing up and their favorite place to visit was the insect museum in the Natural History Museum I believe it was. There were live insects there!! It will depend on your son's interests but the Air and Space Museum is there, too. Too many attractions to list but I'm sure you'll find the best ones for you and your family with some online searches. Best part is that most of them are free. Keep in mind that it can get cool there in Dec and may even snow. However, it doesn't get as cold as in some parts of the US.

No tips on long haul flights. I think by six months (over 7 months by the time you fly), you don't really have to worry about anything special. I think the moving early on was to prevent blood clots but that time has passed. Have a wonderful time!!
 
Thanks @Mojo333 really good to hear you’re doing well too. Looking back to the early days, I can’t imagine having both hips replaced at the same time! It’s inspiring that you did this and have come through it very well. Well done you!

@GrannyC my American bonesmart friend! Thank you for your advice about our trip. My son is 9 so he will enjoy all the museums and seeing the White House. He asked to meet Donald Trump... I kinda said he was very busy putting Christmas decorations up in December ha!
I lived in DC for a year, so hopefully I’ll recall certain places and I know the family there will want to help us explore again. Very excited.

I’m going to get a pair of those delightful compression socks for the flight!
 
Hi @Minnie15 Jenny

Great to hear from you and especially to hear that you are doing so well

Yes, I am fine thanks and was signed off by my surgeon a couple of months ago. We had our ops at round about the same time - mine was May 2nd. I had the same surgeon, hip and type of op as per last year and my recovery is taking/has taken the same time, although not exactly in the same way!

After a lot of heart searching before my first op, I decided to stop running. This was a particularly difficult decision for me, as I have played competitive sport and run for as long as I can remember. Instead, I will be resuming cycling and have taken up walking, which I am sure has really helped with my hip/s. I do (usually with my wife), between 10k and 15k steps a day

However this may change if I decide to go back to work. As it happens, I have a meeting in London tomorrow and will decide what to after that. I have enjoyed my time off so much (my wife may have a different view!) so much that I will not be returning to work full time. I work for myself

The band is coming along thanks and I am enlisting members! One of my friends wants to do some Uke reggae and I would love that

Enjoy your trip to the USA. I have been to Washington on business a couple of times and enjoyed it very much

We went to Wimbledon in July, prior to which I bought a self inflating cushion. It was excellent and you may want to consider one of these. Otherwise I am sure you will be absolutely fine if you stretch your legs and wiggle your toes from time to time!

Best wishes
Peter
 
Evening my bonesmart friends!
It’s been a while since I posted and replied to anyone..apologies...life and being back at work, just gets in the way at times!

So here I am almost 8 months post op. I love the fact that I forget I’ve had my hip replaced at times! Totally amazing. So pleased and proud that all has gone swimmingly well and my pain is now...what pain? virtually non existent.

So @GrannyC @PS46 Peter @Mojo333
How’s it going? I’ve looked back at everyone’s posts and it’s wonderful to read that normality has resumed and life is good. Two days to Washington @GrannyC !! Can not wait, the excitement in our house is at maximum! I’m very happy to be in the states for my ‘big’ Birthday too. I’ve packed a lot of warm clothes, it looks mighty cold. Having said that it’s bitter here. @PS46 you may have even been building a snowman today?? only sleet in Bristol! How’s the band shaping up? What ‘hippie’ name did you decide on?

Not long til Christmas and so good to actually be able to sit comfortably on the floor, to wrap up presents. I wasn’t saying that last year.

I remember reading someone’s post a few months ago, asking if, post op, they would eventually resume normal activities and would they ever be able to return to basic daily cleaning/tidying chores... I laughed to myself today, as I was on my knees, cleaning up spilled orange juice from the kitchen floor, hoovered the whole house, made a Sunday roast, raked up five bags of leaves from the front of the house, did some ironing and took the dog for a walk! ...and I’m not aching!

There were many moments months ago, that I truly thought I would never walk properly again, that my crutches would be a permanent fixture in the living room, I’d never be able to get dressed without the use of my helping hand gadget, that my swollen knee and foot would never go back to normal and that I’d eventually end up enjoying day time TV!! Keep the faith everyone, patience is a must and all will be well
 
Hahaha - enjoying daytime TV!
Thank you so much for giving an update on all you are able to do while "forgetting" you had a hip replacement!
I have hope. Thank you.
 
@Susan209 @BeBe

It’s so tough in the beginning it really is and unless you’re going through it no one totally understands. Just keep with it and know that each day you’ll see small signs of improvement.

I remember at weeks 9-12 I plateaued and was very disappointed that I wasn’t improving, in fact I asked every question under the sun as to why I still felt in pain and how everything was still so difficult and frustrating. The answers had the common theme ...’umm you’ve just had a major operation!’ or ‘you have to be patient, you will get better!’

So good luck, enjoy that day time TV haha. I had no idea there were so many tv programmes starting ‘Housewives of....!’
 
So good to hear back from you.
Yay Minnie. :yahoo:
I feel the same way...grateful for all the little things that had become so painful and difficult.
There is still progress to be made, but feel like I've been given my life back.
Sounds like you feel the same.
Hope your holidays are splendid!
:dancing:
 
@Mojo333
So glad to hear you’re doing well too that’s great.

Love those moving emojis! That’ll be me dancing on my birthday Friday!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom