Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

It is huge @71Beetle ...I sent these two pictures to my kids and husband today. The comments I received back were, "Dang!" "Oh my goodness" and "wow that is huge!" My reply..."See, I told you my hip hurt!"

Yes, yes, I am proud of you Bonnie that you are finding solutions that are helping you get your life back on track!:happydance: Now, to hear it from my viewpoint with a broken foot that is slowing me down though, it is just downright scary:scare: To think how fast I will need to be by January!:heehee:
 
Yes, yes, I am proud of you Bonnie that you are finding solutions that are helping you get your life back on track!:happydance: Now, to hear it from my viewpoint with a broken foot that is slowing me down though, it is just downright scary:scare: To think how fast I will need to be by January!:heehee:
Sonja, you will be just fine! January is a long ways away. I've not been able to walk much more than 2 miles because of this leg length thing. You have height (long legs) on your side. One of your strides is at least 1 1/2 strides to me. Short legs, long kegs, broken foot, leg length difference, keep the faith, don't worry about things you cannot change right now. We will be fine because we are strong determined athletic women!!!
 
Bonnie and @RestAssured - You'll make it and I plan to be there watching you. My daughter, who has had teninitis in her heel (different than tendonitis) will be walk/running and I will be there. She has run both the full and half Houston Marathons in the past

My goal is to be able to walk the Texas Heart Institute 5K in the fall, I am not and have never been real athletic and still have bouts with the tendonitis with my knee, along with a loose PCL, but I'm walking most every day - 1.5 miles and working on stepping it up. Kudos to you both.

Dorothy
 
Bonnie and @RestAssured - You'll make it and I plan to be there watching you. My daughter, who has had teninitis in her heel (different than tendonitis) will be walk/running and I will be there. She has run both the full and half Houston Marathons in the past

My goal is to be able to walk the Texas Heart Institute 5K in the fall, I am not and have never been real athletic and still have bouts with the tendonitis with my knee, along with a loose PCL, but I'm walking most every day - 1.5 miles and working on stepping it up. Kudos to you both.

Dorothy
Ok, pictures of the three of us! Motivation motivation motivation!:happydance:
 
@RunA42K and @RestAssured - you're both awesome and I think you guys will give me the final push that I need to enter the Cleveland Half next May. I did that last in 2011 and have always wanted to do it again because it so wasn't the race I wanted (that's a story in itself!) and I still feel I have something to prove. But in 2012 I had a spinal fusion and by 2013 my knee was so bad that I could no longer pretend that a TKR wasn't in my future. And 2014 was, of course, just about 12 weeks after my surgery so 2015....I guess it depends on how quickly my right knee deteriorates but it's a possibility.

My favorite shoes are Newtons. My pain management doctor first recommended them. He and his patient care coordinator are both runners and even wear them in the office. My long distance coach (long distance because he's in NC and I'm in OH though he is a distance runner) is also a fan. We've been moving me into a lower drop shoe so the Newtons are a good fit. I loved my first pair and just bought the new Kismets. I'm also that there's a difference in length between my straightened left leg and my right. It bothers me most when I'm walking downhill so I'm starting to play with some heel lifts.
 
@RunA42K ,

The verdict is in! I am in a cast to see if the displaced bone will heal without surgery. If we don't see progress in 6 weeks, they will go in and pin it together! Then it will be another 6-12 weeks. If there is healing going on, then they are going to leave my foot in the cast for a total of 12 weeks!:doh: Getting a little nervous, but they put a waterproof cast on so I can continue to work out w Abby! LOL. That cast will drag me to the bottom of the pool!:rotfl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RunA42K , I went shopping this afternoon to the nearest specialist running shop, about 15 miles away. I tried on all their asics and they were all too narrow across the toes. My toes do not go to a point , but all are much the same length. Then I tried on his last suggestion a Puma Complete Veris W and they fitted a lot better. I went with them because hubby didn't want to trail round any more shops with me. I had to get a size7.5 (41) when
I usually get a 6 (39). They look huge on. I hope they will be OK.
 
Glad you found some shoes that fit! Sizing is all over the place between shoe brand, you have to go with what fits.
 
@RunA42K ,
Just wanted to stop by and Thank You! for your shoe advice, helped me so much at the shoe store, I knew exactly what type of shoe to ask for (Neutral). The Brooks Ghost 7, fit the best. Will give them a test drive at home to be sure they are the right shoes. They were the most comfortable and the only ones that did not tweak my knee.
I know you are busy with your new job, hope it is going well.
How is your knee doing?
Have a Happy 4th of July weekend!
 
@RunA42K. Hope you are doing okay. Haven't heard from you in a bit.

Happy July 4th!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@RunA42K

Hi Bonnie! I've spent several days here following your story. I've made it to page 93 so far :sneaker: I have to finish up but thought I would give you a suggestion for a new thread title :heehee: Please see post #1851 on page 93 for the condensed version of my story :rotfl: (only kidding of course). I can never skip ahead in a book to see what happens or why it happened. I have to read the story, page by page, in order and that's what I've done with your story. During your first TKR I felt so good for you that you were progressing so well and then I felt so bad for you when things took a turn for the worst. When your husband was so sick I felt very sad for you and was elated for you when he finally got to come home. I was angry at your original OS for not listening to you and cheered you on when you decided to take matters into your own hands and seek other opinions. I hoped and prayed the scar tissue removal would be your answer but it wasn't and so here you are nursing another new knee back to full health. I felt all these emotions for you over about a 3 day span. I can't imagine how you have felt and the roller coaster of emotions you have experienced over several YEARS :yikes: of your journey. Please keep posting your progress as you have time. You are an inspiration. An example of what it is to not give up or give in. I have 24 days until my 1st TKR and have learned a lot from you, so thank you!
 
@gr82cu2 @RestAssured @Pumpkln @busylizzie @turtle68 @71Beetle @Oldie @susie09

Wow everyone!!! So glad that you kept my thread going in my absence...about 10 days? I am so happy that so many of you are finding great answers for your shoes. I am so happy that I've been able to help you. @busylizzie I know just the Puma's that you are talking about, they are nice and wide. We used to sell Puma's but don't any longer so that is why I had not mentioned them on here, kinda like out of sight, out of mind. As far as the Asics being too narrow, Asics is a shoe that is cut more narrow than say a Brooks or a Puma, but they also come in WIDE widths. We sell 2A B and D width for women. Maybe you tried on a D width or maybe the store you went to didn't carry wide widths. No worries because you found something that you like! Believe me...You feet don't look big...you are just not used to the extra room but your feel are loving it, I promise you that! I measure US size 6.5 but all my running shoes are US size 7.5 I even have a couple of 8's too. Shoe sizes are all over the place you just don't have a size written in stone, you must try them all on as some run short, some true to size and some long.

@gr82cu2 Janet, I was so touched by your note to me, actually taking so much time to read through all that. Yes, life has been a roller coaster for me for about 4 years now, but I've learned just how strong I am with everything that I've been though and I know I will be where I want to be one day. Never give up, always try, never settle...keep your eye on the prize!! I wish you the very best of luck on the 29th of July and I will make a point to follow your thread to check in on you. Just remember...if it does not seem right, it may not be. Ask questions and if you don't like the answers, then ask someone else. It's your quality of life and you have every right to expect to be feeling good (eventually)!

@susie09 I am happy that you love your Newton's. I've owned about 5 pair of them. I've sold all but one pair on e-bay. I'm keeping one...I like the color! I tired to teach myself to run in Newton's knowing that the forefoot running would take stress off of the knee and work the hamstring and calves harder. But...I am a natural heel striker so I went back to more traditional running shoes because trying to run different that what came natural took the fun out of it for me. Of course for just walking around they are fine, but anyone with Achilles problems should steer clear as with the heel to toe offset with the heel lower it stretches the achilles more than a shoe of 10mm - 12mm height.

@Oldie I still have the pes anserine tendonitis but it has improved. I was quite discouraged for several weeks and probably part of the reason why I was not back on here for 10 days or so, I really didn't have any good news to report and yes, I've been busy with work and I get really tired in the evening. I know that when I get on Bonesmart that I'll spend some time here so I wanted to wait till I had some quality time to get back to all of you. I've had about 1/2 dozen dexamethasone patches so far.

@Pumpkln Hey Chris!! The Brooks Ghost is one of our biggest selling shoes. The Ghost 7 comes in some pretty colors, which one did you get? My favorite color is Hawaiian Blue. Although I don't own a pair if I did I'd get Hawaiian Blue!!

@71Beetle Thank you for checking on me a couple of times. I hope that you had a Happy 4th of July too! I really am doing ok, nothing but the usual...always wanting more of myself and having to be satisfied with what I have...so far!

@turtle68 Dorothy that is awesome that you will be on the course in January. We'll have to coordinate before hand as to where you will be, and I'll let you know what I'll be wearing so you'll be able to spot me. But walking with Sonja...we should be noticeable. She 6ft tall, me 5'2" and me trying to shuffle along as fast as I can to keep up with her stride. Maybe I'll do that heart walk that you are doing too!!

@RestAssured Like I've told you before, you will be fine. Official training season for the Houston Aramco 1/2 marathon begins in October. You are already motived and in great shape, P L E A S E don't worry!!!!

Ok...now me! This past Monday I was able to get my ROM back up to 118 degrees at Physical Therapy. I was pumped and was ready to go back on Thursday and push it to 120...that didn't happen. But...Since I got me new orthotics I'd just been dying to try walking further so on Wednesday (3 days ago) I walked 4 1/2 miles. That was literally the furthest I had traveled on my own to feet in about 1 1/2 years. It felt great to be outside exercising and getting sweaty again!! So the next day I go to Physical Therapy, my PT asks how I am feeling and I say...w e l l. my shins hurt! Yes walking 4.5 miles gave me sore shins and a stiff knee but we worked through it gradually and before I was done I did reach 118 degrees again like I did on Monday. So yesterday I did work in the morning and in the late afternoon I walked 4.55 miles. I am just loving this!! I've got to rest up some before Physical Therapy on Monday but I'll walk again on Sunday morning but only about 3 miles, then its pool time! So no bike outside yet, but I'll get there. I'm just so happy that I can walk for a longer distance now.

Oh and on July 3rd the article about my doctor and me was released throughout the hospital system where he is and where my revision was. Beginning Monday July 7, it will be released to news media. Hummm, I wonder if I should send a copy to my original OS!!
:heehee::rotfl::heehee::rotfl::heehee::rotfl:
I'll see if I can attach a copy of it here on my thread. It does not mention Bonesmart but that will be up to me to drop that name when and if I get interviewed!

So thank you all for checking on me, I'm sorry I was tardy in getting back here. You all are the best!!
 
@RunA42K

You're welcome! I also meant to say a couple of other things to you.

First, I'm so sorry about Molly. We had a beautiful Siamese mix kitty named Schatzi that was the best kitty ever. In 2007 I had a major abdominal surgery and was laid up in the recliner for 9 weeks. Schatzi was my constant companion, sleeping on the recliner with me and when I was awake he laid on the arm of the chair and would reach out to paw my arm and give me kitty kisses. He died very suddenly and unexpectedly at the age of 7 a few months later. I still haven't stopped mourning for him I don't think.

Also, I WANT YOUR POOL!!!! :rofsign:
 
@RunA42K ,

My friend Patsy, Mom and I are talking about making a trip to the Woodlands sometime before school starts. She is a school nurse so she has to be back. Her son lives in Katy so she wants to visit him. Maybe we could arrange a pre-meet before January, so I won't have to look though a sea of a thousand blonde runners at the marathon! :heehee:
 
I have the silver/mulberry Ghost 7, plan on purchasing another pair, most likely the Hawaiian blue. Who knows I could end up with all three colors. My challenge will be how soon I breakdown the lateral heel.
Wonderful to hear how far you are walking, the shin splints will clear up. Sounds like you ROM is there to ride your bike outside when you are ready.
Have a great week!
 
@RunA42K , thank you for your update. The physio showed me how to tie the tops of the laces, I hadn't done it that way before. They still look huge on, plenty of space inside when they are on. I still struggle some days to get my left foot in as it does still swell up. I have my right leg raiser still in place, but I'm unsure of the leg length difference I have at the moment. I'll have to get it measured now I'm walking more. It is harder to put my feet in my exercise bike foot stirrups because my feet are so big, I guess that I'll get used to it. These Pumas will do for the summer but I'll have to get more waterproof ones for later when the weather gets bad. Still I'll have more time to shop next time.

Thanks again for your advice
 
@busylizzie When you look for waterproof, know that a lot of shoes are made with a Gortex upper to repeal water. Nike makes several models and they have the word 'shield' in their name. Also Asics has the model called the 2000 in a water repeal shoe (remember Asics comes in wide and can be ordered). Do some research online and when the time comes you can ask for certain models which also can be ordered in if they don't stock them. If they carry the brand...they can get any shoe. There are other brands out there too so do your research first...knowledge is power!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom