New here and terrified

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you about your surgeon and the choice you have made in selecting him. It is hard enough to make the choice in the first place and if you have decided that he is the one, than you should go with your decision and your confidence in him. He obviously has a reason for selecting a particular approach for you. As far as the implant choice goes, it is the same as trusting in your surgeon to make the right choice for your particular type of THR. You must trust his decision. As I understand it, the type he has chosen for you is commonly used in patient over age 60 since as we age, there is a greater chance of falling, and, therefore, fracturing a ceramic head which is much more prone to this as opposed to a metal head. The plastic/poly cup is commonly used with any metal stem and head.

I think you should take your own best advice and "exhale and go with the flow". There are thousands of these performed on a daily basis with great results. I am sure you will do well just like the rest of us. Hang in and check in whenever you need to.. we are all here for you :angel:
 
The implant your surgeon proposes sounds just fine. I think you are doing the right thing by putting your trust in him. You have done good research to find and excellent surgeon and, in the end, this is the person you want to rely on to make the best choices for your particular situation. I have known many, many folks with the posterior approach who do just fine. You will too.
 
When ever I get got in fear, I take a deep breath and then court to five before I exhale. It will be ok. I know its scary but many of us have gotten thru it just fine. Remember to go slow. Remember not to get the joint angrey before surgrey. Now to get ready for the day that you will cross over to recovery. You are smart going with the doctor on what kind he does and is wanting to do. When you need to come here and read and write about your feeling and go to the Social Room. We have games there and lot of other stuff. Please keep us informed on how you are doing. Take care. Tashia
 
Thank you all for your kindness and information -- it IS like having a family to rely on! I just had a fit of anxiety yesterday, and I think it was brought on by a lot of pain and my inability to do things around here that need to be done. Frustration breeds fear for me. So I said NO a lot and I am better this morning, though I could not get comfortable last night and I think I slept maybe two hours.

Peace, love, and gratitude to you.
 
Hi butterfly,

Gosh reading between the lines your having lots of anxious moments.

As you know I am the same as you for being extremely anxious.

I keep reading the posts on the other side.

Almost everyone says they wish they had not waited so long.

Well I'm one who is definately waiting too long.

Your OS sounds pretty good to me ( not that I am an expert)

My OS didn't even mention what he will be using . Of course I didn't think to ask.( remember I had the real dishy helper) lol

I am also allergic to cheap metals , I will have to mention that once I get there.

I think we need o trust these guys and go with the flow on this ? Yeah? No?
A s I am trying to damp down my horrible thoughts all the time, one of the thoughts is ..... Oh just trust them and let it happen.!

I do know my mother had a charnley with a cemented plastic cup. It's now 32 years old. Same the other side and that's 29 years old or there abouts.

I'm still trying to get to that assessment pre op unit. My ear refuses to clear up. So they won't entertain me.

Te Dermy has written to OS to say my groin is well healed. So that's one hurdle.

My anxiety levels are very high again, my mother fell three times last week. She needs care but I am unable to give it her. It's such a worry and such a strain on me. Two of the falls were in then night so we had to go up there late. All very stressful.

Ohh well that's my moan for today whilst trying to give you some comfort. Ha ha :angel: :angel: :angel:

Angie
 
Hi Butterfly I'm sorry you're so anxious and having so much pain. It's definately a familiar story for pre-op patients here! That's exactly why we seek out a good OS and have the surgery done - so we can get back to our lives and not suffer with pain and disability. And that's just what you're planning on doing.

Now it's just a matter of controlling the pain as best you can until you have the THR. Limiting your activity to the necessities is the first step, and taking meds you are able to take them. Check with your GP or primary doctor, or even the OS and see if he thinks NSAIDs will be a choice for you, if you can tolerate them. There's a 'Cocktail' of two meds, both over the counter, posted in the library that you can ask him about. I hear it's also very effective.
If that's not enough and you have pain pills, use them as prescribed if you need to, and if you don't have any, ask the MD to help you. Rest and ice, too. I've found the ice to be tremendously helpful in relieving pain.

Many people find meditation tapes helpful. I just downloaded a pain relief meditation tape on my ipad from itunes by Belleruth Naperstak - I think it's very good. I also purchased a TENS machine from a local chiropractor which has helped.

Pain is one thing none of us want to endure. Try to catch it before it gets too bad, that's the best thing. Once it takes a hold of you, it's harder to get it back under control.

Good luck Butterfly it's not easy, but you can do it! :friends:
 
akphip I think you gave very sensible and excellent advice to Butterfly ! :) How are you doing? You're so fresh post-op and doing such a nice job of helping others! Are you managing your pain ok, resting, icing, elevating? I hope your recovery is coming along well for you. Take care, and as you said to Butterfly "we are all here for you", too!:friends:
 
To be honest, I find it very sad when people set their hearts on a specific approach or implant and then get frantic when they find they are required to accept something else. It's all so unnecessary and people spend and inordinate amount of time reading company websites, believing all the hype and enthusiastic reports about it being the best thing since sliced bread!

Let me say this one more time - the implant choice is the surgeon's choice and mostly what they choose is largely due to the instrumentation that comes with it, the range of sizes and numerous other technicalities that are outside the patient's knowledge or interest.

For you, this is a life changing, monumental event and you see every nuance as something you need to be in control of. That's normal - up to a point. But you have to understand that whether approach or implants, the nitty gritty is about the surgeon's choice not yours. It's what he trained years and years for and that you are paying him the big bucks for - his skill and expertise. Put your trust in that skill and enjoy your new hip. You deserve it!
 
ByGosh. Thanks - I am moving along to get the hip replaced as soon as I can, Sept. 30 was the earliest I could get at the hospital I must use because of my insurance. It's also a great hospital, so I hear, sono complaints about that, I just wish they'd call me up and say somebody cancelled and could I come on down tomorrow?

I'm managing pain as best I can. My PC doc gave me hydrocodone 5/500, i every 8 hours. It does take the edge off a bit, but doesn't really do too much. I'm also adding in ibuprofen because otherwise I could not even get on my feet to go to the bathroom.

I just can't wait to get this hip fixed, then the other one, and get on with life.

Peace and love to you.
 
Oh butterfly! I am so sorry you are in so much pain! I'm glad you will not be getting the anterior approach because of your osteopenia. I have that as well and it is one of the reasons I chose my OS . Another reason I decided against anterior is the danger of nerve damage as I have that in my left arm from a prior surgery. We will both be fine and a lot safer this way :)
 
Butterfly I bet there will be a lot of cheering:yay: on this website when you get to the other side. It is going to make such a wonderful difference in your life. I can't wait to hear your good report after surgery.:spin:
 
Hello Butterfly Maybe your PC will let you increase the med by letting you take it sooner than every 8 hrs if it isn't holding you? Or give you a stronger hydrocodone? They do come in different strengths- I had the 7.5/750. Just a thought. No harm in calling him and telling him you're in a lot of pain and need better pain control.

I understand about waiting lists! Many patients have long waiting lists for their surgeries. It's very hard to wait when you're in pain. If you're lucky, there may be a cancellation sooner, as long as you've put yourself on the cancellation list.
Good luck!
 
Hi ByGosh. I've been looking at your avatar and can't figure out what it is. Of course, my computer won't let me enlarge it big enough so I can really see it, but I've really been wondering . . .

I do think I will call PC and see if he would allow me to increase the pain med. I've heard that they are reluctant to give you too much pre-op because if you are used to it it won't work as well post-op. Dunno if that is true or not. But it wouldn't hurt to ask, and a week ago when I was in his office he recognized how much pain I was having. I can't take tramadol because it doesn't mix with the antidepressant I am taking (Lexapro). Some folks say the tramadol is better. Maybe I should talk to him about changing antidepressants. Most of my depression is pain and crappy lifestyle because of the pain related stuff anyway. Heck, Harold, my doggie, has arthritis and he has better pain control than I do. Hmmmmm . . . .

I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other (figuratively) and get through this next two months and however many days and quit worrying about it so much. I need to get it off the top of my mind. Oddly enough, this forum helps me to do that. Wouldn't you think that writing and reading about hip replacements would keep it in the forefront of your mind? This forum has the opposite effect on me -- maybe because it puts a human face on it and reminds me that others are going through this every day, and I can get my questions answered (no matter how weird they are) and get the loving support of others in this journey.

I AM on their waiting list -- the scheduler told me it is not unusual for them to have a cancellation because if someone gets a cold or flu or something they have to move their surgery back until they are better -- not that I wish getting sick on anyone.

Sorry for the ramble.

Love and peace to you.
 
Poppet Are you doing better today?? Still sending prayers for you and your husband. I truly hope both of you are on the mend.

Love and peace to you both.
 
Hi Butterfly My avatar is one that Bottomshollow, one of the kind moderators, made for me. It's two flowers, and I'd say they are two lovely light peach colored roses, with a blush of pinkish at their tips.

Don't apologize for rambling - it's perfectly fine. I do it myself a lot. About the pain meds -
I'll relay the informtion I've learned about them both. Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic with an NSRI property to it. That means it has some norepinephrine seratonin reuptake inhibition in it. Typical antidepressants, like Lexapro, are SSRIs, which is selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors. Most antidepressants are SSRIs. The concern with taking Tramadol with an SSRI antidepressant, is that there is a possibility of too much seratonin from both of the meds together. I understand that patients can take both, but carefully, and with supervision of the MD so this doesn't happen. I understand also that smaller doses of each doesn't usually cause this to happen.
I don't know ifTramadol is more effective than hydrocodone -I would think it depends on the patient, but it does require weaning becasuse of the NSRI property in it - just like an SSRI needs to be weaned. You can look any of this up on the internet.
I'd think that if Lexapro is working for you, no sense switching, as the newer antidepressants (like for the last 20 years) are all SSRIs anyway. Probably the easiest thing would be to keep working with the pain med you have, but seeing if the MD could make it more effective for you somehow. You can consider calling him and telling him about the pain you're suffering and ask for help. Many patients are on these meds pre-op, and the medical professionals figure out how to provide them pain relief post op, too.
Also, from what I know, the ibuprofen and other over the counter NSAIDS should be taken as directed for best results, sort of before the pain gets so bad. That's true for any pain meds, really.

Using an antidepressant can be very beneficial when there's a difficult situation going on, or whenever it's needed. You'll get through these next 2 months. Keep posting your concerns and worries, and get all the support you can during this time.
I understand perfectly your situation. I've been there, too. I didn't think I'd make it til surgery - until I figured out pain management that worked for me. I took meds first thing when I got up in the AM before the pain hit, went to work for 3 1/2 hrs and sat as much as I could, took the pain meds as prescribed again, and I laid on the couch with ice all afternoon til bedtime. And then I laid in bed with ice. You'll make it - just keep telling yourself you're doing the only thing you can do - having surgery to fix the pain. Remember that it's time-limited, meaning, it will be resolved in two months - not all of it, but you'll be on the road to recovering then. I have a feeling you'll be called sooner because of a cancellation!:)
If you get the pain under better control, you'll worry less, too. How about a hot bath? Rest and ice as much as you can. Call the MD about the pain. If you have an ipad or iphone (or I believe even on your regular computer) - the Univ of Calif at Berkley has free podcasts on meditation, breathing techniques, etc. you can listen to. Maybe there are podcasts on pain, too.
These are all things I've learned through my own experience with my hips. It's not meant to prescribe or give you medical advice. I'm just sharing some of what's worked for me, and for others on this forum.
Good luck Butterfly. You're not in this alone. We'll help you in anyway we can. Talk to you later.:friends: And keep in touch! Helping others helps all of us!
 
Poppet Hi sweetie, I just read @Butterfly's post. Are you folks OK? I hope so! Let me know. :friends:All of us definately want to be here for you, just like you're here for us! Take care.
 
aPoppett Are you guys doing all right? still holding you in my heart and praying for you.

Love and peace.
 
Poppet I don't think my last tag worked. Anyway, I am thinking of you and wonder how you and your husband are doing.

Peace and love.
 
Butterfly I'm sorry if that was too much information I posted about the meds. Don't mean to complicate the issue any. Just trying to shed some light on the situation.
Hope you're doing ok. Hang in there!
PS What happened to Poppet?
 
ByGosh, Butterfly et al - sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. I am doing well but having much difficulty adjusting my pain meds and having lots of heartburn/indigestion as a result which is compounding issues,making it impossible for me to eat. Also, because of my type A personality I was overdoing my exercises - that did not help matters. Oh well, the body always rebels and lets us know when to pull back, rest, ice and elevate!!

Butterfly, I agree with ByGosh's post about medication which was quite comprehensive and informative. However, I think that even if you are taking pain medication before your surgery, there are many classification of these and it is up to your healthcare team to provide you the best pain relief they can, both before AND after surgery. Call you OS and tell him/her that you are not getting adequate control on the schedule provided. Your dosage and frequency can certainly be increased as hydrocodone is usually prescribed on an every 4 to 6 hour schedule.

I am so sorry about your pain and understand how awful it is. Unfortunately, that bone on bone pain is so hard to manage. I literally counted off the weeks until my surgery which I also had to wait 2 months for and worked all the way up to the week before :(. Hang in there - it will be here before you know it and, hopefully, you will get in with a cancellation. Keep calling your surgeon's operating room scheduler to remind her/him that you are available for an earlier date. Remember, the squeaky wheel... There is light at the end of the tunnel :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom