THR New 2 hips now<

Had my hip injection was not aweful really don't want to do it again. Alittle sore Dr said it could take a few days or more to see any change. So resting for a few days. I hope this works. I had same pain when I changed my clothes last nite. Anyone have success? And how long for this to kick in. Thank you all.
 
Glad it's over @Sunnyhippy
I hope it kicks in soon and brings you relief.
Haven't had any experience myself, but hopefully someone stops by who has.
I hope you have a good day!
 
Today is day 3 since injection. No change Dr said it could take a week. Another question is on colonoscopies. They just changed age to have one and I have read that can cause infection in hip. I know Dr recommemds antibiotics but I don't understand how a scope can cause an infection. Its in your bum not all whilly nilly in your body. I don't want to have one because of fear of infection. Anyone know?
 
Hi :hi:
Yes, I heard they just changed it to 45 for your initial.

I think the protocol for this is as varied as antibiotics before dental visits. I guess it's up to you no matter what your OS says unless the gastroenterologist refuses to do the procedure without you taking the antibiotics.

I hope your injection kicks in soon and you have a great weekend!
@Sunnyhippy
 
@Sunnyhippy there is a risk of infection with any invasive medical procedure. I had my first colonoscopy a few months ahead of my THR and didn't realize that for future ones I might have to take antibiotics. Seems like kind of a waste though since when you're prepping everything is just going right through (sorry, that was probably TMI) :heehee:. An infection anywhere in your body can potentially affect a joint implant.
 
Here's an online explanation @Sunnyhippy
Any infection in your body can spread to your joint replacement.
Infections are caused by bacteria. Although bacteria are abundant in out gastrointestinal tract and
on our skin, they are usually kept in check by our immune system. For example, if bacteria make it into
our bloodstream, our immune system rapidly responds and kills the invading bacteria.

However, because joint replacements are made of metal and plastic, it is difficult for the immune system to attack bacteria that make it to these implants. If bacteria gain access to the implants, they may multiply and cause an infection.

Despite antibiotics and preventive treatments, patient with infected joint replacements often require surgery to cure the infection.

The most common ways bacteria enter the body include:
Through breaks or cuts in the skin
During major dental procedures (such as tooth extraction or root canal)
Through wounds from other surgical procedures.

Hope this helps you have a better understanding.
 
@Sunnyhippy I think there is a (small) risk that a colonoscopy can result in a tear in the colon, which would potentially allow bacteria to cause an infection. I'm sure that's in the long list potential risks you have to acknowledge before having such procedures.
 
If you do have a colonoscopy be aware it can hurt your hip...at least it hurt mine when I had one a week ago. I woke up from the sedation and went to move and wow, my hip protested dreadfully. It ached badly after that for two days. I think it was because I was lying on my side without a pillow between my knees.
 
@Gidget
When did you have your hip replaced? And did you take antibiotics before.

Thank you ladies I understand better and don't want to have one. Just another thing to worry about it seems.
 
Hi there :hi:
Is the injection kicking in yet?
Sure hope so.
Hope you had a nice weekend and wishing you a pain free week!
@Sunnyhippy
 
Hi, I haven’t had a hip replacement. I’m not well enough for surgery. I don’t want to turn you off having a colonoscopy. I just wish I’d asked them to put a pillow between my knees as both my hips hurt when I woke up and my right hip was awful for a few days.
 
@Layla
I would say I have been able to lift my leg a few times without pain but then I get a pain in next try. It seems on and off. I don't think it's a great success. Have to see Dr but really just finacially struggling with our high deductible. I have no idea what is next.
 
Fingers crossed it takes better effect :fingersx:
Hope your day is good!
@Sunnyhippy
 
Hello fellow hippies
It's been awhile since my steroid shot. I will say it did help but I still have aches and pain in left hip. I keep putting Dr off but have appt next week. I don't have pain like others describe. I can walk sometimes it aches and sometimes it's ok. I'm just a year out on this side. I wonder if this is just going to be my new normal. Is completely pain free in my cards? The pain is more of a annoyance than before surgery. We shall see what the Dr says.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom